Newbie and Course Help

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was only joshing with ya.

full_throttle has played at my course with me twice. He got me a game at Copsewood last year in an open invitation, but I played with his uncle.
So I demand that he owes me a game. :LOL::LOL:
Alan, you are more than welcome, I'll see what I can do, Saturdays are competition day, so Sundays or wait until next year when I get more holiday

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
If you play with Voyager EMH, don't be confused by his ancient clubs. He's a special kind of golfer.
OK if we are hijacking threads today, lets go for it.

Tomorrow I shall be gaming 19-year old Cobra driver, 3-wood and hybrid.
My irons and putter will be from the 90s. Powerbilt 2-iron, Daiwa Trypower TCS blades 3-PW, Cleveland Classics 58° and a Ben Sayers Opel Line 3 putter.
I play with new clubs like these when it is handicap qualifying.

The newest irons I own are Ping G10 and i10 from 2008 and Reid Lockhart blades 3-SW - not sure about exact date - possibly 2005 or thereabouts.
These are my other choices when it is handicap qualifying.

Cleaning up a lovely set of Slazenger Bobby Locke woods 1,2,3,4 and Bobby Locke Powermatic irons 3-SW and matching putter over the next week or so.
Original leather wound grips are in beautiful condition.
Early 1960s I think.

I've painted all my pink tees black (I'm lying about that bit)

Last edited:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Also beware that he may go on about the lofts on your irons being too low
Nowt wrong with the lofts on new clubs.
It is the numbering that is wrong.
:):):)

I'm really sorry about this, but I'm feeling rather euphoric and hyper.
I can close my right eye on its own for the first time in 10 days. And, more importantly, the blink function has returned.
8 days of steroids seems to have worked.
Going to fail the drugs test before tomorrow's comp maybe.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new to the forum, but i've been playing golf now for a year and a few months. I typically play a round once a week and try to practice several times a week using ranges or indoor simulators. I feel like I have now gotten too used to perfect lies at ranges, and want to get out on grass more. Additionally, given the frequency I play, it seems more cost effective to just sign up somewhere.

I'm looking for a club in or around Coventry. My ideal scenario is a club with a driving range, putting green and short range area (in that order of priority). Additionally, (potentially asking for a unicorn) I don't want to spend a small fortune on membership, as a number of the clubs around me seem to require ludicrously high joining fees! happy to travel a little bit, but not really wanting a long travel. I'm based north of coventry.

Thank you all in advanced (and apologies if this is posted in the wrong place)
I'm afraid that I don't know the courses near Coventry, but unless you are confident that you have found the right club I wouldn't be paying a joining fee. Go for somewhere with reasonable practice facilities and a half decent course. Then, if you find you prefer somewhere else, you can move on without regret.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

I note on another thread you are contemplating the Forest Of Arden - absolutely one of my favourite venues in that area.

As that suggests a little distance from Coventry is not an issue, have you considered Rugby GC? A small, friendly club with a really nicely maintained course and decent facilities (not sure if there’s a range). It’s certainly somewhere I’ve enjoyed playing.

Duck4cover

Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

I note on another thread you are contemplating the Forest Of Arden - absolutely one of my favourite venues in that area.

As that suggests a little distance from Coventry is not an issue, have you considered Rugby GC? A small, friendly club with a really nicely maintained course and decent facilities (not sure if there’s a range). It’s certainly somewhere I’ve enjoyed playing.
Thanks for the welcome, and obviously the suggestion. I have indeed played at Rugby, it wasn't to my liking i'm afraid to say.

Yeah, the forest of arden is a consideration, but in honesty, it would more than likely be the Aylesford course. I'm not sure I'd be ready for the big dog, as a high handicapper. Additionally, the cost of membership is more reasonable on the Aylesford. :ROFLMAO:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome, and obviously the suggestion. I have indeed played at Rugby, it wasn't to my liking i'm afraid to say.

Yeah, the forest of arden is a consideration, but in honesty, it would more than likely be the Aylesford course. I'm not sure I'd be ready for the big dog, as a high handicapper. Additionally, the cost of membership is more reasonable on the Aylesford. :ROFLMAO:

A mate of mine is a member at FOA. He loves it, but one downside is that I don’t think the membership is the biggest. Lots of corporate events and societies. Something to be mindful of.

I think Finham has been mentioned. That is a top place in my opinion and very worthy of serious consideration. I played it last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Duck4cover

Visit site
A mate of mine is a member at FOA. He loves it, but one downside is that I don’t think the membership is the biggest. Lots of corporate events and societies. Something to be mindful of.

I think Finham has been mentioned. That is a top place in my opinion and very worthy of serious consideration. I played it last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Thanks, I've actually not heard of Finham. I will give it a look, might be the answers to my prayers :ROFLMAO:

EDIT* I just checked and realised that Finham = Coventry GC.