TV Series - What Are You Watching?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Started watching carnival row last night, twp episodes in and a bit slow so will give Ep 3 a go if it doesn't speed up will abort.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Been watching war of the worlds. Personally think it has been crap, all this time jumping has just confused me. Will still watch the last episode to see if it gets any better.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been watching war of the worlds. Personally think it has been crap, all this time jumping has just confused me. Will still watch the last episode to see if it gets any better.
I didn't bother with last nights episode, the 2nd one killed it for me. Did you see it? Is it worth watching on catch up or am I best not bothering?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Been watching Portillo doing Australian Railways. Both Mrs Hogie have found the series a bit misleading about the Australia that we discover over 9weeks earlier this year, and I found his portrayal in recent prog of his trip down the Queensland Coast a bit misleading...and irritating. It is beautiful and interesting in bits - but there is a lot of so-so, that goes on and on - in between. Watching and listening to Portillo you'd get the impression that it is endlessly fabulous. I suppose if you jumped between the places he stopped you'd 'get' his trip. What he seemed to do in about 3 days we took our time over, taking nearly 3 weeks...and our experience of Australia is that you have to take your time and drive over the land to actually 'get' the place. And you do. And what did we 'get'? Australia is just vast with often a vastness of nothing between the really interesting and beautiful stuff.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm thinking I might not. It's just a soap opera...stupid drippy George - and right-on solid Amy...it's a thriller/horror/road story about a Martian invasion of earth - not a silly love story..

Yep. Drippy George for sure...his running is hilarious!

I thought the final episode was the worst of the lot.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Absolutely loving His Dark Materials. Dafne Keen is excellent, and anything with Ruth Wilson is worth watching.

Agree with all the downers on War of the Worlds. Episode 1 was ok, 2, was worse and 3 poor.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Absolutely loving His Dark Materials. Dafne Keen is excellent, and anything with Ruth Wilson is worth watching.

Agree with all the downers on War of the Worlds. Episode 1 was ok, 2, was worse and 3 poor.

Just about to start watching this, is it anything like the books?

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just about to start watching this, is it anything like the books?
I've only read the first book, and that was a long time ago, but from what I remember, yes. I think they brought that version of Oxford to life very well. I remember it taking me a while to get into the book as I didn't quite get the steam-punk aesthetic straight away. The series did a good job of that. And the daemons are really well done.

I could see the first episode being a bit confusing if you didn't know the books, but after that it's been great.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Having read the books, the first series should be easy to understand and get in to. The second book gets weirder, and the 3rd weirder still. Not sure how well it will televise.