Driving Range price increases

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Does anyone actually believe that hitting cheap balls at a range improves their golf?
I don’t. Unless you are a beginner or working on something after a lesson I don't see much point in whacking balls off a mat. Short game and putting practice is much more likely to make a difference.

evemccc

Visit site
If, as has been often said, hitting more than 50 balls max is ill-advised in a range session…and probably closer to 30 balls with time for proper adjustments and practice swings is advised for a trip to a range, then IMO there’s no real benefit of a range if you’ve access to a course that isn’t too busy

Range could be v useful for recording your swing on a tripod or in winter / night, or, if you’re a nomad/green fee golfer — it’d be pretty hard to get away with smashing multiple balls on every hole if you’re not a member

Trodski

Visit site
Our range at our club is in the middle of our 8th and 16th. Probably about 200 yards wide.

Does anyone else hit a ‘variety’ of shots after a lesson? I would generally go to the club to practice but if I’m shanking them I hate practicing there. Don’t want to stink the place up and it could end up on the 8th fairway.

Still £6 for 90 balls near me

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My local range is £6.50 for50 balls without TopTracer.....
That's why I don't go so often
I guess that you're referring to Bierton....
They have invested a lot in the place, but adding a bar and a couple of new targets, doesn't enhance the practice.
I go to the range to work on my ball striking, but I refuse to pay the inflated ball prices when they don't have anything extra to offer such as Top Tracer.

sjw

Visit site
The range nearest me has put its prices up recently - 100 balls were 6 quid, now 8. Not sure what 50 balls costs now, think it might be a fiver? Not sure, but this is a range without top tracer, just a few flags in a field. Not worth it.

phils226

Medal Winner
Visit site
American Golf Range (Solihull) though actually in Wythall is good value if you buy the £50 Loyalty Card. Works out at £3.40 for 50 balls with TopTracer included