US Open

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Been watching Rick Shiels videos on one he played a 16 year old lad off +7, I can’t think there would be many 12 year olds that could get to scratch.

Swango1980

Visit site
Been watching Rick Shiels videos on one he played a 16 year old lad off +7, I can’t think there would be many 12 year olds that could get to scratch.
Tiger Woods and McIlroy were a little older, 13, when they first got to scratch. A kid called Jonathan Hong from Australia became a scratch golfer at the age of 9. Although their handicap system had changed to pretty similar to what we have now, compared to the system Woods and McIlroy played to. So not sure how comparable they are.

Anoetic

Visit site
There are a huge number of differences between the US and UK university systems and how they deal with sport. In the US it seems you go university to become a professional sports person, in the UK you go to university to get an education and sport comes second.
I played golf at a UK university and had reduced membership fees at a very good local course, professional tuition, sponsorship from local businesses, and played in the European student championships (one year was at St Andrew’s, 72 holes on the old and new courses ?) But this was miles away from anything that could be described as ‘American like’.

Also the weather is better so you don’t have to spend months hitting balls on a driving ranges or freezing your arse off on a Sunday morning playing in the winter league.

sunshine

Visit site
Agreed, I’m loving the look and feel of Brookline. A ‘real’ golf course ?

140 years old. It’s nice to see a bit of history, even if the course is quirky. I’m a fan.

Ironically it isn’t a “real” course as it’s a composite of two different courses and they have even merged two shorter holes together to create a long par 4.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There are a huge number of differences between the US and UK university systems and how they deal with sport. In the US it seems you go university to become a professional sports person, in the UK you go to university to get an education and sport comes second.
I played golf at a UK university and had reduced membership fees at a very good local course, professional tuition, sponsorship from local businesses, and played in the European student championships (one year was at St Andrew’s, 72 holes on the old and new courses ?) But this was miles away from anything that could be described as ‘American like’.

Also the weather is better so you don’t have to spend months hitting balls on a driving ranges or freezing your arse off on a Sunday morning playing in the winter league.
I think at most US Universities you are expected to take the academic side seriously as well as the golf and the weather closes golf in some US states for a lot longer than the UK, it's a big country.

Anoetic

Visit site
I think at most US Universities you are expected to take the academic side seriously as well as the golf and the weather closes golf in some US states for a lot longer than the UK, it's a big country.
Yes, you are absolutely right but there definitely choice universities to choose from for golf in the same way there are for American football, baseball, etc.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
140 years old. It’s nice to see a bit of history, even if the course is quirky. I’m a fan.

Ironically it isn’t a “real” course as it’s a composite of two different courses and they have even merged two shorter holes together to create a long par 4.
Ha! Nothing wrong with change to a course to upgrade it to be the challenge wanted - even if the change is that dramatic. There's competition between courses just as there is between players.
Would you have TOC go back to playing 18 holes over 9 fairways? If you can name a course, that's been on the Pro circuit for a long time, that hasn't been extended to cater for 'modern' distances, I'd be amazed!

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Rory doing what Rory does best these days. Playing himself out of contention in the space of half a dozen holes. He needs to steady the ship quickly.

BearcatGolf

Visit site
American here and my son will be playing at a Division I (top division in NCAA) university in the mid-west (Ohio). He just graduated high school. The best golf universities are generally down south (University of Florida, Univ of Georgia, Vanderbilt, Texas, Oklahoma, Ok State) and out west (Arizona State, Stanford, UCLA). The weather is their biggest advantage recruiting wise. They recruit their region plus nationally and internationally. Many top college programs have international kids on the roster. It really depends on the coach and his recruiting style.

My son will get a scholarship for 40% off tuition, room and board plus equipment, apparel, etc. Academics are very important and his golf coach will have guidelines for the players to meet on the academic side. The university will also provide student-athletes additional resources on the academic side. The NCAA has weekly guidelines on practice hours and number of rounds in a season. Of course the kids are "expected" to practice on their own in addition to the coach's mandated practice schedule.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Surprisingly Rory has stated in the past he doesn’t enjoy playing in the conditions he’s facing today, he must of had plenty of experience having played so much in Ireland, but couple birdies on back nine and he will be in contention tomorrow.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surprisingly Rory has stated in the past he doesn’t enjoy playing in the conditions he’s facing today, he must of had plenty of experience having played so much in Ireland, but couple birdies on back nine and he will be in contention tomorrow.
There it is - nobody has really been tearing it up today so he's back to only two shots back now.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
This Is a tough challenge. Makes a great change from the weekly puttfests
Seems to me that they've gone OTT with presenting a challenge - though, of course, it's the same for everyone. 12-14 Stimp greens where there are already serious slopes; deep rough where finding the ball is difficult enough, let alone playing a 'recovery' shot.
As a consequence, the aggressive players have had either tone back their approach or suffer the consequences. I'm not sure the winner is actually going to be the 'best' golfer, simply the golfer who handled the conditions best!
That said, Morikawa seems to be handling them really well and I'd be happy to see him win - again.
USGA seems to have an obsession that Par is the score that the best players in the world should be aiming for in 'their' tournament - and I disagree with that attitude!