Holding breath while taking a shot?

James33uk

Visit site
Hi there can I ask a quick random question.

Have you ever heard of new golfers holding their breath when they take a shot?
Because I’m new and been playing everyday I have developed a sort of muscle pain in my chest/back which I think maybe from holding my breath and the impact of the shot and vibration has maybe done something.

I could be wrong though but I suspect this is what it is.

Has anyone ever had this?

James33uk

Visit site
I was thinking because I’ve been going everyday for like 2 months the constant hitting of the wrong place a lot instead of a nice flush shot, the vibrations and shock off that along with holding my breath has resulted in this, but as I say I could be wrong.
Just curious if anyone has experienced it….

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I can't remember the lady's name, but there is a coach who dabbles in the mystic eastern fighting arts who advocates exhaling before shots in order to be more relaxed.
She was on the mindfactor golf podcast. May have also had a column in the old golf international mag.

Obviously would be an issue if you took as long as some pros to hit the ball. They'd be blue in the face

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree with James R. Any new activity, especially at the levels you have been doing will bring on aches and pains. I also imagine that, unless you are hitting trees or other solid objects with your clubs, the vibrations will be nowhere near substantial enough to cause any damage - the worst most get is a ringing in the fingers, particularly on a cold day when you hit a really bad shot