Time for a new driver. Maybe PXG

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
I'm looking at upgrading from my 8 year old Cobra Flyz but I won't be paying £500+ for one.

Has anyone tried the PXG drivers as they're set at more affordable prices and this would allow custom fitting. It's either one of those or something from last year like the ping G425.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm looking at upgrading from my 8 year old Cobra Flyz but I won't be paying £500+ for one.

Has anyone tried the PXG drivers as they're set at more affordable prices and this would allow custom fitting. It's either one of those or something from last year like the ping G425.

Have a look at the original blue callaway rogue

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have one of the previous generation 0211 drivers. Not fitted for it but very happy with it. Very forgiving, goes very straight.

My son was fitted for a 3 wood with them. He was very happy with the fitting process. It was very thorough, no pressure.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I bought the 0311 XF last summer when it was £250. Not fitted for it, but went 0.5 inch shorter shaft and on doing some basic research went for the shaft that was nearest to the one in my Mizuno driver.

The driver has gone well for me right from day one. It’s similar distance wise to the Mizuno, but it gives me a slightly better dispersion. For the price it is excellent value.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The others have to charge the high prices or golfer would take them seriously and buy them. The manufacturers have found that the best way to sell clubs is to increase the price.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I've mentioned this previously. My mate was playing a Titleist 915 D2, wanted an upgrade and went to Express Golf for a fitting. He tried the full range of current (at the time) heads and a mixture of shafts.

Utilising Trackman and with the skills of the fitter they placed him in a Project X Evenflow Riptide CB 6.0 50gm. Based on performance the head could have been almost anything. He chose the PXG 0211, 10.5 degree as it performed as well as the top brands but was half the price.

Back on the course the results were staggering with a huge increase in distance over his old one. This was presumably down to a mixture of new tech over old and having a fitting.

simo71

Visit site
I was fitted for the 0211 but can't get along with it at all. Selling it for £99 plus postage if you want it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

I’m in similar boat, also have the fly-z and hankering to change, but not to the 23’ models

I’ve seen a few from 2022 that appeal & are really good prices now from Ping, Cobra, Mizuno, Callaway etc all now less than half the price of the new stuff. The only thing holding me back is… I know (even though its 7yrs old) the fly-z is in good condition and not broken and..... can still punt a golf ball further than I’ve ever hit with it!

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
I’m in similar boat, also have the fly-z and hankering to change, but not to the 23’ models

I’ve seen a few from 2022 that appeal & are really good prices now from Ping, Cobra, Mizuno, Callaway etc all now less than half the price of the new stuff. The only thing holding me back is… I know (even though its 7yrs old) the fly-z is in good condition and not broken and..... can still punt a golf ball further than I’ve ever hit with it!
I know what you mean, mine works good enough, but as a 7/8 year old driver I would like to think I could gain some distance and forgiveness from a newer model. I'm tempted by the Ping G425.

Getting fitted would be nice, but in my experience in not sure how much difference it makes.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I know what you mean, mine works good enough, but as a 7/8 year old driver I would like to think I could gain some distance and forgiveness from a newer model. I'm tempted by the Ping G425.

Getting fitted would be nice, but in my experience in not sure how much difference it makes.

Yeah the ping seems like a serious contender & makes my shortlist
Tough to get a fitting where I live so it'll be internet shopping if I buy a new one, like the fly z was, so without even seeing it in the flesh
Even tougher to get a fitting on 'old stock' I'd imagine

And that's the crux, how many extra yards is worth shelling out for a new driver when the current one is perfectly serviceable. I wouldn't change for say 10-15yrds. There's far too many other variables in play that could give a +/- 15 yards on any given drive

Its a quandary :unsure:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yeah the ping seems like a serious contender & makes my shortlist
Tough to get a fitting where I live so it'll be internet shopping if I buy a new one, like the fly z was, so without even seeing it in the flesh
Even tougher to get a fitting on 'old stock' I'd imagine

And that's the crux, how many extra yards is worth shelling out for a new driver when the current one is perfectly serviceable. I wouldn't change for say 10-15yrds. There's far too many other variables in play that could give a +/- 15 yards on any given drive

Its a quandary :unsure:
These days you need to focus more on the bad shots.
A 6 year old driver vs a new one on a poor toe or heel strike can easily be 20 yards difference and several yards straighter.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
A 6 year old driver vs a new one on a poor toe or heel strike can easily be 20 yards difference and several yards straighter.

Yeah sounds obvious when you say it… whereas a tour pro is fine (delighted) with +15 from a new driver. As you say for us mortals its forgiveness/results from the off-hits

Although to be fair to them the fly-z (driver and irons) are bloomin forgiving already, so what on earth can be expected 6-8 years later with new kit. I assume no one (excluding the odd sibling) with 23’ kit could miss any fairway/green

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Yeah sounds obvious when you say it… whereas a tour pro is fine (delighted) with +15 from a new driver. As you say for us mortals its forgiveness/results from the off-hits

Although to be fair to them the fly-z (driver and irons) are bloomin forgiving already, so what on earth can be expected 6-8 years later with new kit. I assume no one (excluding the odd sibling) with 23’ kit could miss any fairway/green
We're holding 200g of metal and carbon on the end of a 45inch stick and moving it sevaral yards - there's so much more that can go wrong than right.....

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Where did you get fitted for it?

I once won a fitting at The Belfry for a new TM SLDR. Easily the worst driver I've ever had.
Sorry to jump in. PXG seem to do fittings at local clubs. If you check out their website it will tell you where they fit in your area and when they are there next. They come to a club near to me every 3-4 months it seems.

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
This is why I'm thinking of upgrading. I don't think I'll gain any distance from a coming out the middle of the face, wherever that is! But should gain a lot more consistency.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Just trying to arrange a fitting for Driver, Fairways and hybrid. A centre close to me does PXG but they bring their own guys in, so if you want to get fit for PXG and say Cobra/Ping etc. it's two separate fittings.
So depending what happens if you want to try PXG, and other manufacturers you're doubling the time and more than likely paying for a fitting because you're not buying.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I am on the verge of buying a G430 .
so my G425 will be for sale.
its 10.5 stiff Alta . Headcover and adjustment tool.
play marks on face and sole but unmarked on crown and shaft.
at the moment it has an Iomic midsize grip on but I can fit a standard grip no problem .inc
going on eBay for £250 + postage .
so £250 delivered if your interested.