Travel flight bag - advice needed

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Off on first overseas golf jaunt in 2 weeks time. Was going to buy a bespoke flight bag for my clubs, however one of the lads who is going is planning to put his clubs in a large holdall from the laundry in his work (the type you would get bedding or towels delivered in).

He has also given me one and told me not to bother buying a bag. His one is big enough to get a cart bag in but has no padding or wheels. Was thinking I could wrap a beach towel or some bubble wrap round the club heads to protect them, but the lack of wheels may be a bigger issue (the bag has a large carry handle so could put it across my back).

Does that seem a sensible plan, or am I better off buying a bespoke bag, and if the latter, any recommendations for a decent low-cost bag?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
For some reason, baggage handlers kick the bejaysus out of golf travel bags. I would be tempted to get a large roll of bubble wrap, and do the whole bag. Either way, even in a bespoke golf travel bag, i always add more padding.

Hard cases are good, but are a pain to store, and often don't fit in hire car boots.

D

Deleted Member 1156

No it doesn't sound like a sensible plan to me at all. I frequently fly with my clubs, I've had several canvas type bags over the years and they get ripped to shreds. I've now bought a hardcase one and it is bombproof.

My advice is if you decide to buy one then get a hardcase as it will last much longer than a canvas one and it gives much more protection against damage.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Get one that has rigid sides. I used one a couple of years ago that was just padded, and during some stage of the return journey the driver shaft was broken. Never used that flight bag again.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Thanks for the advice so far.

The clubs would be in my cart bag which is pretty sturdy, was thinking of taking the driver head off and putting it in a pocket as it seems like the driver is most at risk.

Appreciate a hard case is the safest option, but cheapest I can see is £100 and doesn't get great reviews.

We've booked an estate car for 3 of us, so should be able to fold down one of the back seats if size is an issue in the boot.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I am a bit sad about wrapping the club heads in bubble wrap and towels around the shafts... sometimes take the head off the driver too! I have a decent quality padded case that has lasted years...

I fyou are that worried, club hire companies are worth a thought

have already paid the best part of £100 to the airline for sports luggage or would think about hiring!

Grieve14

Head Pro
Visit site
I bought a soft, padded Ogio one for my trip to Portugal and had no issues at all. I put the rain hood on my bag with bubble wrap and towels in there to pad it out. I also put a broom stick that was longer than the driver in there so that i had no risk of the driver taking the brunt of an impact if there was one.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I put 'golf travel hard case' into Ebay and a couple of 2nd hand ones came up around the £50-£60 mark.

Thanks mate. Did the same earlier. 2 "buy it now" cases are collection only, 1 in Liverpool and the other in Scarborough. By coincidence I am down in Scarborough next week. However the problem will be getting it back home in a car with 2 adults, 2 teenagers and 2 dogs! I guess I could package it up and post it to myself.

There is an auction one with delivery ending tonight, so might have a go at that, and if I don't get it, think about the one in Scarborough.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing to take into account is the weight .
I had a lovely TaylorMade one but it weighed a ton , some airlines put a premium on anything over 12kgs so check the airline small print .

I take the heads off woods , put them in headcover and in pocket, put shaft in upside down so grip at top .
Masking tape them together.
broom handle about 3”” longer than longest club.
The best tip I got was two mountain bike iner tubes put them down the bag and blow them up it makes everything more solid and padded throughout the shaft lengths.
Bit of a job but they are expensive.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I have a padded one with wheels. I have a broom handle thats longer than my driver. That goes in as a stiffener and protects the driver, and then wrap the top of the bag in bubble wrap before putting the rain hood over it. Never had any problems.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
One thing to take into account is the weight .
I had a lovely TaylorMade one but it weighed a ton , some airlines put a premium on anything over 12kgs so check the airline small print .

I take the heads off woods , put them in headcover and in pocket, put shaft in upside down so grip at top .
Masking tape them together.
broom handle about 3”” longer than longest club.
The best tip I got was two mountain bike iner tubes put them down the bag and blow them up it makes everything more solid and padded throughout the shaft lengths.
Bit of a job but they are expensive.

some good tips there, thanks. weight allowance is 20kg, so should be ok.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
as others have said, I will tend to remove all removable heads,wrap these in towels an pop them in bag pockets. I will also wrap towels around the iron clubheads, intertwining them so they dont have much movement or clatter, and then popping the rain hood over the top. So far, it has been quite successful in the 2 long haul trips I have flown on with Virgin Atlantic.

My biggest test will come in a few weeks when I fly with a budget airline!

As for bag, I have the SunMountain Clubglider, which has been brilliant, and sits at a really good angle to wheel.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
My biggest test will come in a few weeks when I fly with a budget airline!

Which airline shouldn't make any difference as they are all loaded by the same baggage handlers, so no difference. I have traveled all over with my clubs and never had any bother with a soft Titleist travel bag similar to this https://www.titleist.co.uk/golf-gear/travel-gear-essential-travel-cover ,and a stand bag. The only precaution I take is to use head covers on all of my clubs including irons. Incidentally for my first few trips all I did was to fit my rain hood to my bag and tape it on with brown parcel tape! The only problem I have ever had was when I was changing flights through Gatwick and the clubs didn't make the transfer as time between flights was so short. The clubs did arrive by taxi the following day.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I bought a soft, padded Ogio one for my trip to Portugal and had no issues at all. I put the rain hood on my bag with bubble wrap and towels in there to pad it out. I also put a broom stick that was longer than the driver in there so that i had no risk of the driver taking the brunt of an impact if there was one.

Exactly this and have done many times over without issue.

D

Deleted member 1147

I have a proper Taylormade travel bag.
But I still take precautions in order to protect the clubs.
I put a broom handle in the bag, so if the bag gets thrown and lands top end first, that should take the impact instead of the clubs.
I also take the heads off my woods and wrap them up in my socks and boxer shorts, this stops them snapping off.

I put most of my clothes in the golf bag and wrap them around the heads of my clubs, with my golf shoes either side of the heads as well.

When you are going somewhere hot and dry to play you don;t actually need to take too much, so the Ryanair 20kg allowance is plenty - I rarely get anywhere near it.