Tips for new golfers - from golfers

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When learning to swing the club, stay away from YouTube and technical articles, don't try and copy anyone's swing, find a golf pro that you get along with.
The ball doesn't care or know what your swing looks like.
Ignore the golf myths, such as: 'keep your head down/still', 'hit down on the ball to make it go up', 'drive for show putt for dough', 'golf is played with a straight left arm' etc.
On the course, aim away from penalty areas and try to stay out of the tree's and bunkers.
Pick a club to reach the back of the green, your normal shot will not go as far as you think!
When you do get into trouble, get the ball back in play the safest and easiest way - you're not Seve!
That one's not really a myth though?? :LOL: In terms of striking an iron it's true. :unsure:

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That one's not really a myth though?? :LOL: In terms of striking an iron it's true. :unsure:

Total myth!......the spin loft makes the ball go up, lots of pro's will teach that the low point of the swing should be after the ball (but that is a different thing), and there are plenty of very, very good golfers who don't take a divot! If you put the idea that you have to hit down on the ball to make it go up into a beginners head, they will likely have the intent to hit down on the ball, which is more likely to produce fat shots than good strikes and can potentially even cause injury.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Total myth!......the spin loft makes the ball go up, lots of pro's will teach that the low point of the swing should be after the ball (but that is a different thing), and there are plenty of very, very good golfers who don't take a divot! If you put the idea that you have to hit down on the ball to make it go up into a beginners head, they will likely have the intent to hit down on the ball, which is more likely to produce fat shots than good strikes and can potentially even cause injury.
I don't take a divot either but I still know if I hit up on the ball with an iron I'm fatting, thinning or topping it. When I said it in my original post it was because of how many beginners you see almost trying to scoop the ball up off the ground which never works. Perhaps rather than 'hit down' you'd prefer 'don't try and scoop it up' then?

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't take a divot either but I still know if I hit up on the ball with an iron I'm fatting, thinning or topping it. When I said it in my original post it was because of how many beginners you see almost trying to scoop the ball up off the ground which never works. Perhaps rather than 'hit down' you'd prefer 'don't try and scoop it up' then?

Certainly good advice not to scoop/flip at the ball......But that's not a myth :unsure:

Most, if not all, pro's are actually moving their hands up through contact, the club head is still descending, but their hands and upper body are moving away from the ground!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This thread goes to show that post #4 and #19 were correct when they said 'Don't take tips from other golfers' - we can't seem to agree on anything when it comes to playing the game :rolleyes:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Remember that everyone was a beginner once so has been through what you are going through now! There will always be someone better, and there will always be someone worse. No one minds a bad golfer, everyone minds an inconsiderate one!

Lessons/coaching early on are a good investment. Find a Pro you get on with and listen less to well meant technical advice from your friends! Progress is never linear. Keep it fun.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A new golfer came on to this forum, he was somebody I was following on Twitter, and I recognised his avatar. Highly enthusiastic about golf and the enjoyment he had found in the game. Made an introduction into the LIV thread - saying he was enjoying it. He was dismissed as being in the wrong, received the usual quips from the usual people, and buggered off.

So my advice, stick to twitter if you want open mindedness and a welcoming attitude.

(Is that 80 words?) ;-)

Seriously though, start on a short course, one that is welcoming to new players and doesn't have strict dress codes etc. Use social media to gain advice on courses, equipment, or even to shout a game with somebody. Find out when the best times to play are to avoid busy periods when you may feel pressured. Use a driving range to build up to a level where you feel you can venture onto a course, and don't just stand there blatting the driver.

These points. My local Muni (Southampton) is a cracking, tough course but, because it's a Muni, has plenty of people that are beginning in the game and get beaten up by the course.

My pieces of advice would be to ignore any willy-waving about hitting the ball miles, play courses that you are likely to enjoy rather than trying to emulate Rory and Tiger on difficult tracks. Also, getting out and playing is always much better for learning than simply hitting balls on the range (Perhaps a bit difficult at the mo) as you will experience different scenarios that you won't on the range.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
There are only two main problems to be overcome as you progress with learning how to play golf,

1. Standing too close to the ball after you've hit it.

and

2. Hitting the ball too many times.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
In terms of being able to hitnthe ball:-

Grip
Stance
Aim
Posture.

Learning to aim particular is something I think a lot of golfers (including myself) struggle with.

Most importantly, play in the knowledge that we all hit bad shots and golf isn't a stuffy old mans game. It's about having fun.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Try to find local group lessons. A great cheap way to learn the basics and meet other beginners.

When playing with others, it’s more important to be good company than a good golfer.

You should enjoy being on the course most (everybody gets out of bed the wrong side occasionally) of the time, not just when you play well.

If you get the bug, decide if you are happy just playing for the sake of it or want to find out how good you can be. If it’s the latter, take semi regular lessons.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Give a toddler a little golf club and a ball, and with a carefree swish they’ll gleefully give it a whack; run after it laughing and whack it again…give them a hole to put the ball in and they’ll eventually succeed, and with much pride and achievement pick the ball out of the hole and joyfully do it all again.

We can all do that if we so choose to do…??

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Best piece of advice I got (from a pro) was don't worry if you hit a bad shot. You are a high handicapper, it's normal. However if you hit the same bad shot 4 or 5 times in a row, you are doing something wrong.

I used to fixate on my one or two bad shots rather than the good ones, didn't do me any good.

Also, try to visualise the best outcome when you are getting ready to take a shot. If you think you are going to hit a bad shot, you generally do. Think positive.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Be aware of the three cornerstones of the game. Firstly, play the ball as it lies. Secondly, play with integrity, with due respect for the course and your fellow golfers. Thirdly, you are your own arbiter. That is the essence of the first of the 24 Rules of Golf. If you don't want to embrace it fully then golf is not for you. If you do, welcome to an endlessly wonderful and frustrating game. It will be some time before you are competent, but in no time at all it will become fun.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Also, try to visualise the best outcome when you are getting ready to take a shot. If you think you are going to hit a bad shot, you generally do. Think positive.
This is a good one. People sometimes remark that I am very quick over the ball. I usually just say that's all the time it takes to think about the shot I want to hit. People who stand over the ball for ages are generally thinking about all the bad shots they don't want to hit, I think.