TV license

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I stopped paying six months ago. We've still got a virgin box but I only use it to record and listen to some radio stuff I like. We stream all TV. And watch it on catch up. Wasn't board church good? We are still working through that. Plus a few others. There is no need for live TV at all. And, no, I don't watch sport either. The world cup was watched in the pub, where it should be watched. Lol

You've never watched any BBC programme at all over the last 6 months?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
We need the BBC. Their style of broadcasting forces the commercial channels to be nearly as good. If the BBC were not around and all TV was commercially driven, there'd be a mad dash to the gutter. Have you seen American mainstream broadcasts? They are simply unwatchable.

And if you need the BBC, it needs to be funded. The licence fee is a regressive tax that originated when only rich people had TVs. Nowadays it makes no sense. Direct funding from general taxation seems the best compromise, provided there is some kind of charter protecting the BBC from political interference. One thing's certain: government ministers absolutely should not have any say in appointing BBC management.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
scrap the licence, totally outdated model. Make it funded on a commercial advertising basis with a contribution from the Treasury to ensure certain elements of their braodcasts such as global news etc are maintained in a similar fashion but not to fund sports presenters

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Nope! I watch footie highlights on You Tube before MOTD comes on. Other than that I've no interest in what they turn out, TV wise.
TV wise…hmmmm…so no radio; no iPlayer; no Sounds; no on-line content…nada? Well I might suggest that you are missing out on a lot of brilliant stuff that is nowhere near anything even vaguely political.

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It’s worth my small contribution every month to pay the wages of the MotD presenters. And Topgear

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Nowt to do with being tight. Sick to death of paying for a service that is political and a "Debbie Downer" as the wife says. I have a much better outlook on life without the BBC spouting their garbage at me.

I get annoyed sometimes at the way BBC report the news, but if you ignore the News and Question Time etc, you get a helluva lot of good programming for a tenner a month.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
There should be a national broadcaster, and it should be funded by all of us as a nation - whether you like the output or not. Or whether you 'consume' any output or not. (After all, i pay taxes for a lot of stuff I dont need or use). And it should not be a political football but good luck with that. Quite how it should be funded I don't especially care but a 'licence fee' seems as good a way as any.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There should be a national broadcaster, and it should be funded by all of us as a nation - whether you like the output or not. Or whether you 'consume' any output or not. (After all, i pay taxes for a lot of stuff I dont need or use). And it should not be a political football but good luck with that. Quite how it should be funded I don't especially care but a 'licence fee' seems as good a way as any.

It should be funded through PAYE, fairer for most, and removes the ability to opt out of paying.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It should be funded through PAYE, fairer for most, and removes the ability to opt out of paying.
That would mean that most media, presenters, actors, musicians etc would not pay towards the BBC as they are freelancers, no PAYE. The rich, not salaried, would also avoid paying.

Hitting PAYE is an easy one but the wealthy tend not to be affected, which doesn't seem quite right. It isn't a simple one to resolve.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep, that's (ie general taxation) one way to do it as it does remove the ability to avoid it. I have no hard conviction on the method. Just concerned to make sure the 'political football' element is avoided however it's paid for.