USPGA - how to watch?

Dogma

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't think it's too bad if I'm honest.

Once you get your head around the fact you have to sign up and then remember to cancel, it's OK.

Coverage is in high quality on my ipad, so I can't complain.

Seb on Golf is an abomination as usual (loves a point at the camera) but the lady on course commentator (is it Sarah?) is very good.

So much better than that Henni they're pushing on Sky Sports.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't think it's too bad if I'm honest.

Once you get your head around the fact you have to sign up and then remember to cancel, it's OK.

Coverage is in high quality on my ipad, so I can't complain.

Seb on Golf is an abomination as usual (loves a point at the camera) but the lady on course commentator (is it Sarah?) is very good.

So much better than that Henni they're pushing on Sky Sports.

I have a 50 inch telly. Not boasting, they are cheap. Why would I want to watch on an ipad?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a 50 inch telly. Not boasting, they are cheap. Why would I want to watch on an ipad?

Always a way around things.. no lag.. 50 inch. Decent viewing

They are also working on getting the app on smart TVs long term like YouTube is available on tvs

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, but what's the benefit to the viewer?

We have enjoyed perfectly acceptable high definition coverage now for years. Why do we need to be held to ransom because some new player wants to muscle in on the action?

They'll bring nothing new to the table for the viewers and I couldn't give a monkey's chuff about their shareholders.

In my view they are quite simply ten years too late.

Last edited:

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well tried to watch it - course looks boring from what we have seen , the US Commentary is shocking , the ElevenSports isn’t any better , hardly showing any golf because they seem to go to an advert every 2 mins

Only 5k watching it on Facebook

I guess it’s going to show how minority golf is outside the Open

Thought this was the way forward though? Access for everybody, no monopoly, online streaming that all the kids are into these days?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, but what's the benefit to the viewer?

We have enjoyed perfectly acceptable high definition coverage now for years. Why do we need to be held to ransom because some new player wants to muscle in on the action.

They'll bring nothing new to the table for the viewers and I couldn't give a monkey's chuff about their shareholders. In my view they are quite simply ten years too late.

Blame sky. They were unwilling to pay what the uspga wanted.. otherwise this wouldn’t be an issue

Can’t wait for bt to get some of the golf off sky.

Dogma

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You’d want to watch it on an iPad when the PGA sold the rights to a Major to a company that only streams it online.

That’s why.

At the end of the day, if you want to watch it, you can via Eleven Sports or IPTV.

If you want to watch it on your 50 inch TV and not via any other medium (purely because you have a large TV), then unless you do what Paul has done, you won’t be watching any live golf this weekend.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You’d want to watch it on an iPad when the PGA sold the rights to a Major to a company that only streams it online.

That’s why.

At the end of the day, if you want to watch it, you can via Eleven Sports or IPTV.

If you want to watch it on your 50 inch TV and not via any other medium (purely because you have a large TV), then unless you do what Paul has done, you won’t be watching any live golf this weekend.

I’m amazed how many people are willing to cut their nose to spite their face on this

It’s a free trial .. hopefully sky will get the rights back next year but this year it isn’t a problem

Just like last year bbc we could still watch it

When we have to actually pay to watch it separate to the sky high sky prices we already have to pay to watch golf. Then it’s an issue

Until then people need to just enjoy what we can watch for free

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Blame sky. They were unwilling to pay what the uspga wanted.. otherwise this wouldn’t be an issue

Can’t wait for bt to get some of the golf off sky.

True. It’s something that I find infuriating after they consistently overbid for football every year.

If Sky Sports offered a subscription with a 66% discount for dropping football I drop it in a heartbeat.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
True. It’s something that I find infuriating after they consistently overbid for football every year.

If Sky Sports offered a subscription with a 66% discount for dropping football I drop it in a heartbeat.

Also sky is loosing more and more of its product yet are the prices going down? Are they hell

They lost the champions league to BT

They lost La Liga to elevensport

They lost the pga full stop

How long before bt wrestles more premier league from them and elevensport maybe do a deal to get the us open aswell...

Eleven sport seems reasonable pricing.. £60 a year upfront..

Bt throw their product at you for free if you use other services .. even included it free to virgin customers

What have sky done? Thrown a few free broadband offers (for crap broadband) st people?!

Sky need to half their prices .. to reflect what they actually have to show.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can’t say I disagree, Paul. I have BT Broadband and negotiated my latest deal with them to include the full BT Sports package for 75p a month.

Mind, I’m yet to use the service but should they actually get their mits on Golf I would not be too sad.

Sky is now grossly overpriced and I still only have it as I nailed them to the floor when negotiating my latest deal.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can’t say I disagree, Paul. I have BT Broadband and negotiated my latest deal with them to include the full BT Sports package for 75p a month.

