Achilles tendinitis

HPIMG

Visit site
I have had a slight pain in my Achilles for a few months but very slight and would only pop up for a few hours at a time. I played golf on Friday everything was fine and as the night went on my pain got worse. Saturday morning woke up and could hardly walk and pain was really sore. Went to hospital dr said it was Achilles tendinitis and should go away within week or two.
Anyone else had this through playing golf ? I’m guessing it’s the golf that’s done it as I play minimum 5 days a week sometimes everyday. I have not really been able to walk the past few days although today it’s definitely eased off.
Thinking do I need a ride on golf buggy lol I am only 41 and keep quite fit and have never had an injury of any sort before. I do like to carry my golf bag but don’t fancy this flaring up again. I just wanted to ask has anyone had this before and what steps did they take to keep it at bay ?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Had it the last six months in right achilles. Carried on playing golf as it doesn't hurt when swinging club, but walking long distances especially up hill is painful.

Had a few games of padel and after that I can hardly walk. :eek:

Some cases last a few weeks and others can be years. Think I will be in the later group as my tennis elbow lasted three years.

Not sure how I got it, but don't think it was from golf. Long walks on the beach a possibilty.

Doctor did recommend putting a pad in the heel of shoes which does help. Flat shoes, flipflops not good idea.:)

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is an excellent Fit for Golf Podcast with an expert on tendon injuries /strain tendinitis. The main focus of discussion is on elbow problems in golf but the principles behind recovery rehab in all tendons are discussed. Well worth a listen.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have had a slight pain in my Achilles for a few months but very slight and would only pop up for a few hours at a time. I played golf on Friday everything was fine and as the night went on my pain got worse. Saturday morning woke up and could hardly walk and pain was really sore. Went to hospital dr said it was Achilles tendinitis and should go away within week or two.
Anyone else had this through playing golf ? I’m guessing it’s the golf that’s done it as I play minimum 5 days a week sometimes everyday. I have not really been able to walk the past few days although today it’s definitely eased off.
Thinking do I need a ride on golf buggy lol I am only 41 and keep quite fit and have never had an injury of any sort before. I do like to carry my golf bag but don’t fancy this flaring up again. I just wanted to ask has anyone had this before and what steps did they take to keep it at bay ?
Have you bought new shoes lately ?

Podiatrist has told me not to wear spikeless shoes as they are to flat and the soles bend to much ( flimsy).
This stretches the Accillies and calf muscle.
so I wear shoes with stiffer soles and a proper heel ( not to high) ;)

HPIMG

Visit site
Have you bought new shoes lately ?

Podiatrist has told me not to wear spikeless shoes as they are to flat and the soles bend to much ( flimsy).
This stretches the Accillies and calf muscle.
so I wear shoes with stiffer soles and a proper heel ( not to high) ;)
No haven’t bought new shoes in ages. I only have one pair of spikes that I keep for bad weather but I have a lot of golf shoes so always rotating them and there mostly all trainer like so comfy. I ordered heel pads for my shoes hopefully that helps. I am walking a lot better today but still awkward going up stairs.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Or are your old shoes or studs worn out?
She said to me ”it’s mainly spikeless are flat and very flimsy so your big toe is stretched.”
it’s all connected.
My main problem was cycling my calf muscles were so strong it was pulling on my tendons in my foot.

ops might be different but footwear is very important given the mileage we walk.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No haven’t bought new shoes in ages. I only have one pair of spikes that I keep for bad weather but I have a lot of golf shoes so always rotating them and they’re mostly all trainer like so comfy. I ordered heel pads for my shoes hopefully that helps. I am walking a lot better today but still awkward going up stairs.
Sounds like you might have just tweaked it .
Sometimes you can do this and not even notice.
Have you had a stumble or trip lately..?

