Tigers back.

D

Deleted member 15344

Am I the only one who really couldn't care less?
Nope - I expect it will be the same as last time - over the top hype about a golfer is now old news within the current field of golfers

It’s time to move on just like the game of golf has moved on - thank him for what he has does but golf would do better to focus on the present

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Whatever happens this week, the Fanboys and the Haters need to keep calm.
You can't decide whether he's "back" or not until he's completed at least a couple more tournaments.
The Hero is an ideal comeback event. No cut, no real pressure, 18(?) players - so even if he's flat last he still finishes 18th....if he finishes 5th it doesn't make it a successful comeback..
Get him in a couple of proper PGA events and then you'll be able to see where he is in comparison to the rest of the field.
I fear Internet meltdown if he does finish top 5

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Nope - I expect it will be the same as last time - over the top hype about a golfer is now old news within the current field of golfers

It’s time to move on just like the grame of golf has moved on - thank him for what he has does but golf would do better to focus on the present

whikst I agree there is a media circus.

He clearly isn’t old news. He is still far and away the stand out name (not player) in golf. All the current stars grew up idolising him and I’m sure are more than happy to share a round or two with him on the thurs and Fridays he participates in.......

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Be interesting to see how he goes, all sounds positive but all has been before. I wouldn't bother my backside watching this tournament if he wasn't coming back tbh.

Not sure golf has really "moved on", a lot of the hype is by people interested in watching him so obviously still a big draw to golf fans (not all obviously).

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
May need to partake in some commentator/pundit bingo.

How long before someone mentions a possible Ryder Cup wildcard for Tigger?

D

Deleted member 23270

I saw a tweet this afternoon that showed Tiger's potential world ranking after next week. Even if he finishes last he will move up a squillion places in the rankings.

Should a closed small field invitational event like this carry OWGR points? I think not.

Imurg

Visit site
I saw a tweet this afternoon that showed Tiger's potential world ranking after next week. Even if he finishes last he will move up a squillion places in the rankings.

Should a closed small field invitational event like this carry OWGR points? I think not.

No it shouldn't.
It's too small a field.
Last year Tiger got 4.38 points for coming 15th in an 18 man field
This year Stenson got 4.32 points for coming 10th in a field of 150+ at the BMW International in June..
That just can't be right..
Whoever comes last is going to get around 3.5 points - that's the equivalent of finishing T37 at The Open......

Digger

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No it shouldn't.
It's too small a field.
Last year Tiger got 4.38 points for coming 15th in an 18 man field
This year Stenson got 4.32 points for coming 10th in a field of 150+ at the BMW International in June..
That just can't be right..
Whoever comes last is going to get around 3.5 points - that's the equivalent of finishing T37 at The Open......

Didn't know any of that. That's surely not fair on the guys rocking up week in week out fighting for the points.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
whikst I agree there is a media circus.

He clearly isn’t old news. He is still far and away the stand out name (not player) in golf. All the current stars grew up idolising him and I’m sure are more than happy to share a round or two with him on the thurs and Fridays he participates in.......

Definitely not old news and the modern day pros enjoying the perks of endorsements and big purses every week owe a lot for the way Woods changed the game. Has it really moved on that much? There's no stand out player in the world and we do see some of the older players still managing to win on tour. It can't be beyond the realms of possibilities for him to get to the top 50 again, fitness and form permitting and that has to be great for the game to see him in the big events likes the WGC's.

Imurg

Visit site
Points are generally based on the %age of players who are in the top 100.
Obviously at the Hero, they all are - with the exception of Tiger
At standard Tour events you may have 20% of the top 100 playing so fewer points are available.At some ET events the %age could be very low...

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Points are generally based on the %age of players who are in the top 100.
Obviously at the Hero, they all are - with the exception of Tiger
At standard Tour events you may have 20% of the top 100 playing so fewer points are available.At some ET events the %age could be very low...

Agreed this is a nonsense for what is an invitational event. Wider point in general about the imbalance between regular PGA and Euro Tour events is also something that needs to be addressed if the European Tour is to survive/thrive IMO

Imurg

Visit site
Agreed this is a nonsense for what is an invitational event. Wider point in general about the imbalance between regular PGA and Euro Tour events is also something that needs to be addressed if the European Tour is to survive/thrive IMO

Correction to previous - it's the top 200 not 100.

It's a complicated process working out how many points are available for each tournament.
http://www.owgr.com/about

And, as it's based on rankings, until more top players - top 50 or better- play more ET events, nothing is likely to change.
Bigger prizes attract the better player and the bigger prizes are across the pond....

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Here's the breakdown of how his WR will be affected this week:

DPeNfCgWsAAjzyJ.jpg

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s pathetic that so many world ranking points should on offer for what’s essentially a very rich invitational event - it should have no status and no affect on any ranking system

The sooner they revamp the system and base the points on the events not who is playing - it would start to create a more level playing field

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe shouldn't be quite as many ranking points as there are for this tournament, but I think it makes sense that it has a good standing. This is an event where the field is made up of the elite players in the world, invitational or not, so a win here should be worth more than a win at your bog standard European Tour event. If Tiger comes in off a lay-off and does well, he deserves the ranking points because he'll prove he belongs with those elite players. I don't have a problem with it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It’s pathetic that so many world ranking points should on offer for what’s essentially a very rich invitational event - it should have no status and no affect on any ranking system

The sooner they revamp the system and base the points on the events not who is playing - it would start to create a more level playing field

You could just as easily be describing The Masters there

D

Deleted member 1147

You could just as easily be describing The Masters there

Not really. You basically have to be either, a winner of certain events, or one of the top players in the world to get an invitation to The Masters.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not really. You basically have to be either, a winner of certain events, or one of the top players in the world to get an invitation to The Masters.

That's kinda what I mean, you either have to win an event or one of the top players in the world to get an invitation to the Hero event too

And both are reduced field invitational

Last edited: