Top 100

Boomy

Visit site
The beauty of the rankings is the attempt to be objective about something with a hugely subjective element to it, and the chatter it causes.

Silloth's fish & chips is worth the trip alone :)

100% agree Ian, looking forward to the clubhouse reopening for post round refuelling ?

D

Deleted member 3432

The standard in the top 100 is immense. You only have to look at some of the courses that haven't made it in to see how lucky we are in GB&I. Every club these days seem to be making changes and improvements and striving to move up the rankings. Are there any recent changes at Silloth or anything planned in the next couple of years?

Interesting one this, testament to the layout at Silloth that very little has changed over the years apart from moving the 5th green complex back 50 yards a little over 10 years ago. A new bunker was added last year to this hole about 120 yards short of the green on the right hand side of the fairway. This makes clubbing the lay up much harder especially playing off the very back tee when you could have a very long club in your hands. Not been caught out by it yet but its a shot gone job..

Long been rumoured about moving the very back tee on 7 behind the pond which would make the hole a little longer but straighter. Peronally I love the current back tee where the hogs back can make the ultra safe tee shot up the right so much longer than the tight line up the left.

Still discussions in place about proposed alterations to 10,11 and 12 to address the issue with the clown on the caravan site who complains about balls hitting his caravan.. This tee shot has been angled so far left over the years that I fail to see how anyone can hit it that far right..... On paper the plans look great, the new 12th would be a fantastic par 4 and the 10th would be improved. As far as I know we are holding off doing anything in the near future, not sure if hosting the Carris Trophy next year is the issue or for other reasons.

Fair to say that every 1st time visitor you speak to raves about the place, and that is good enough for me. We are not a hidden gem as many think, just a gem that is off the beaten track and well worth the trip if you have not played it especially as the green fee is for the day so you can play 36 holes or more if you are sadistic.

Realistically I think where we are in the rankings is about right. Weather plays a huge part in the course conditioning and its a battle especially at this time of the year to get grass growth with the local weather, either cold, wet or windy or all 3 together so its a testament to the small greens team they present the course as well as they do. They have done superb bunker renovation work over the winter months.

Club doesn't doesn't aspire to grandeur, we are aware we have a tremendous track that we fortunate to play very cheaply and the members are more than happy to share this great course with visiting guests.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Club doesn't doesn't aspire to grandeur, we are aware we have a tremendous track that we fortunate to play very cheaply and the members are more than happy to share this great course with visiting guests.

But just think, some focused marketing in America, charge them the obligatory £275 a round and your annual subs might halve! :unsure: :whistle: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 3432

But just think, some focused marketing in America, charge them the obligatory £275 a round and your annual subs might halve! :unsure::whistle: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

And still have money left over to build the long dreamed about hole between the dunes at the far end of the course behind the 7th and 8th :cool:(y)