HPIMG

Visit site
Or are your old shoes or studs worn out?
No I rotate my shoes so only wear them at most once a week there all pretty newish condition.
Sounds like you might have just tweaked it .
Sometimes you can do this and not even notice.
Have you had a stumble or trip lately..?
no that’s the weird thing I’ve not had a bang or fall. It just came on really fast. I think I really need to change my diet probably a good 21lbs overweight and although I don’t drink or smoke I do consume a lot of sugar. So if it’s just inflammation that’s probably my next step, really reduced the sugar intake.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use on of these during the day (other makes are available)

and one of these in bed at night

There are plenty of good advice things on the net that will tell you what exercises to do and when.

I also use exercise resistance stretch bands, their use is explained in some of the videos.

HPIMG

Visit site
I use on of these during the day (other makes are available)

and one of these in bed at night

There are plenty of good advice things on the net that will tell you what exercises to do and when.

I also use exercise resistance stretch bands, their use is explained in some of the videos.
My ankle support strap arrived this morning from Amazon so I have it on now. It definitely gives me more confidence walking as it’s held nice and tight. Anyone take naproxen for it ? That’s what the dr gave me but after taking two of the pills my stomach has been in bits and I felt really quite sick. So I had to stop taking them but it definitely is getting better.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
My ankle support strap arrived this morning from Amazon so I have it on now. It definitely gives me more confidence walking as it’s held nice and tight. Anyone take naproxen for it ? That’s what the dr gave me but after taking two of the pills my stomach has been in bits and I felt really quite sick. So I had to stop taking them but it definitely is getting better.

I have taken Naproxen for my chronic heel issues (caused by Haglund's Deformity). It must be taken with or after food and usually they also prescribe Omeprozale to protect the stomach.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have taken naproxen regularly for a number of years.

As per Amanda

I am surprised your doc did not also give you prescription for omeprazole* which protects the stomach from the side effects of anti inflammatory drugs such as this and Ibuprofen.

Make sure you read the patient leaflet as to the dosage and when to take it. I take 500mg as the initial dosage on day 1 and then 250 every 6-8 hours daily

*I am sure it is something that can be bought over the counter and have seen it in LIDL for less than the cost of a prescription if you have to pay.

HPIMG

Visit site
I have taken naproxen regularly for a number of years.

As per Amanda

I am surprised your doc did not also give you prescription for omeprazole* which protects the stomach from the side effects of anti inflammatory drugs such as this and Ibuprofen.

Make sure you read the patient leaflet as to the dosage and when to take it. I take 500mg as the initial dosage on day 1 and then 250 every 6-8 hours daily

*I am sure it is something that can be bought over the counter and have seen it in LIDL for less than the cost of a prescription if you have to pay.
The dr just said make sure I take them after food they didn’t give me omerprazole but I took the naproxen after food and my stomach was in bit and made me feel ill so I just binned the rest. Heel is definitely feeling better been going up the stairs now without grabbing onto the banister for dear life lol

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
The dr just said make sure I take them after food they didn’t give me omerprazole but I took the naproxen after food and my stomach was in bit and made me feel ill so I just binned the rest. Heel is definitely feeling better been going up the stairs now without grabbing onto the banister for dear life lol

Try some Voltarol - the 2.32% 12 hour stuff. Also ice your heel regularly. If you're ok on Ibuprofen they will help for sure.

HPIMG

Visit site
Try some Voltarol - the 2.32% 12 hour stuff. Also ice your heel regularly. If you're ok on Ibuprofen they will help for sure.
I’ve just been taking high doses of tumeric seems to have almost completely gone now. Hope to maybe get up the practice area tomorrow or next day.

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
Not sure it’s the same but I get a lot of heel pain. It was initially both feet but now just my left heel. When walking a while my heel aches and sometimes get a stinging in a couple of places in the heel. It’s quite tender when I get up in the morning. Is this similar to what your getting or anyone else had the same?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure it’s the same but I get a lot of heel pain. It was initially both feet but now just my left heel. When walking a while my heel aches and sometimes get a stinging in a couple of places in the heel. It’s quite tender when I get up in the morning. Is this similar to what your getting or anyone else had the same?
That sounds like Plantar Fasciitis .
I had that it’s very sore.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Do you have any sort of food allergies as that can be the source of the problem. I know someone who cannot take Naproxen for the same reason.