TRUMP, What the hell is going on

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Thing is - this interview from yesterday is real - and not a Jonathan Pie spoof. And it really is the PotUS and not Alec Baldwin. It's as weird as it is worrying - this is the Leader of the Free World. Our post-Brexit saviour.

It's worth watching the whole interview - but for a taster go to 13mins in when he starts waving about bits of paper about his (US) performance in respect of tackling coronavirus. Did his advisors not realise that this would simply demonstrate that Trump needs even the most basic detail written down in very simplistic terms for him to refer to - that his use of them doesn't actually demonstrate much command on the facts...amongst other things.

Last edited:

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Thing is - this interview from yesterday is real - and not a Jonathan Pie spoof. And it really is the PotUS and not Alec Baldwin. It's as weird as it is worrying - this is the Leader of the Free World. Our post-Brexit saviour.

It's worth watching the whole interview - but for a taster go to 13mins in when he starts waving about bits of paper about his (US) performance in respect of tackling coronavirus. Did his advisors not realise that this would simply demonstrate that Trump needs even the most basic detail written down in very simplistic terms for him to refer to - that his use of them doesn't actually demonstrate much command on the facts...amongst other things.

I've seen bits of this on twitter. I did at first think it was a parody as there are so many of those (Sarah Coopers are excellent) but it turned out to be real. Still do not think it will change many, if any voters minds about him as by now everyone has a stance and it will not change. But scary nonetheless.

Hoganman1

Visit site
My concern is he refuses to accept the result and goes to court. In theory, a new president can be sworn in based on the result, even if contested in several states but it would lead to a constitutional crisis that could drag on for months and months.
Actually, I believe if the election is delayed or still undecided on Jan. 20th, Nancy Pelosi will temporarily be president until a final outcome is decided. I'd bet the farm that Trump does not know this.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
As many have pointed out on twitter, hats off the editors/film crew on how have deliberately filmed and edited this to look like an episode of The Thick of It. Which just adds to the surrealism of it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
He's actually acting like ANY politician does - selecting the stats that support his goals and ignoring those that don't! I've no real problem with that, apart from the fact that it's people lives (well, deaths) that he's fudging about!

Oh! And he's plain wrong about ISIL/ISIS no longer being in existence!

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
He's actually acting like ANY politician does - selecting the stats that support his goals and ignoring those that don't! I've no real problem with that, apart from the fact that it's people lives (well, deaths) that he's fudging about!
Putting aside his 'selecting of facts' - and indeed his denying and spinning of the grim one - the deaths - putting these things aside for a moment - that's not what's quite absurd - it's how he has to have the bits of paper to hand to remind him of the line that his advisors have told him to push because he clearly doesn't really understand quite the fullness of what's going on and is unable to articulate with any clarity his own understanding of it. Because if he tried he would simply contradict and confuse himself.

And (amongst many other things) he goes on to pretend that he's never heard of or met John Lewis and refuses to give any thoughts on the achievements and sacrifices Lewis made - after all - as Trump said 'Lewis never came to my inauguration'. Aw diddums I am tempted to say - but no surprise there as for Trump it's always just about himself. Apart from anything else - if he knew Lewis wasn't at the inauguration then clearly had heard of him. But you know - core vote and all that...

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Putting aside his 'selecting of facts' - and indeed his denying and spinning of the grim one - the deaths - putting these things aside for a moment - that's not what's quite absurd - it's how he has to have the bits of paper to hand to remind him of the line that his advisors have told him to push because he clearly doesn't really understand quite the fullness of what's going on and is unable to articulate with any clarity his own understanding of it. Because if he tried he would simply contradict and confuse himself.

And (amongst many other things) he goes on to pretend that he's never heard of or met John Lewis and refuses to give any thoughts on the achievements and sacrifices Lewis made - after all - as Trump said 'Lewis never came to my inauguration'. Aw diddums I am tempted to say - but no surprise there as for Trump it's always just about himself. Apart from anything else - if he knew Lewis wasn't at the inauguration then clearly had heard of him. But you know - core vote and all that...
I'm pretty certain ALL, or at least MOST, Presidents have those 'prompts' supplied by their support team - certainly the Republican ones who tend to be older than their Democrat equivalents (not this year though). He was just abysmal at utilising them. Spitting Image had great fun with Reagan!

