Tiger Woods Return To The Tour

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you truly belive that?

Whilst he's l;ikely a spent force, if the 59 is the be all are we saying now that those that have hit it are better than him? A 59 for me is similar to a whole in one. It's somthing to cherish, but im sure woods is much happier with his 61 or 70 for that matter if it lead to a major win.

Nah dude, you're talking rubbish. Everyone knows if Jim Furyk was around in 2000 there would be no Tiger Woods. Oh, wait.

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
I genuinely can't tell if this is a joke or not.

But before writing 'total crap' about an opinion you don't care for, consider the facts:
Golfers Don't Win Majors As They Continue to Age | Golf Channel
http://www.golfchannel.com/news/joe-posnanski/does-age-really-matter-golf-yes-it-does/

At least this thread reminds us why bookies are rich...

Just read this article... some good points, thank you.

Does show that great players over 40 are not "spent", they do still win... but unsurprisingly do not dominate -

He concluded -

[FONT=&quot]"Woods will continue to fascinate for years. I think he has another major championship or two in him. Everyone will watch closely when he returns from this injury. His good days will inspire an overreaction just like his bad days will. Nicklaus has said it: Nobody ever played golf as well as Tiger did as a young man. But nobody in the last 50 years played golf as well as Jack Nicklaus did as an old man. And, as hard as it is to believe, that is a whole different skill."[/FONT]

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
So now your comparing a club comp to a Pro Tour, your great value you :rofl:

Nope, was responding to another post, so think you've misunderstood me - see below for context.

According to this http://www.golfchannel.com/news/joe-posnanski/does-age-really-matter-golf-yes-it-does/

The fact is 8% wins go to over 41's in Major Championships (since 1960s)
That is not what I call "extremely unlikely"... it's 1 in 10.
And 24% for >36yrs... that's 1/5 and there are 4 majors/year...

My point is simply this, statistics aside it does happen and I don't think it's right to tell people to be "clear sighted" that they have no chance.

Originally Posted by pendodave

I hope some of you are more clear sighted about your own games than you are about Mr Woods'....

The over 40s examples thrown about are a perfect example of taking anomalous behaviour and optimistically applying it to the current situation. Statistically, success over the age of 40 on tour is extremely unlikely. Where it occurs it is with golfers who are unusually fit/healthy (Stenson) or have swings which generate speed through angles rather than violent movement (Phil).

Which one of those two groups does tiger fit in to (clue: it's neither)

mikseymono

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Liking the thread............major uphill battle for Tiger. I really don't think he will claim another Major and based on current form he doesn't look like he'll be staying for any weekend golf either...............but form is temporary and all that. He has inspired so many other players....and these are the ones he is now competing against. The talk/press etc and the total dominant TV coverage of Tiger will take the pressure off the others players and fear they will just zoom pass him. The others must be secretly pleased of his return so as to take away quite alot of the pressure from them and they can just get on and play their game with little distraction.

I would love to be wrong. Just can't see it. I shall be watching his progress tomorrow....obvs........

M

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Liking the thread............major uphill battle for Tiger. I really don't think he will claim another Major and based on current form he doesn't look like he'll be staying for any weekend golf either...............but form is temporary and all that. He has inspired so many other players....and these are the ones he is now competing against. The talk/press etc and the total dominant TV coverage of Tiger will take the pressure off the others players and fear they will just zoom pass him. The others must be secretly pleased of his return so as to take away quite alot of the pressure from them and they can just get on and play their game with little distraction.

I would love to be wrong. Just can't see it. I shall be watching his progress tomorrow....obvs........

M

I'm sticking with my prediction I posted earlier that I dont think Woods will make the cut in the 4 events he is playing over 5 weeks with his comeback,he was so out of sorts today.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was a little disappointed in Woods I'm honest and thought after playing last week and going to a course he has played well at before would help it click. He just doesn't seem on it and looked a little confused and deflated. I hope he can play better tomorrow and at least threaten the clut line

D

Deleted member 15344

Do you truly belive that?

