Arthritic Knee Advice

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Evening all
I have arthritis in both knees, the left much worse than the right.

My main problem is when I sit down for 20 minutes, it is utter agony to get up and walk around, although this does ease after a few minutes.

So I need advise on changes to diet that might help,
Supplements that might help
Supports that might help
Pain relief
To be honest, anything that may help

Ta 👍

Last edited:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Firstly bad luck, sore knees are not pleasant, have had them for a few years.

The evidence suggests by far and away the best intervention for pain reduction is weight loss. Every bit helps. Keeping active and strengthening exercises for the muscles round your knees help as well.
Things like tumeric may help a bit and are worth trying but you'll get more benefit from weight loss.

RichA

Visit site
I have cartilage damage in both knees. About 10 years ago I was written off by the orthopaedic surgeon who examined my MRI scan: get a desk job; no more sport.
Luckily, I was a member of a scheme at work that provided me with 2 weeks intensive physio. They taught me exercises that I continued almost religiously. I also shed a couple of stone and, once I'd rebuilt my leg muscles to support the knee joints, kind of retrained my brain to ignore the pain. This was OK with my cartilage damage, which caused pain but wasn't necessarily impairing structural integrity of the knee - I don't know the specific nature of your arthritis.

The exercises were based on the early 80s Jane Fonda hip, tum and bum workout - specifically the prone exercises. Additionally, I did a lot of extra work with a balance board and step that I got inexpensively from physioroom.com.
I did about half an hour every day while watching TV.
It was life changing. Within 6 months I was playing cricket competitively again and kicking a football around recreationally.
I didn't play golf back then. If I had, I believe I would have been fit to play within a few weeks.

I never found any supplements that worked and tried many. Most just upset my stomach.
Knee supports gave me some confidence to get back into sport, but I got rid after a few weeks as dependence on them stops the muscles having to do their job properly.

Good luck. Knee pain is miserable until you get it under control.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Evening all
I have arthritis in both knees, the left much worse than the right.

My main problem is when I sit down for 20 minutes, it is utter agony to get up and walk around, although this does ease after a few minutes.

So I need advise on changes to diet that might help,
Supplements that might help
Supports that might help
Pain relief
To be honest, anything that may help

Ta 👍

That's what you get when you're a scout master and wear shorts all the time !!

It's the same with postman 😁

Crikey Phil there's always something wrong with you, are you a hypochondriac - do you stir your tea with a thermometer?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
That's what you get when you're a scout master and wear shorts all the time !!

It's the same with postman 😁

Crikey Phil there's always something wrong with you, are you a hypochondriac - do you stir your tea with a thermometer?
Ha, says the man with titanium hips :)

Its been 7 years since I last wore a woggle, doesnt time fly.
And yes, I do appear to have been a tad unlucky in the health department
2 proceedures going wrong hasnt helped.

But im still smiling (y)

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As others have said Tumeric. I believe that it’s helped with issues with my fingers.