Unbeflippinlievable.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The term push-draw would be a ball that starts right of your toe line with draw spin, likewise a push-fade would start right of your toe line with cut spin. Anything that is defined as pull would start left of your toe line however this shot is a BIG NO NO in terms of impact (especially with an iron) as it requires an almost zero angle of attack else you'll be trying to hit it after the divot :D

In your example above of aiming right and hitting the pull-draw (more often a pull-hook) it is a pull as the ball never gets to the right side of your toe line. When people refer to this as a draw they are not defining it properly.. when they post "I close my stance and hit a nice draw" they are in fact hitting a pull-draw across themselves which is not the same. It goes low and left, often hooks and is very often fatted :)

Ok so if I understand it correctly they're basically defined in terms of where you're aiming as opposed to the target itself.

I'm not sure I'd say one group isn't defining it properly, rather it's been defined differently.

I can see advantages in both ways, in 1 way you are already describing where the ball finished in relation to the target (and golf is a target game) and how it curved there (although a push draw or pull hook may be more descriptive). The other way would need an addition of where it finished to maybe make it more complete, for arguments (not wanting one) sake he's hit a push draw left of target because he wasn't aimed correctly at set up), however a push draw and / or pull hook may tell you more than he drew it there.

JustOne do you know when these terms came about and if they are american terms or d plane stuff? i ask as I'd be interested in how they came to be. Is it an anglo-american difference or new terms to fit in with the current ball flight laws and understanding thereof?

On the pull draw across themselves are we talking the same thing? Assuming you normal shot is a straight shot, aim right swing normal (out to square to in) which is in to out as far as the ball is concerned because you've aimed right and have a clubface closed to that swing line, but open to the target the ball will start left of your aim (right of target) and curve back to target; but where have you pulled it across yourself as in relation to your swing path as you've just swung along your normal one? I've said it before somewhere mechanically it's a very simple way of curving the ball left. You adjusts your aim at set set up and the clubface at set up and swing as normal. Of course their are many ways of achieving this shape and this pull hook would have a lower flight and not necessarily be desirable in every situation.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
On the pull draw across themselves are we talking the same thing? Assuming you normal shot is a straight shot, aim right swing normal (out to square to in) which is in to out as far as the ball is concerned because you've aimed right and have a clubface closed to that swing line, but open to the target the ball will start left of your aim (right of target) and curve back to target; but where have you pulled it across yourself as in relation to your swing path as you've just swung along your normal one?

Taking out all the small points (angle of descent etc)...

Let's assume you line up your toe line/knees/shoulders etc square to your target and your normal ball flight is DEAD STRAIGHT.

If you close the face a couple of degrees what shot shape have you got?

Now let's go back and take that straight shot you normally hit and rotate the whole thing 45° to the right.. when you hit the ball it will go 45° right (dead straight is your shot)... now if you close the face a couple of degrees what shape have you got?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the confusion arrises if you talk about 'Target' The ball understands nothing about the 'target' therefore it is not a component of ball flight , it is just a point in the distance that you wish the ball to land. Whether or not it arrives at your desired destination is a matter of alignment and degree of skill in creating the desired flight.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Taking out all the small points (angle of descent etc)...

Let's assume you line up your toe line/knees/shoulders etc square to your target and your normal ball flight is DEAD STRAIGHT.

If you close the face a couple of degrees what shot shape have you got?

Now let's go back and take that straight shot you normally hit and rotate the whole thing 45° to the right.. when you hit the ball it will go 45° right (dead straight is your shot)... now if you close the face a couple of degrees what shape have you got?

Pull hook

Fore as that ones gone :)

Interesting, rotating 45 degrees it's not coming back enough; which I guess is your point.

You'd say pull hook

I'd be tempted to say (if you've curved it as much as you've intended) it's a draw where you've aligned yourself wrong, but I like the point as it doesn't fit into the 9 descriptions I've given. Nor would any where you aim where you want and hit a ball that whilst it would curve left it wouldn't do so enough to get back onto target. You'd still get to call it pull hook.

So it could be considered a more accurate way of describing ball flight, but it still needs more info to relate the initial aim point and it's finishing position. (edit that may be preferable).

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
it's a draw where you've aligned yourself wrong

:D:D:D LOL!!

This is a pull-hook (not a very severe one mind...) The clubface is square and the path is in-out at impact...

pull-hook.jpg

If we rotate that right about 15° it's still a pull-hook... nothing has changed apart from it looks better in the air! (and people will tell you how well they 'draw' the ball)........... :whistle:

pull-hook1.jpg

(NB: Similar shape can be produced with clubface closed and swingpath straight-ish...that's why trackman is handy)

Last edited:

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ok Well we might as well assume centred hits and a still day along with the other things

Hmmm it seems I would've tended to think of any ball curving an 'acceptable' amount left as a draw (regardless as to whether it finished on target as I defined it previously), anything going too much as a hook. For a draw that finished right of target I would either want to start it further left, curve it more or combine both dependent upon that shots fight (distance, starting direction, curvature, trajectory, finishing position)

Why toe-line as opposed to shoulder line or something else?

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That doesn't the best reason and seems somewhat arbitary, I would've thought it might have something to do with expected path and alignments of which I don't think the toe position would be the best option.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Does anyone know if there is a youtube with the news laws?
I managed to find a pdf but not sure if it is correct:
http://johngrahamgolf.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/New-Ball-Flight-Laws.png

Heres one I posted a few times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUZ3VYj0oiQ

Heres another simple explanation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahmKhrK8xHE

Dont get confused with terms like push hook or pull slice. They are nothing to do with it, it's not the descriptions that are new but the realisation of what actually affects ball flight.