Titleist irons

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
For some years I had a Ping G10 3-iron 21° and a Ping G10 21° hybrid in the bag.
I hit the hybrid over 10 yards further.
I've never thought of hybrids as long-iron replacements. More like loftier woods replacements to me.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If only carrying a single hybrid at 19deg or so, then yes, its a cross over of 5 or 7 wood towards 3 or 4 iron.
But hybrids popularity is in extending them upwards to the 22, 26, 29 range, so replacing 3, 4, 5 iron of old.
19/20 hybrid is even under threat from the 7 and 9 wood resurgence. Leaving hybrids even more as long iron replacement. Hybrids for 26 and below is probably the way to go for most, and even hybrid instead of the 29/30deg iron for those with slower swing speeds (ie about 20hi and above).

D

Deleted member 1147

For some years I had a Ping G10 3-iron 21° and a Ping G10 21° hybrid in the bag.
I hit the hybrid over 10 yards further.
I've never thought of hybrids as long-iron replacements. More like loftier woods replacements to me.
You aren’t replacing loft for loft, but distance for distance. The hybrid has a longer shaft and heavier head, so will go further if both have the same loft. You should have replaced with a more lofted hybrid.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
You aren’t replacing loft for loft, but distance for distance. The hybrid has a longer shaft and heavier head, so will go further if both have the same loft. You should have replaced with a more lofted hybrid.
No.
We are talking about 2008 Ping G10.
I hit several shots trying them out.
I was happy with the gap in distance between the 21° 3-iron and the 21° hybrid.
To me, the hybrid was a 5-wood replacement. I had driver, 3-wood, hybrid, ten irons and a putter.
I played with that combination for several years and never felt there was a problem or that "I should have" had some other choice.
Other players trying out the same clubs at the same time might have had a different experience.

I'm playing with different clubs now. I have driver, 3-wood, 20° hybrid, 2-iron to SW and putter.

Last edited:

RedEyes

Visit site
I've got the blended set of T200 4-5i & T150 6i-PW with Project X 6.0 shafts. Had the fitting August 4th and got them September 8th, played Aberdovey with them on the 9th and had my best round in 5 years.
I'd had my Taylormade RAC CB's for 17 years and was struggling with a high flight, high spinning ball, with no control in the wind.
I had the fitting and my old 7 iron was basically giving the same readings that I'm getting now with the T150 PW.
I found it hard to trust the new yardages for the first 5 or 6 holes, thinned a couple but after that I adjusted and played the best I have in years.
I've been the range with them a couple of times since and I've gained 20 yards with each club. So far so good!

Last edited:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has anyone been fitted at St Ives. If so what are the facilities and the set up like? Thinking of replacing my 2016 model AP2s.

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
Has anyone been fitted at St Ives. If so what are the facilities and the set up like? Thinking of replacing my 2016 model AP2s.
Yes , excellent. Proper titlest balls of your choice. Trackman, loads of shaft choice etc and very knowledgeable fitter.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've got the blended set of T200 4-5i & T150 6i-PW with Project X 6.0 shafts. Had the fitting August 4th and got them September 8th, played Aberdovey with them on the 9th and had my best round in 5 years.
I'd had my Taylormade RAC CB's for 17 years and was struggling with a high flight, high spinning ball, with no control in the wind.
I had the fitting and my old 7 iron was basically giving the same readings that I'm getting now with the T150 PW.
I found it hard to trust the new yardages for the first 5 or 6 holes, thinned a couple but after that I adjusted and played the best I have in years.
I've been the range with them a couple of times since and I've gained 20 yards with each club. So far so good!
How do you mean you were getting basically the same yardage with your 7i but you have gained 20 yards ?

RedEyes

Visit site
How do you mean you were getting basically the same yardage with your 7i but you have gained 20 yards ?
I’m getting the same with my new PW that I was with my old 7 iron. All my yardages with each club have jumped 20 yards. The spin rate and ball speed with my old 7 are the same as my new PW. The 7 iron below was my last range visit before the new irons Aug 30th and the new PW & 7i was the 15th September.IMG_7474.pngIMG_7476.png

Attachments

• IMG_7475.png
    IMG_7475.png
    197.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes , excellent. Proper titlest balls of your choice. Trackman, loads of shaft choice etc and very knowledgeable fitter.
Any idea what the procedure is for booking a fitting. Can you phone direct or do you have to book via a club pro? When I was fitted at Celtic Manor years ago I had to go via our club professional.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Any idea what the procedure is for booking a fitting. Can you phone direct or do you have to book via a club pro? When I was fitted at Celtic Manor years ago I had to go via our club professional.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks BiM. I tried to find this earlier but had no joy. 👍

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks again BiM. Just booked myself an iron fitting for next month. And as my 910 is now 11 years old I thought I would get fitted for a new driver too.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Thanks again BiM. Just booked myself an iron fitting for next month. And as my 910 is now 11 years old I thought I would get fitted for a new driver too.
It’s a shame our front 9 is closed and we aren’t allowed visitors on, otherwise we could have had a game whilst you were there.

I’m desperately trying not to book myself in for an iron fitting, but I’m rapidly going off my Pings and I do like the look of the T150s

Jason.H

Visit site
It’s a shame our front 9 is closed and we aren’t allowed visitors on, otherwise we could have had a game whilst you were there.

I’m desperately trying not to book myself in for an iron fitting, but I’m rapidly going off my Pings and I do like the look of the T150s

I do like my T150,s. I went for a lighter shaft (AMT red) which helps launch the longer irons.

ThinBullet

Visit site
When the last model of the T series was released, I rushed to SGGT to get fitted for them. T100S was the pick. This time around, I haven't even demo'd them because I think they look ugly. Shows that beauty is in the eye of the beer holder :)