TV Series - What Are You Watching?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
No. Just looked it up and not on iplayer so will keep an eye out if it reappears.

The other actress in Motherland (Anna Maxwell Martin) also cracks me up but cannot take her seriously in anything else!
She was good in Line of Duty.
We tried watching Hollington Drive with her in other night,some terrible acting in that.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Have you seen tug of war? What about lights out? If you are not getting it after those episodes then I suspect the program is not for you.

Marbles is equivalent, for me, to Battle of the .... in GoT

None of the above are spoilers by the way.

Finished it last night. Enjoyed it, marbles was a tough one, but not sure about the ending, certainly not interested in a second season though.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Finished it last night. Enjoyed it, marbles was a tough one, but not sure about the ending, certainly not interested in a second season though.
I'd agree about the ending, it didn't work that well after the games finished. I don't want to say too much more about weaknesses as it isn't possible without spoilers.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'd agree about the ending, it didn't work that well after the games finished. I don't want to say too much more about weaknesses as it isn't possible without spoilers.

not a spoiler, but I just didn't get the point of the VIPs. It added nothing to the story, and was pretty badly done - why were they speaking in what seemed to be poorly dubbed English?

Other than that, I really enjoyed it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
not a spoiler, but I just didn't get the point of the VIPs. It added nothing to the story, and was pretty badly done - why were they speaking in what seemed to be poorly dubbed English?

Other than that, I really enjoyed it.
They paid into the prize pot. They also showed the disdain the wealthy have for the poor, a bit of social commentary? I agree, the show could have happily existed without them though.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It's not a unique problem to Squid Game. The South Korean script writers aren't too good at creating English dialogue but there's a fashionable element to include English dialogue in South Korean film & TV because culturally South Korean is very Americanised. So not only are script and translations sometimes poor to begin with, editors will choose the best take without understanding enough English to choose an actor's best performance, so you can end up with a mishmash of disconnected conversations between two English speaking performances that, due to editing, don't flow as a single conversation at all. Some of the VIP scenes exhibit this problem, where it's just a disconnected mess of statements and scenes filling the narrative.

Also bear in mind the translated English script we have read in subtitles or heard in dubbing isn't good or correct in many places either. I used to do some work in South Korea some years ago so have friends from Seoul who found the Squid Game subtitles amusingly poor. They said some of the conversations between the gangster guy and the single mother are particularly weird translations.

Overall still a great bit of entertainment despite the flaws. I really enjoyed it but without getting spoilery it's hard to comment on large parts of it.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Really not sure whether it should continue from here. Could be a breath of fresh air with the change in focus but will it be the same. (hard to explain without spoliers)
Know what you mean,but I want more ?

A lot of shows run out of steam tho.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Know what you mean,but I want more ?

A lot of shows run out of steam tho.

I think one or two more series would do it. I think that Chuck needs his big comeuppance by the end, in fact I think they all do as I cannot think of any character that deserves a happy ending at the moment. Whilst on a different subject matter entirely, it reminds me of The Shield in so far as basically none of the main characters seem worthy of redemption (OK maybe one in the shield and he was the only one who went to jail for his crimes ironically).

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Just getting round to watching The Wire. Its OK but always heard its one of the best TV shows ever has maybe left me expecting too much. It ain't as good as The Sopranos that's for sure.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I think one or two more series would do it. I think that Chuck needs his big comeuppance by the end, in fact I think they all do as I cannot think of any character that deserves a happy ending at the moment. Whilst on a different subject matter entirely, it reminds me of The Shield in so far as basically none of the main characters seem worthy of redemption (OK maybe one in the shield and he was the only one who went to jail for his crimes ironically).
I love my box sets,but couldn’t get into the Shield ?
I thought Sopranos & Breaking Bad did well knowing when to stop whilst they were good.
A lot of others do 1 or 2 seasons too many for me,Homeland,walking dead…..

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Just getting round to watching The Wire. Its OK but always heard its one of the best TV shows ever has maybe left me expecting too much. It ain't as good as The Sopranos that's for sure.
Totally agree,but maybe we missed the boat.
Might have enjoyed it more if we watched it at the time.
Nothing comes close to Sopranos for me.