Whilst he's l;ikely a spent force, if the 59 is the be all are we saying now that those that have hit it are better than him? A 59 for me is similar to a whole in one. It's somthing to cherish, but im sure woods is much happier with his 61 or 70 for that matter if it lead to a major win.

Stats can be manipulated for good and bad, it would be interesting to see how under par he went in his best season, how good his gir and putts figures were. I'd hazard a guess that at his peak that far outweigh the current young guns.

As you say stats can be used in many ways

So I had a quick peek at the records in the majors - lowest scores etc

And right now in all the majors the lowest agg scores are all held by the current young guns

Masters - Spieth

US Open - McIlroy

The Open - Stenson

US PGA - Day

The only one for Woods I can find is biggest margin in Peeble Beech 2001.

Lots of other scoring records and Woods doesn't feature much anymore and that's with course supposedly being toughened up

I think overrall the truth is closer to the middle

Tiger was at the peak of his game longer than anyone else but at times his competition wasn't the greatest and overall the game imo wasn't as strong as it is now.

The reason why someone doesn't dominate like Woods did now is because everyone else is at that high a level.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

And right now in all the majors the lowest agg scores are all held by the current young guns

Masters - Spieth

US Open - McIlroy

The Open - Stenson

US PGA - Day

Lots of other scoring records and Woods doesn't feature much anymore and that's with course supposedly being toughened up

Tiger was at the peak of his game longer than anyone else but at times his competition wasn't the greatest and overall the game imo wasn't as strong as it is now.

The reason why someone doesn't dominate like Woods did now is because everyone else is at that high a level.

This for me is where most of woods ditrqctors go wrong. It was never his distance that impressed me most or was most relevant to his wins.

his short game and putting was magic, he could miss a green from 80 yards due to his apparent distance, or 180 if he was scrambling.

It was the par saves he made, or the equaliser chips that gave him opportunities.

At at his peak I believe he could play now and would still tear the longer courses (haven't courses grown about 150 yards in a decade)? Id back woods to get as many birdies on a 600 yard par 5 as dj or Mcilroy. Even if he was 20/30 yards shorter off the tee.

I fear he may is finished now, but think that it's his persona that makes people dismiss (to a point) his achievement, blaimimg it on short courses or poor competition as they don't like him so pick fault.

Soft hands

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tiger looks awful which is a shame, he looks like an old man.

Not really tead read the thread but surely no one is saying the players of today are better than peak tiger?

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Any pro hitting form could give Woods in his prime a game just ask Y.E Yang and a handful of others.

There's some fantastic players around right now and when on their game they'd give Woods in his pomp a run but they're all streaky players, none of them would of stayed with him year on year.

The Difference with Woods was he set the bar, he was on it pretty much everytime he tee'd it up and was relentless week in week out for over a decade. Like him or loathe him that's what sets him apart by a considerable distance.

Last edited:

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Masters - Spieth

US Open - McIlroy

The Open - Stenson

US PGA - Day

Young guns? Stenson's 40!!

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I think Woods created the current crop of golfs superstars simply because the talent was there with them and the top coaches had to teach their guys to a better standard if they wanted to challenge him,agree with a former post that the standard now is much higher than when Woods was at his best,theres litterally so many better players now that makes golf much more enjoyable as a fan.

D

Deleted member 15344

Young guns? Stenson's 40!!
It's just a saying

Basically the point is that it shows how much the game is moving on and how much better the player overall standard of the game is right now compared to 15 years ago when Woods was at his peak. The players who are holding the records are the ones you see right now who you would expect to be favourites for the majors - equipment has helped , so has the added emphasis on physical fitness

In twenty years time I expect those records to be held by the ones who are at their peak then

Woods took the game up a big level as the equipment was changing , his level of consistent performance was like nothing seen before.

The current crop of players have taken that level and taken it another step further and instead of one person being dominant there are a number of world class golfers who are hitting peaks.

It's very hard to say who would beat who in Regards any golfer through the ages.

I think any answer of who would win between

Vardon , Jones , Hagen , Hogan , Watson , Woods , Seve , Faldo , McIlroy etc would more than likely all come down to personal opinion.