Newbie and Course Help

Duck4cover

Visit site
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, but i've been playing golf now for a year and a few months. I typically play a round once a week and try to practice several times a week using ranges or indoor simulators. I feel like I have now gotten too used to perfect lies at ranges, and want to get out on grass more. Additionally, given the frequency I play, it seems more cost effective to just sign up somewhere.

I'm looking for a club in or around Coventry. My ideal scenario is a club with a driving range, putting green and short range area (in that order of priority). Additionally, (potentially asking for a unicorn) I don't want to spend a small fortune on membership, as a number of the clubs around me seem to require ludicrously high joining fees! happy to travel a little bit, but not really wanting a long travel. I'm based north of coventry.

Thank you all in advanced (and apologies if this is posted in the wrong place)

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, but i've been playing golf now for a year and a few months. I typically play a round once a week and try to practice several times a week using ranges or indoor simulators. I feel like I have now gotten too used to perfect lies at ranges, and want to get out on grass more. Additionally, given the frequency I play, it seems more cost effective to just sign up somewhere.

I'm looking for a club in or around Coventry. My ideal scenario is a club with a driving range, putting green and short range area (in that order of priority). Additionally, (potentially asking for a unicorn) I don't want to spend a small fortune on membership, as a number of the clubs around me seem to require ludicrously high joining fees! happy to travel a little bit, but not really wanting a long travel. I'm based north of coventry.

Thank you all in advanced (and apologies if this is posted in the wrong place)
Welcome to the forum!

Not able to give any advice on clubs unfortunately.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I feel like I have now gotten too used to perfect lies at ranges, and want to get out on grass more.
Hi Duck...welcome...
This is where a lot of people find they can't take their range game to the course....
My course has hardly any flat lies....let alone perfect ones....
I've said it before...you learn to hit the ball on the range but you learn to play golf on the course..

Duck4cover

Visit site
Hi Duck...welcome...
This is where a lot of people find they can't take their range game to the course....
My course has hardly any flat lies....let alone perfect ones....
I've said it before...you learn to hit the ball on the range but you learn to play golf on the course..
Thanks! I completely agree. I'm still getting lessons when I can, so the range has its place to refine my swing. But I defo need to learn the game better by more time on grass.

Duck4cover

Visit site
I have played Stonebridgegolf.co.uk before on a society day. Nice course, 3 separate 9 hole courses. They have a driving range, short game area and putting green.
Yeah, this was actually one on my list of potential clubs. I'm hopefully gonna have a round there next week. I like the concept of having 3 9-hole courses and choosing which one you want to play. The only downside, I have used the range and wasnt a fan of hitting balls into water. Initially thought it would be fun, but (whether required or not) I like to see how the ball rolls out.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ansty, has all you ask for but it's not a club I would recommend, open all weather even when it's ankle deep in water, M6 J2

Stonebridge is south of the city along the A45, as posted above, 3 x 9 holes with a driving range on site

North Warwickshire, opposite Stonebridge, built on a quarry so always open but its a 9 hole course with 18 tees

Whitefields is in Dunchurch, next to Draycote water, about 5 mile along the A45 towards Daventry, not played for a long time but has a driving range on site

Coventry has a range area, and is classed as the premier club in the city, the course is located just a short distance of the A45 in Finham

Hearsall is a tree lined parkland course, within a mile of the city centre, by the Memorial Park, with limited practice facilities

I'm a member of Copsewood Golf Club, it's 9 holes and on flood plain but it only costs £540 pa,

Happy to sort out a trial round if you would like, or you could just contact our membership secrteary who will give you any information you want

Duck4cover

Visit site
Ansty, has all you ask for but it's not a club I would recommend, open all weather even when it's ankle deep in water, M6 J2

Stonebridge is south of the city along the A45, as posted above, 3 x 9 holes with a driving range on site

North Warwickshire, opposite Stonebridge, built on a quarry so always open but its a 9 hole course with 18 tees

Whitefields is in Dunchurch, next to Draycote water, about 5 mile along the A45 towards Daventry, not played for a long time but has a driving range on site

Coventry has a range area, and is classed as the premier club in the city, the course is located just a short distance of the A45 in Finham

Hearsall is a tree lined parkland course, within a mile of the city centre, by the Memorial Park, with limited practice facilities

I'm a member of Copsewood Golf Club, it's 9 holes and on flood plain but it only costs £540 pa,

Happy to sort out a trial round if you would like, or you could just contact our membership secrteary who will give you any information you want
Thanks a lot for the info. I've played Ansty a number of times. It gets very busy and it's not managed particularly well (people just tee off whenever they want). I also find the fairway is nice, but the rough is ridiculously deep (maybe I am being picky). The most frustrating part for me is the range being intermittant - lots of times ball collection is not happening and therefore range is closed!

I did message Hearsall today to inquire about prices.

I've not looked at Copsewood. What facilities do they have?

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
unfortunately we are restricted with space, as you walk on the course there are two nets, a practice bunker and a putting green, the club is all part of Copsewood Sports and Social, which incorporates football, cricket, golf, netball, bowls, air rifle range and a model railway

Duck4cover

Visit site
unfortunately we are restricted with space, as you walk on the course there are two nets, a practice bunker and a putting green, the club is all part of Copsewood Sports and Social, which incorporates football, cricket, golf, netball, bowls, air rifle range and a model railway
Ah ok. Maybe one for me to visit at some point, so not gonna write it off just yet 👍

Duck4cover

Visit site
Who are you having lessons with? Do they offer a playing lesson where they go out on the course with you?

Worth asking

Yeah great point to raise. Long story short, I get lessons at my workplace, which is not that close. So I either look to join a club near my home or near my work, in which case it would probably where he coaches (although there is an eye watering joining fee 🤣)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Not write it off? What a thing to say.

Take up his offer of a game right now and I will join you, if the good Mr Throttle will let me.
Copsewood is a lovely no-fuss place to play golf. Very interestingly laid out nine holes.

Pay twice as much for membership at Stonebridge or Whitefields, if you like, but you wont get twice the pleasure or enjoyment of playing golf.

Duck4cover

Visit site
Not write it off? What a thing to say.

Take up his offer of a game right now and I will join you, if the good Mr Throttle will let me.
Copsewood is a lovely no-fuss place to play golf. Very interestingly laid out nine holes.

Pay twice as much for membership at Stonebridge or Whitefields, if you like, but you wont get twice the pleasure or enjoyment of playing golf.
Oh, sorry it wasn’t meant in that tone. I just meant that my original post states that I was after a club with practice facilities, and the response was that it was limited. But, given the fact he was recommending it implied it should be one I should keep my eye on still.

Maybe a poor choice of wording by me, but it was meant as a more positive comment then perhaps the way it’s read

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Oh, sorry it wasn’t meant in that tone. I just meant that my original post states that I was after a club with practice facilities, and the response was that it was limited. But, given the fact he was recommending it implied it should be one I should keep my eye on still.

Maybe a poor choice of wording by me, but it was meant as a more positive comment then perhaps the way it’s read
I was only joshing with ya.

full_throttle has played at my course with me twice. He got me a game at Copsewood last year in an open invitation, but I played with his uncle.
So I demand that he owes me a game. :LOL::LOL: