UK based golf break ideas?

batchworth

Visit site
Last year we did a 2 night / 3 round golf break at St Mellion for 8 of us, and loved it. We were planning on going again this year (September), but the two non-golfers (wives), want a change of venue.

We got a bit spoilt by the deal last year as we are Crown golf members, so we ended paying about £580 per couple for 3 rounds and full board. I would be interested to know if there are any recommendations for other resorts that wouldn't be much more in price (I realise we will end up paying more).

Also as an alternative we are toying with the idea of basing our self in central Bournemouth and then booking the golf separately - anyone done something similar here at anytime or a different town?

We are in Herts, so ideally in the south of England

cheers in advance

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Celtic Manor will be cheap and there's similar stuff on site for non golfers - or a shortish run to the shopping in Cardiff or Cribbs Causeway (if open again! :) ) Batchworth to Newport is 2 hours 15mins

Bournemouth and surrounding courses hard to beat!

Norfolk coast is worth a thought too!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If youre doing Bournemouth Id make sure you can get tee times at the courses you fancy, there may be very few if any visitors slots available. also factor in driving time to the courses, traffic can be a total nightmare especially in summer

Plenty of other hotel based options like Forest or Arden, Belfry, Celtic Manor that you could get to easily enough, maybe have a look here (though would try and book direct) https://www.yourgolftravel.com/golf-breaks/england

D

Deleted Member 1156

Golf in Bournemouth is expensive, Broadstone/Parkstone/Ferndown are all £100+ per round for visitors.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Princes at Sandwich, though the non golfers may struggle.

Heard good things about East Sussex national - and had a 2020 break booked which ended up cancelled :(

The belfry is decent but I don't know what it's like if you have non golfers with you. I suppose they can use the gym/spa? or go into birmingham for a day trip?

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Princes at Sandwich, though the non golfers may struggle.

Heard good things about East Sussex national - and had a 2020 break booked which ended up cancelled :(

The belfry is decent but I don't know what it's like if you have non golfers with you. I suppose they can use the gym/spa? or go into birmingham for a day trip?

There is a spa attached, but not a lot else - location is pretty remote from any major towns so you'd need to get in the car to explore places like Tunbridge Wells or Brighton (c30 mins away)

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There is a spa attached, but not a lot else - location is pretty remote from any major towns so you'd need to get in the car to explore places like Tunbridge Wells or Brighton (c30 mins away)

Yeah our group did and trip to The Essex in 2018 and learnt two things from that! I'd go to Brighton over Tonbridge Wells for a night out!

1/ Don't sacrifice fun for price - we went on a sunday/monday trip which was cheaper but nothing was open.
2/ Pre book taxi's to and from so everyone can go out!

RichA

Visit site
Forest Holidays have really nice accommodation scattered around the country. Expensive for a family, but affordable for 3-4 couples sharing if you don't mind self-catering. Most are quite close to some decent courses and obviously situated in beautiful areas with plenty of non-golf stuff to do.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have a look on somewhere like spa breaks and see if you can find somewhere there that the wives would like. Book the golf through somewhere else for the same gaff.

No idea on current prices but we’ve done 4 couples to Celtic Manor, Belfry, Forest Of Arden, Carden park and Formby Hall booking them separately

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last year we did a 2 night / 3 round golf break at St Mellion for 8 of us, and loved it. We were planning on going again this year (September), but the two non-golfers (wives), want a change of venue.

We got a bit spoilt by the deal last year as we are Crown golf members, so we ended paying about £580 per couple for 3 rounds and full board. I would be interested to know if there are any recommendations for other resorts that wouldn't be much more in price (I realise we will end up paying more).

Also as an alternative we are toying with the idea of basing our self in central Bournemouth and then booking the golf separately - anyone done something similar here at anytime or a different town?

We are in Herts, so ideally in the south of England

cheers in advance
We did Bournemouth in Spring 2019 - 2 nights/3 rounds for about £300. Done, if I recall correctly, through one of the regular companies (YourGolfTravel, Golf Breaks etc) Stayed at Dudbury Golf Hotel & Spa - so just outside Bournemouth rather than the centre. Accommodation was B&B plus one dinner. Golf was at Dudsbury itself, Broadstone, & Isle of Purbeck. We were 8 blokes so didnt use the spa but it looked nice enough - seemed to be plenty of (mainly) non golfing ladies in there. Worth a look.

batchworth

Visit site
I just looked at Hunstanton and Brancaster golf clubs websites, and it looks like they only have 2 balls or if in a group of four, you have to play foursomes!
Not ideal for a group of golfers

D

Deleted member 15344

I just looked at Hunstanton and Brancaster golf clubs websites, and it looks like they only have 2 balls or if in a group of four, you have to play foursomes!
Not ideal for a group of golfers

Brancaster don’t do many group bookings and they are two ball only

Hunstanton there are days you can play in fourballs

If going to Norfolk then look at the likes of Therford then Sheringham and Cromer