Driving Range price increases

Newnsy

Visit site
Covid has obviously had an impact on pricing, through the timed sessions etc, but also through the cost of range balls i know my club is having to wait till Oct for the next shipment of range balls cant get them any sooner unless they want to pay over the odds prices. a golf club can just about get away with waiting but id assume a decent range cant.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Going to a top tracer range for the first time this evening. £10 for an hour with unlimited balls. Not sure if I will do the full hour, might get bored before them - particularly if I can't hit it well!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Don't use a standalone range just the one at the club
Annoyingly a 'pyramid' of balls (55) goes up about 20p each year and currently sits about £5.50
No time limits, I'd hate that

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Going to a top tracer range for the first time this evening. £10 for an hour with unlimited balls. Not sure if I will do the full hour, might get bored before them - particularly if I can't hit it well!
Check out the games, they keep you entertained and swapping your clubs.
Approach game & virtual golf are the best ones.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Hi all,

Something that I've started to notice this year with the introduction of more Toptracer and Trackman ranges using the "yourgofbooking" system is the price increases. There's a whole other conversation about certain ranges tying in a bucket with a time (80 balls - 1 hour time slot) and being strict with it which is ridiculous in itself.

As an example, The Belfry has upped their 80 ball bucket to £10. I understand that at a place like the Belfry you have full dividers between the bays which some other ranges in this area doesn't and I've seen people hit by stray balls from people in other ranges who are just there to whack a driver and the inclusion of Toptracer is a huge benefit but is becoming more standard now in driving ranges.

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this, as with everything else recently the cost of this game is just going up and up even just for practicing...
Had this near me a bit back, had a look for the thread
https://forums.golfmonthly.com/threads/toptracer-everywhere.103078/post-2059918
I actually really like using the TopTracer (haven't been to a trackman one yet), but obviously don't like the price increases. They are popular though, both those mentioned have added extra tracer bays since the first wave.
I have no facts but wonder if the increased attendance is more from 'nomad' golfers where range sessions may fill the gap between green fees and not seem so bad price wise.
I still go and use Toptracer but reduced visits by practicing more at home (also encouraged by lockdowns ?)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's only one driving range left near me, and I think they've now realised they're the only one open evenings in the area, as they've put their prices up. It was £6 for 50 balls last time. It's not top tracer or anything, just bog standard range with about 10 bays and a random selection of crappy balls.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Check out the games, they keep you entertained and swapping your clubs.
Approach game & virtual golf are the best ones.
I worked through my bag to see what my yardages were - about 10-15% down or 'real life' but still quite good to see my dispersion, etc. most of the other figures don't mean much to me.
Then played the first 12 holes at St andrews and went round in 6 over - I have a HI of 20.5 so was pleased with how I was striking it. Found the 'putting' element a bit strange - for those who don't know , you chip to a target about 50 yards away and, depending on how close your approach was, it gives you a circle to aim for. the closer your approach, the larger the circle for birdie/par/double
All in all, a good hour and would certainly use it again but not every time I want to use the range

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Resurrection of an old thread but today I was baffled that my local range (with top tracer) has changed their prices. £7 for 50 balls. A guy walked in with his two children, saw the price and left with them moaning and sobbing. . He managed to calm them down with some "free putting".

I drove to an alternative range and they are also going "top tracer"?.

Seems they're going to have a good monopoly (or already have). My garden set up seems more appealing suddenly

rystaman

Visit site
Resurrection of an old thread but today I was baffled that my local range (with top tracer) has changed their prices. £7 for 50 balls. A guy walked in with his two children, saw the price and left with them moaning and sobbing. . He managed to calm them down with some "free putting".

I drove to an alternative range and they are also going "top tracer"?.

Seems they're going to have a good monopoly (or already have). My garden set up seems more appealing suddenly

The nearest range to me (The Belfry) is similar with £8 for 50, £10 for 80. Has gone up both times after the closures for the British Masters.

Keep saying I’ll go elsewhere but it’s just convenient. But when I can 9 holes in the evening for the same price, found myself doing that a lot more. Now heading in the winter months though so…

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
The nearest range to me (The Belfry) is similar with £8 for 50, £10 for 80. Has gone up both times after the closures for the British Masters.

Keep saying I’ll go elsewhere but it’s just convenient. But when I can 9 holes in the evening for the same price, found myself doing that a lot more. Now heading in the winter months though so…
When I was a member at the belfry 90 balls where £3:50. I think non members was £5.

rystaman

Visit site
When I was a member at the belfry 90 balls where £3:50. I think non members was £5.

I think I remember you saying on another thread you used to be a member.

I understood after the renovation and when they bought in Toptracer but been consistent since then and less balls as you said, used to be 90 max now it’s 80 for £10 and 120 for £14.

But it is great in terms of facilities in comparison to some other local ranges.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think I remember you saying on another thread you used to be a member.

I understood after the renovation and when they bought in Toptracer but been consistent since then and less balls as you said, used to be 90 max now it’s 80 for £10 and 120 for £14.

But it is great in terms of facilities in comparison to some other local ranges.
The forest of arden is very good. Short game especially

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Just been to St Andrews Links academy range tonight - used my pre paid card (which I bought in March) to get balls so didn't know price - had a look at the website just now and it's £7.50 for 60 balls - next time I top up my card it will be £60 for 600 balls - they told me that they had gone from baskets of 25/50/100 to multiples of 30 because of top tracer.

One effect of top tracer that's become apparent since Covid is multiple people in a single bay at times as they take part in challenges.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Range at the club closest to me is £3.50 for 50 balls. However, this closes at 8 and then likely earlier as winter hits and it’s dark early.

That leaves the bigger floodlit range with too tracer at £7.50 for 50 balls.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Nearest TopTracer range to me, conveniently, doesn't mention prices on their website and I ain't driving a 15 mile round trip to find out..

Visit site
I occasionally go to Brows Farm which some on here may know.

They have Trackman with screens on all the indoor bays. At 6pm you can't get a bay indoors, it's just full of people just playing longest drive competitions. I always go to the outdoor bays, although they don't have the screens. You are paying Trackman prices, about £8 for 105 balls (not that bad tbh) but without the luxury of having any benefit from the Trackman.

evemccc

Visit site
I stopped going to a range - expensive, and much further away / a more annoying drive than my course

I played 3 balls for 9 holes this afternoon when my course was dead after the Medal. I just hit 8/9 iron off the tee and drop balls at random distances, depending on what I wanted to try out

I can see the ball flight and I get proper turf interaction and how the ball reacts on the green — I don’t see any advantage of a range to be honest