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Very interesting indeed.. while it feels a lot like that the time of China is coming, the author does put a lot of stats to put that into perspective. It is scary. Needless to say, this will be dismissed as hoax and left wing nonsense. I am glad it is Rolling Stones not BBC.

Equally, you may see that the news of American demise is highly overrated. it might have a few things in its bag. The big question is who will heal the country..

BTW, a lot of it applies to the UK too. (flamesuit please)

Finally, it reminded me of this video >>

Hoganman1

Visit site
This is a great article and sadly, is on target. As a 70 year old US citizen with two children and six grandchildren, I fear for their future. This is why it is imperative that we as Democrats replace the president, re-take the Senate and maintain control of the House. Obviously, this won't magically solve our problems, but it's a start. It took a Great Depression and Pearl Harbor to awake us in the 1930s and 1940s. I sincerely hope the corruption and lack of leadership of this administration and Covid 19 will cause us to open our eyes once again rise from the ashes.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is a great article and sadly, is on target. As a 70 year old US citizen with two children and six grandchildren, I fear for their future. This is why it is imperative that we as Democrats replace the president, re-take the Senate and maintain control of the House. Obviously, this won't magically solve our problems, but it's a start. It took a Great Depression and Pearl Harbor to awake us in the 1930s and 1940s. I sincerely hope the corruption and lack of leadership of this administration and Covid 19 will cause us to open our eyes once again rise from the ashes.

i agree.. great article.. i love the stats it throws in. You could argue that Stats can be used in any which way. The challenge however, is more deep rooted. One of things that Trump has successfully done is to create an aura of distrust with media. It has become a Us -v- Them debate. The GOP wont go against Trump, simply because they have no other candidate and he is their best hope to be in the white house. We are in the post-truth era where no one knows what is going on. If someone is not fully bought into your own narrative, then you are considered the foolish one/anti-national/illogical/racist/ <insert whatever phrase takes your fancy that day>

Hoganman1

Visit site
Well, we're all safe now. Russia has a Covid vaccine and we know Putin will gladly share it with his colony. We're so lucky that Trump is so close to him.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Kamala Harris - hope. I like what I see and hear of her. Her recent questioning of A.G. Barr was pretty uncompromising - taking no BS from Barr.

She's very experienced, and a very cool, smart and very tough cookie. The debates she'll have with Pence will be interesting - potential much more interesting than any Trump v Biden debate.

Of course Trump, in his usual almost gynophobic way, attacks her as 'nasty', 'angry', 'horrible' in the way she interrogates his buddies - such as Barr and Supreme Court Judge Kavanaugh.

And that she's a 'failure' - handily forgetting that he has previously thought of her as being her worthy of his significant financial support - when he was a fan - a fan no doubt simply for his own self-serving purposes.

And clever tactics by Biden in chosing someone with whom he has had significant disagreements with in the past. We know what Trump does when someone disagrees with him - and he doesn't draw them in closer...a very clear differentiation between Biden and Trump in their approaches to partnership and team work.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So do we all buy into that theory that Biden will stand down shortly into his presidency if elected?
Well...he's not committing to standing for a second term...but I haven't heard anything on him standing down as you suggest - and I watch a fair bit of US News and regularly check in to one progressive channel that is no great friend of the Dems (though on Trump...) and so would be talking about this.

BTW - worth catching up with Trump a few days ago in news briefing talking about the great Spanish Flu pandemic of 1917 (sic), and how it probably brought the second world war to an end as the solders were sick...

yes really...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So do we all buy into that theory that Biden will stand down shortly into his presidency if elected?
Is that theory being put about by Trump? I can see the logic from his viewpoint in going down that road, vote for Biden, get Harris. It muddies the water for the voters.

I can't see Biden being party to it. Why would you give up the chance to be President for a full term?

Status
Not open for further replies.