Toptracer Driving Range

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure who has tried this or not, imagine most? But since our range added this it's for me made practice, which I've always enjoyed, much more measurable / fun

After going through the club's / drills tonight played the front 9 at Royal St George's which isn't bad for a Monday night, it's also meant my 18 yr old son who 's an infrequent golfer at best has been more inclined to come along as well.

GBC

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Lavender Park at Ascot has the system which is one of my local ranges. I have mixed thoughts and it is great when I have a lesson so we can see some real time data on each shot and see patterns but when I use it on my own I tend to get distracted by it especially in terms of distance (even taking into account using range balls). There are some great features especially the Par 3 challenge but I find I practice more constructively without it

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
Local range has it - Winchester Golf academy, which faces south, it's the only way to see where your ball has gone on many of the very bright sunny days.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Are you sure? I think they only pick up ball speed. They can't register anything the club does. I'm willing to be told otherwise
Apologies and think you are right. Getting my terminology wrong and no they can't pick up the club so can't give details of swing speed (my bad) and strike location. Definitely ball speed

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
You get lovely games which keep a session interesting for me. Unfortunately at Silvermere you aren’t allowed to touch the screens at the moment and just get the basic data.

If you have a Toptracer login you can track progress considering same range balls.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Our range let's you touch it and access all the features but they are strictly cleaning it between players, and whether it's Toptracer, peop!e still in part WFH, or the weather but they are incredibly busy, to the point you've had to Q or use the Toptracer bays, or use the bays on the other side, there's 20 on each side, that don't have automatic ball shoots / toptracer.

For me Toptracer is nice and I enjoy it but I wouldn't Q for it, whereas a lot of people will now only use it, especially those with youngsters

GBC

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My nearest range has it now, price of the balls has also gone up as has the usage rate. I only use it on warm up mode, just to satisfy my occaisional curiousity. If the range took it away tomorrow, I wouldnt cry or use it any less. I use a range to practice certain elements of my game nothing more.:)

D

Deleted member 1740

My local range has it and charges £9 for 100 balls with top tracer included.

Another further out charges £7 for balls and an £6 for top tracer.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
We're £ 9 for 100, think £ 5 (or £ 6?) for 50 which was the price before Toptracer was installed

It's all done on a range card you top up, so like all card payment s it's not like spending real money, if I had to hand over almost £ 10 cash per session i might pause every so often

GBC

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think ours went from 6 to 8 for 90 balls and they removed all the discount offers too. I only go there occasionally now as they have a nice grass range so I don't use the toptracer.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Tried it when the range first got it, was alright, but then they kept the prices the same but seemed to change to 40/80/120 from 50/100/150, and then they started charging for TT. Think it's about £5 per hour 'off peak' and more at peak.

I don't bother now with TT now if I go to that range

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tried one, great novelty for the occasional visitor, probably also great for those who golf mostly at the range as the games looked fun.

For the rest of us it’s not worth it as the stats were fine for an infrequent checkup but nowhere detailed enough for training.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tried one, great novelty for the occasional visitor, probably also great for those who golf mostly at the range as the games looked fun.

For the rest of us it’s not worth it as the stats were fine for an infrequent checkup but nowhere detailed enough for training.
I think you have the word right there..."novelty". The range I sometimes use now seems to have an abundance of testosterone as each user bashes the ball 300 yds, each one forgetting that it hitting the side netting of the ranges doesnt count.
I can see they might have a use for some, but for real practise you need your eyes nothing more.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you have the word right there..."novelty". The range I sometimes use now seems to have an abundance of testosterone as each user bashes the ball 300 yds, each one forgetting that it hitting the side netting of the ranges doesnt count.
I can see they might have a use for some, but for real practise you need your eyes nothing more.

The one near me has just installed it and the place is now packed to the gunnels in the evenings. Bad for me, but on balance good for the game of golf.