US Open

Springveldt

Visit site
Indeed...See my edit to an earlier post...12.5, which is around standard, so it's the contours/slopes making them seem faster.
The commentators have been saying all week that they slope from back to front. Since the greens are pretty firm most people have been going through the green and chipping down the slopes. The greens are also a lot smaller than normal PGA courses so it seems the ball is rolling for miles.

sunshine

Visit site
Ha! Nothing wrong with change to a course to upgrade it to be the challenge wanted - even if the change is that dramatic. There's competition between courses just as there is between players.
Would you have TOC go back to playing 18 holes over 9 fairways? If you can name a course, that's been on the Pro circuit for a long time, that hasn't been extended to cater for 'modern' distances, I'd be amazed!

I think you missed my point. The 13th hole this week is the 1st and 2nd from a different course. You can see the players hitting their approaches over the unused green.

I guess next week the course reverts to normal. It’s much more than just building some new tee boxes to add length.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I think you missed my point. The 13th hole this week is the 1st and 2nd from a different course. You can see the players hitting their approaches over the unused green.

I guess next week the course reverts to normal. It’s much more than just building some new tee boxes to add length.
No, I didn't! You may have misinterpreted my 'change' and 'upgrade' as the usual permanent ones.
Handy to have a few 'spare' holes available to utilise!

D

Deleted member 1147

They are leaving it the same all season, to let the normal 1st green repair properly, according to Brad Faxon

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The commentators have been saying all week that they slope from back to front. Since the greens are pretty firm most people have been going through the green and chipping down the slopes.
Sorry, but what kind of excuse it that?
These guys are supposed to be the best in the world.
I'm just a lowly 15 handicapper but even I know that if a green slopes back to front and is firm, then you have to adjust to avoid sending the ball past the pin.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm just a lowly 15 handicapper but even I know that if a green slopes back to front and is firm, then you have to adjust to avoid sending the ball past the pin.
So half the target 'on average' on already small greens. Tough target! Just another challenge a Brookline US Open presents!

Springveldt

Visit site
Eh? I wasn’t making excuses, I was just pointing out why it seems like the greens are so fast.

Also, the problem with sending it past the pin is the ball isn’t stopping on the greens, that’s what’s leaving all the downhill chips.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
If breaking par means anything then doing it over 4 rounds in at least one major should be a thing.

Windy again for the 4th round, should be a beauty. ?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

Sorry, but if a green slopes back to front I understand that means the green is uphill from front to back?
If so, then it helps the ball to stop more so than if it sloped the other way?

Springveldt

Visit site
He has to be the most obnoxious player on tour. I have never seen or read anything positive about him.
I had never noticed him until Kevin Na pulled his pants down on social media. He’s also the guy who tweeted at a high school girl saying it was pity she was in school as she was pretty.