To dream the impossible dream

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm intrigued that every time a Pro is interviewed, post-round, they intimate that they're somewhere along the road in a journey that's a "work in progress", a journey seeing them striving to achieve the ultimate game that will thereafter see them enjoying perfection every time they tee it up - once they reach their goal having somehow sussed all aspects of the game in its entirety.

Just watched Phil saying as much to Sky in The St Jude.

But now here's the thing...I've listened to this over the years by Phil, Tiger, Rory and all the others, yet never once has any of them declared they've reached Nirvana at any point. They're all still striving for it. So

Q. Does ultimate mastery of the game exist?
A. Of course not.

The reason being that there are always, and there always will be, so many uncontrollable variables on any given day, that even taking into account the amazing abilities of the game's current greats, they will be unable to control.

There has never been anyone who has mastered the game 100% every time, and until the end of all time there never will be.

The Pros ought to concern themselves with the here and now and forget chasing the unattainable.

As a very elderly Segovia once said when asked about his ability as a guitarist.

"Every day I still am learning something new"

Last edited:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's a difference between staying in the moment during the round and wanting to be the best player you can be in between rounds and they are not mutually exclusive.