Body turn or hands, arms

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Everyone has to make their own judgement but I know for myself that when I get my body turn and arms in sync I hit it better, truer and further than arms alone. Arms alone are a disaster for me. Each to their own though.
A pro once explained it to me in a lesson, the body turn and weight transfer adds power to the shot if synched correctly - almost like torque would if we were discussing motors or vehicles etc.
I know when I got it right, I could hit the ball miles (driver + 5 iron through a 490 yard par 5)
Sadly those days are a distant memory. ?

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Myself and some PPs were having this discussion the other day and it's funny because some days I feel like I'm all body and that my arms are just along for the ride and then others I feel like I need to make more of an arm swing.

With my 'body swing' I almost feel like it's a 1 piece move where the arms are nearly pre-set and I just turn back and through with a Fleetwood style finish.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I agree with this. I have often wondered why, in lessons, the pro has told me about taking the club away low and wide. Surely it is how the club arrives at the ball that is important, not how it leaves. I sometimes wonder if we would be better just getting the club into the top position by lifting it and setting the pose, then just doing the downswing part ???

PS I know this isn’t feasible for a whole load of reasons ?

Whilst the logic is sound, for me it’s a case of being in the right position half way through my backswing. If that’s wrong, nothing also falls into place, which is why I think concentrating on the takeaway is so, so important.

To answer the OP, my best golf is played when I concentrate on a one piece takeaway. If my swing is made with my arms, it’ll be a horrible round, guaranteed.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Whilst the logic is sound, for me it’s a case of being in the right position half way through my backswing. If that’s wrong, nothing also falls into place, which is why I think concentrating on the takeaway is so, so important.

To answer the OP, my best golf is played when I concentrate on a one piece takeaway. If my swing is made with my arms, it’ll be a horrible round, guaranteed.

Sometimes I think too much emphasis is put on the backswing.
As long as it ends in a fairly good position, it doesn't really matter how it gets there

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Sometimes I think too much emphasis is put on the backswing.
As long as it ends in a fairly good position, it doesn't really matter how it gets there

Absolutely agree, Bob, but in my case if it’s not reasonably good half way back it’s horrible by the time it gets to the top!!