Mind, I’m yet to use the service but should they actually get their mits on Golf I would not be too sad.

Sky is now grossly overpriced and I still only have it now as I nailed them to the floor when negotiating my latest deal.

If I didn’t have skygo access from my father I would so be looking at now tv

I pay £50 a month to bt to have broadband , phone and tv including bt sport

Now tv for example right now £179 for a 10 month pass to sky sports.. normally £33 a month

Much cheaper than going to sky for tv and broadband ..

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Question I wonder is how many more people would have signed up if they had got the app working for smart TVs / amazon fire sticks or whatever to enable you to watch via the tv ?

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well tried to watch it - course looks boring from what we have seen , the US Commentary is shocking , the ElevenSports isn’t any better , hardly showing any golf because they seem to go to an advert every 2 mins

Only 5k watching it on Facebook

I guess it’s going to show how minority golf is outside the Open

:rofl: :rofl:

Have you actually been watching Phil!? :confused:

Rest of your post is opinion so fair play but I've been watching all night via the website and there's hardly been any adverts (compared to the usual Sky production of US coverage) plus they've showed more golf (rather than just putts) than you usually get from the average PGA tour event.

Visit site
Looks like it a pain to watch back there in the Uk. My mate said he watched Rory, Tiger and Justin for free as a featured group on his ipad/iphone through the PGA Championship 2018 app available on App store or Google play. someone might have mentioned it already, but cannot be bothered to look through 12 pages of posts to see if they have. I think there is another feature group of afternoon starters still on now.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They just announced ElevenSports to show 6 lady golf events

Could long term ElevenSports wrestle the European tour away from sky

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
:rofl: :rofl:

Have you actually been watching Phil!? :confused:

Rest of your post is opinion so fair play but I've been watching all night via the website and there's hardly been any adverts (compared to the usual Sky production of US coverage) plus they've showed more golf (rather than just putts) than you usually get from the average PGA tour event.

Just to expand a bit, I've enjoyed watching the golf tonight and just realised it's because all I've been doing is watching the golf.....

There are zero studio segments/Sky Carts/Ken on the Course garbage bits going on. It's literally golf, a single advert every 15/20 mins then back to golf.

They've done a pretty good job I'd say, infinitely better in that regard than the BBC last year (and Sky most weeks) :thup:

Last edited:

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just to expand a bit, I've enjoyed watching the golf tonight and just realised it's because all I've been doing is watching the golf.....

There are zero studio segments/Sky Carts/Ken on the Course garbage bits going on. It's literally golf, a single advert every 15/20 mins then back to golf.

They've done a pretty good job I'd say, infinitely better in that regard than the BBC last year (and Sky most weeks) :thup:

yep, agree with this. Managed to cast from my iPad to the firestick and picture quality and sound were great. Not sure if PGA app will screen the weekend but signed up for eleven sport trial anyway so all good. Another bonus for me is absolutely no chance of the melt that is Mark Roe ruining the coverage! :blah:

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Always a way around things.. no lag.. 50 inch. Decent viewing

They are also working on getting the app on smart TVs long term like YouTube is available on tvs

Well, I don't have a smart TV, and as I have zero internet in my TV room, despite Sky installing 4 boosters in my house, it would not work anyway. This rules out any sort of streaming.

I can watch on a tablet downstairs, but I find I need a much bigger screen to see the ball.

Rumour has it, the next to go down the streaming route will be the Masters. I can pretty much guarantee that this sort of rubbish experiment will not be for the American audience, who will continue to get golf on the telly.

D

Deleted member 15344

Let me also expand.

I watched it on iPhone from the Facebook thread

First you have all those constant comments from people flooding on the screen and the viewing of it wasn’t great

In the just under an hour I watched they did show more than just putting which is good , but you could see when the US Coverage went to a quick break because in popped someone from ElevenSports and explained what had happened and then after a minute or so went back to the golf , that seemed to happen every 8 mins or so , totally agree that you weren’t flooded by”Skyzone” etc etc which is good , the commentary just didn’t add anything but better than Roe and Co

The young lady I have seen from Golf World and see is good , far better than that Henni lady but Seb is shocking and can see him being binned off

For a service that people will have to pay for after this event then it needs to improve massively.

But it’s the future and can only see more sport going the same way because Sky I don’t think can keep affording to pay out millions because “apparently” their Subscribers are dropping off with costs going up but services going down

Tonight I’ll watch it on my laptop so hopefully that might be a bit better

But it’s not great when they had far more time to prepare than the BBC yet couldn’t even launch it when the big “marquee” group started

I thought you would be happy. Free to air, not on Sky, not behind a pay wall.

It’s not really free to air though is it - this is an initial trial and after it’s behind a pay wall

Because I believe it’s not just a year contract they have got it for a few years - so it’s not going to be back on Sky