US open

huttonline

Club Champion
golfshot.com
Anyone managed to see anything of the US open? I guess you need sky...

interesting to hear Tiger and co. bemoaning the quality of the greens. From the photos I can find around of Pebble beach this week, the greens don't look stunning, but isn't that part of being a pro golfer - able to play in any conditions etc.?

makes mortals such as me feel better about my putting (and my club's iffy greens) anyway!

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
The trouble is, at the pace they have those greens, any imperfections make putting an almost impossible task. Quick & bobbly is a frightening combo!!

Got the impression from the coverage that the golf tournament is a bit secondary to the course and, more "importantly", it's stunning location.

B

birdieman

Watched a bit but the 8 hr time difference from US Pacific time menas it goes on too late.
The course is just as the USGA want it - very tough. The wind was up and scoring was hard but that's what the US Open is all about, it's never a birdie fest. I didn't think the greens were unfair, you have to be below the hole with your approach.

Patience is absolutely key. Those that don't lose it mentally when they 4 putt will fare best.

Casey and Poulter have a good chance this week, especially Poulter as his short game is excellent and you don't need to be long off the tee at Pebble.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Saw about an hour and a half before I passed out at 12:30!

Some good golf, some bad golf. Felt a bit bad for Lee, but nice job getting 3 consecutive birds down the stretch to keep at 3 over. A patient day today could see him back in contention.

Excited to see what Poulter and Casey can do this week though, I think they've both got a real chance.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
To be honest I think castle Stuart, rcd, ardglass, turnberry etc are all far more breathtaking.
The commentator on espn said the par three along the water was the most photographed in golf, nonsense. The 1st/18th st Andrews, 17th saw grass, any of amen corner etc would easily be ahead.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
There's a young chap out there that's put himself in a decent position.

Goes by the name of Mickleson. Looks like he's got a future in the game.

Great to watch him and Paddy, wandering around, chatting and smiling.

You'd think they were enjoying the game. Not sure we can allow that. More swearing and club throwing, please, we want our world number one to be a sourfaced git.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Poulter did a nice brain exploding karate log chop with his wedge last night, anyone else see it?

Sharkattack, google images, you'd be surprised how many photos exist. Even google earth, when you zoom down onto Augusta. The amount of tagged photos are brilliant.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Totally disliked Poulter slamming his club at the par 5 but after a dreadful start he did well to limit the dameage. Westwood and Harrington need to kick on but all in all the Europeans are faring OK

B

birdieman

Can't understand the qualifying procedure for the US open when Justin Rose, who won the Memorial merely a fortnight ago, doesn't get in - he would have had a good shout this week for not only the win but Fedex and RC points. Also Ricky Fowler has had 3 2nd places on the PGA tour this year but doesn't get in?
All these also rans get in that we've never heard of.
It's great to let some of these lesser lights in as it is an Open but not at the expense of some of the best players in the world is it?
A PGA tour win in the same year at least should be good enough to qualify for the US open I think.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Can't understand the qualifying procedure for the US open when Justin Rose, who won the Memorial merely a fortnight ago, doesn't get in - he would have had a good shout this week for not only the win but Fedex and RC points. Also Ricky Fowler has had 3 2nd places on the PGA tour this year but doesn't get in?
It's great to let some of these lesser lights in as it is an Open but not at the expense of some of the best players in the world is it?
A PGA tour win in the same year at least should be good enough to qualify for the US open I think.

Totally agree. I think a PGA win should qualify you by right. Perhaps a list of the top 5-10 PGA events (Memorial, Players, Bay Hill etc) where the winner gets in by right and the others are then guaranteed a spot at final qualifying

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

100% agreed. I don't know half the players.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be fair, the USGA exemption policy is pretty transparent and much more global than it used to be and is now not very different from The R&A's rules for The Open. Players either qualify through a fill exemption or through local qualifying, and theoretically any 1 handicapper can qualify. Rose was not in the top 50 of the OWGR within the deadline, nor in any of the other categories:

Winners of the U.S. Open Championship the last 10 years (2000-2009)

Winner and runner-up of the 2009 U.S. Amateur Championship (must be an amateur)

Winners of the Masters Tournament the last five years (2006-2010)

Winners of the British Open Championship the last five years (2005-2009)

Winners of the PGA of America Championship the last five years (2005-2009)

Winners of the 2010 Players Championship the last three years (2008-2010)

Winner of the 2009 U.S. Senior Open Championship

15 lowest scorers and anyone tying for 15th place at the 2009 U.S. Open Championship

Top 30 money leaders from the 2009 final official PGA Tour money list

Those qualifying for the season-ending 2009 Tour Championship

Top 15 money leaders from the 2009 final official PGA European Tour money list

Top 10 money leaders from the 2010 official PGA Tour money list, through May 24 (must have filed an entry by April 28)

Any multiple winner of PGA co-sponsored events whose victories are considered official from June 21, 2009, through June 13, 2010

Top five money leaders from the 2010 official PGA European Tour money list, through May 24

Top two money leaders from the 2009 final official Japan Golf Tour money list, provided they are within the top 75 point leaders of the World Ranking at the end of the year

Top two money leaders from the 2009 final official PGA Tour of Australia money list, provided they are within the top 75 point leaders of the World Ranking at the end of the year

Top 50 point leaders from the current World Ranking, as of May 24

Any player whom the USGA selects for an exemption on the basis of his playing record (must have filed an entry by April 28)

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just saw some highlights of yesterday, that pin position at 14 was evil. I just watched Zach Johnson and YE Yang go from one side to the other and back again. It made the pair of them look pretty stupid but as the commentator said, it's not supposed to be easy and there's been a few birdies so it's not impossible :)

dirkdorf

Visit site
watched Tiger play the shot of the year on 18 last night, message to everybody else be afraid be very afraid, no great fan of Tiger but this was special.
Rooting for the Europeans aprt from G Mac and Havret they may be too far back.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
watched Tiger play the shot of the year on 18 last night, message to everybody else be afraid be very afraid, no great fan of Tiger but this was special.

Which one was the special shot? - The tee shot that left him behind the tree or the missed eagle putt?

;) ;) ;)