Trigger or pre shot routine

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure I even know what I do.
It's instinctive, I don't actually think about it..whatever I do.. I just do.
I'm more focussed on the shot than making sure I've waggled the club 3 times and dipped my knees twice
Does that make sense?
yep asked a mate off 1 what he does . He had to think hard and still wasnt sure

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hogan was adamant that a good strongle waggle was the essential trigger for your backswing.
Absolutely hate seeing waggles. Just doesn’t work with any real swing feeling IMO.
Always tend to be used by players that pick the club up and take it back inside before throwing the club at the top.
Personally, My pre swing is all done before addressing. Make sure I grip the club the same way every time before seeing my shot (short of like Adam Scott does with his pre shot). Once over the ball no thoughts other than the shape I want to play.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to have a really slow back swing, making sure I hit my parallel and top positions. Imagine Peter Crouch celebrating a goal. One slow test, one still slow proper swing.
In my last lesson before Christmas we dropped that and build a rhythm and I now hit the ball much better. Up down bang.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I used to have a really slow back swing, making sure I hit my parallel and top positions. Imagine Peter Crouch celebrating a goal. One slow test, one still slow proper swing.
In my last lesson before Christmas we dropped that and build a rhythm and I now hit the ball much better. Up down bang.
I have gone the other way. I use to swing too fast. Blink and you miss it. When timing was o it was great but if it was slightly off or technique was lacking then I was a mess. Looking at a much smoother tempo and a far less jerky takeaway. I struggle when trying to hit set positions so feel the better tempo simply gives me time to complete the swing make the transition and give the hips etc time to clear

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Why not become your own caddy?

When you get to the ball. Talk to yourself through the options you have. What has happened previously, what you want to avoid and what you would like to do.

Saying it out loud would be best if you are prone to concentration lapses.

In software development that's called Rubber Ducking. You get a colleague and talk them through the problem/propose solution, and by the time you've finished you know what you need to do. They can basically be replaced wit ha rubber duck.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why not become your own caddy?

When you get to the ball. Talk to yourself through the options you have. What has happened previously, what you want to avoid and what you would like to do.

Saying it out loud would be best if you are prone to concentration lapses.
Tried this yesterday .. interesting results . Good results . Il b trying to build on this before start of the season .. Thanks Gary