US Open

Swango1980

Visit site
Seems to me that they've gone OTT with presenting a challenge - though, of course, it's the same for everyone. 12-14 Stimp greens where there are already serious slopes; deep rough where finding the ball is difficult enough, let alone playing a 'recovery' shot.
As a consequence, the aggressive players have had either tone back their approach or suffer the consequences. I'm not sure the winner is actually going to be the 'best' golfer, simply the golfer who handled the conditions best!
That said, Morikawa seems to be handling them really well and I'd be happy to see him win - again.
USGA seems to have an obsession that Par is the score that the best players in the world should be aiming for in 'their' tournament - and I disagree with that attitude!
I don't mind the course being set up brutal. Wouldn't want to see it every week, but it makes a nice change. Different challenge.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't mind the course being set up brutal. Wouldn't want to see it every week, but it makes a nice change. Different challenge.
I (mainly) agree. They (USGA for their Open) just seem to go a bit OTT with brutality - to the detriment of the tournament imo. I remember Lefty putting off the green in one a while ago and there were instances of virtual unplayability in the 2020 one that BdC won.
To me, there's nothing wrong with 'stretching' players, but I'd sooner see a major that has a pretty even variety of tests cf one that's simply brutal everywhere as this seems to be.
Penal rough, narrow fairways, slopey greens running at 14 or more! I'd hate to see the chaos if that combination was applied at Pebble Beach!

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Penal rough, narrow fairways, slopey greens running at 14 or more!

Brooklines greens have been setup at 12, pretty much the same as a PGA Tour event.

As I’ve commented earlier, I think the course looks fantastic and is playing beautifully. It’s exactly what many people say they’d like to see - the pros playing courses like we have to play (green speeds excepted). But it’s funny how “those” people change their view for the sake of having an argument.

Swango1980

Visit site
I (mainly) agree. They (USGA for their Open) just seem to go a bit OTT with brutality - to the detriment of the tournament imo. I remember Lefty putting off the green in one a while ago and there were instances of virtual unplayability in the 2020 one that BdC won.
To me, there's nothing wrong with 'stretching' players, but I'd sooner see a major that has a pretty even variety of tests cf one that's simply brutal everywhere as this seems to be.
Penal rough, narrow fairways, slopey greens running at 14 or more! I'd hate to see the chaos if that combination was applied at Pebble Beach!
That being said, there are still 9 players under par, 4 of whom are in the top 10 of the World Rankings, and 6 of whom are in the top 20.

So, I'd say the leaderboard doesn't suggest it is unplayable in general, and the best players are still heavily featured at the top.

I'm sure there are individual locations on the course that are not at up perfectly, edging on overly penal.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm not sure the winner is actually going to be the 'best' golfer, simply the golfer who handled the conditions best!
You could apply this to virtually any tournament.
Tiger didn't win every time while he was #1...
The winner is the guy who plays the best (or least worst) over the 4 days.
Yes, they may have made it a bit tougher than necessary but it beats 60 yard wide fairways and no rough courses they commonly play every day of the week.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Brooklines greens have been setup at 12, pretty much the same as a PGA Tour event.
I've seen and played stimp 12 greens - and even faster once - and these seem to be significantly faster than that. So many putts just keep rolling and they can't all be downhillers! Growth during the day of greens with Poa in the mix normally counteract any speed increase due to 'baking' too.
Edit: Just found a article where Head GK states 12.5 stimp, so the apparently excessive roll must be from slopes.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You could apply this to virtually any tournament.
Tiger didn't win every time while he was #1...
The winner is the guy who plays the best (or least worst) over the 4 days.
Yes, they may have made it a bit tougher than necessary but it beats 60 yard wide fairways and no rough courses they commonly play every day of the week.
As I posted earlier, I'd sooner see a 'balanced' test albeit somewhat/noticeably more difficult than the normal PGA Tour courses - majors ARE special. I'm also not a fan of 'Bomb and Gouge' courses.
USGA seems to have this obsession with setting up Open courses so that a few shots under Par is the winning score. In that, they've been pretty successful, but I'm dubious about the 'entertainment' value - save watching the best in the world struggle like club players.
The Open has a much better approach imo, especially at St Andrews - setting the course up to be difficult but nowhere near unplayable, letting the weather determine the severity of the test and not particularly minding whether the winning score is around Par or -20!

Swango1980

Visit site
He's setting himself up for a meaningless 64 on Sunday :cry:

This Is a tough challenge. Makes a great change from the weekly puttfests
If he shoots a 64 in the final round, good chance it won't be meaningless. He struggled on front 9. But his pars down the final stretch were hard earned, and have given him a shout

D

Deleted member 15344

The set up for the US Open is spot on , there are birdies out there whilst there are also double bogeys if mistakes are made

The greens aren’t tricked up , the rough is penal - the top ten are all under par and you would say that anyone in that top 10 has a chance today

It has the chance to be a great final round tonight and it’s going to be a mix of stellar golf and some battling

Really looking forward to it tonight

D

Deleted member 1147

As I’ve commented earlier, I think the course looks fantastic and is playing beautifully. It’s exactly what many people say they’d like to see - the pros playing courses like we have to play (green speeds excepted). But it’s funny how “those” people change their view for the sake of having an argument.
You better get in touch with the green keepers at Brookline.
Apparently the forum expert on everything says they aren’t 12 ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As I posted earlier, I'd sooner see a 'balanced' test albeit somewhat/noticeably more difficult than the normal PGA Tour courses - majors ARE special. I'm also not a fan of 'Bomb and Gouge' courses.
USGA seems to have this obsession with setting up Open courses so that a few shots under Par is the winning score. In that, they've been pretty successful, but I'm dubious about the 'entertainment' value - save watching the best in the world struggle like club players.
The Open has a much better approach imo, especially at St Andrews - setting the course up to be difficult but nowhere near unplayable, letting the weather determine the severity of the test and not particularly minding whether the winning score is around Par or -20!
WillZ and Fitz had 9 birdies and 4 bogeys between them yesterday
Are you not entertained?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I don’t think they are running that fast. They’re very contoured and much smaller than what’s usually being played. I think you’re describing an optical illusion.
Indeed...See my edit to an earlier post...12.5, which is around standard, so it's the contours/slopes making them seem faster.

Springveldt

Visit site
He seems to be performing very well this season, he was in contention at the PGA , might be an outsider for the open
Don’t think it’s a coincidence that he has gained a ton of ball speed and is suddenly contending in the majors. He was hitting it past DJ in the opening rounds and was miles down 15 yesterday.

I’d like to see him win it today if Rory doesn’t do his usual Sunday charge.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Don’t think it’s a coincidence that he has gained a ton of ball speed and is suddenly contending in the majors. He was hitting it past DJ in the opening rounds and was miles down 15 yesterday.

A UK 1,2 would be excellent (sorry WZ!). A Euro 1,2 3 could be on too - as Rahm isn't far away either. Hope that's not the kiss of death for them! :rolleyes:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Rory is too close now. His usual Sunday charge is usual when he is 8 or so back.