Tiger Woods Return To The Tour

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think Tiger is interested in just being in the field. He wants to win and win badly. I believe once he realises he cannot win regularly or even occasionally he will call it quits. He never was and never will be someone happy not being at the top.

You may be right and he does jack it in, however I think it's up to him.

I'm not a huge Tiger (never have been really) but what I don't understand is people saying if he isn't winning majors/dominating he should just pack it in!? There's plenty of bang average (relatively speaking of course) players on tour that make a living out of it but aren't scaring the leaderboard very often, if Tiger is happy to play and do that then why should he chuck it? (I don't think he will right enough but if he chooses to do so fair play).

D

Deleted member 1418

And don't forget playing Taylormade clubs now means they will be bringing a brand new model of iron for each event he enters, so he won't have to worry about that aspect:)

Nike are also apparently discontinuing the 'Victory Red' clothing and replacing it with the 'Missed-Cut Mauve' apparel line for Tiger to wear on a Friday........!!! :whistle:

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
You may be right and he does jack it in, however I think it's up to him.

I'm not a huge Tiger (never have been really) but what I don't understand is people saying if he isn't winning majors/dominating he should just pack it in!? There's plenty of bang average (relatively speaking of course) players on tour that make a living out of it but aren't scaring the leaderboard very often, if Tiger is happy to play and do that then why should he chuck it? (I don't think he will right enough but if he chooses to do so fair play).

I am not saying he should jack it in I just think he will. He was a very special player and the way he dominated the game means being an average pro and just winning a few times a year is never where he has been and dropping down to say not getting in the top 10 in tournaments let alone winning could be the end for him.

I am not a TW fan but have watched his recent appearances and he is a massive draw to viewers and I would love to see him play for a few more years I just don't think he will if he cannot get back to the top, he just doesn't seem to be a mid table player.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I am not a TW fan but have watched his recent appearances and he is a massive draw to viewers and I would love to see him play for a few more years I just don't think he will if he cannot get back to the top, he just doesn't seem to be a mid table player.

Yes he still is but how much longer do you think he will continue to pull in the crowds playing the way he is at the moment? I think people are tuning in to see a bit of car crash TV. He was phenomenal in his day but personally I think it's time he called it a day.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes he still is but how much longer do you think he will continue to pull in the crowds playing the way he is at the moment? I think people are tuning in to see a bit of car crash TV. He was phenomenal in his day but personally I think it's time he called it a day.

I think he has this season, if it's a disaster he will lose that pull but at present we have people watching to see him either win or fail. If he starts finishing in the 40's people will lose interest even faster.

U

User62651

Needs Kiwi Steve on the bag again,:D

But seriously shame all this, the man has tried really hard to get back from savage injuries but keeps getting setbacks. Only 41, many players have had peaks at that age - O'Meara, Mickleson, Stricker, Perry, VJ etc so he's maybe got that in his mind and is right not to call it quits until he's absolutely sure he can't play as he needs to. Looking at his range videos in UAE he looks to be swinging well enough.
As a fellow bad back sufferer I can go months ok then from out of nowhere get a back spasm with no obvious cause at all, there is no way I could swing a club when it happens though, sometimes it takes a day to get over, sometimes 3 weeks.
Truth be told when my back first went in 2008 I was never able to hit a golf ball as far again, back injuries do take their toll alas in terms of strength and flexibility. Not easy to accept getting older means physical degradation either.

TW is the greatest player in golf with respect to Jack. He also has arguably the greatest shot ever played for that chip-in on 16 at Augusta 2005 in terms of occasion and theatre, position relative to winning a major, and the age it took for the ball to drop.

His legacy is assured should he decide to call time but 41 is early for a golfer. He may have an eye on Seniors tour in 9 years. People need a purpose no matter what age they are, particularly competitive people so it's up to him ultimately. Torrey Pines US Open win does seem a long long time ago now though.

Back problems could be serious but also could be nothing more than a niggle, he's right to pull out and get treatment/rest up imo.

D

Deleted Member 1156

TW is the greatest player in golf with respect to Jack. He also has arguably the greatest shot ever played for that chip-in on 16 at Augusta 2005 in terms of occasion and theatre, position relative to winning a major, and the age it took for the ball to drop.

:rofl:

U

User62651

:mmm: Well virtually chortle you may but I've watched an awful lot of golf over the years and have never seen a better shot in terms of planning, execution and excitement of it dropping so slowly given the context of the major tournament nearing conclusion with his primary opponent slightly ahead.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Deary me, you Tiger fanboys really need to take your blinkers off! It was a straightforward chip that any player in the field would have got close due to the contours of the green.

You want a great shot under pressure? Try Gene Sarazon's albatross on the 15th in 1935 or Mickelson's shot out the trees on 13th in 2010 or Bubba's shot on the 10th in 2012 in the playoff. Now those are shots that very few players could have pulled off!

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Deary me, you Tiger fanboys really need to take your blinkers off! It was a straightforward chip that any player in the field would have got close due to the contours of the green.

You want a great shot under pressure? Try Gene Sarazon's albatross on the 15th in 1935 or Mickelson's shot out the trees on 13th in 2010 or Bubba's shot on the 10th in 2012 in the playoff. Now those are shots that very few players could have pulled off!

I didn't realise you were only allowed to deem a certain number of shots as 'great'

D

Deleted member 1147

Cory Pavin, 4 wood, 18th hole at Shinnecock Hills 1995, followed by Faldo's long iron into 13 in 1996 Masters was the best for me

U

User62651

Cory Pavin, 4 wood, 18th hole at Shinnecock Hills 1995, followed by Faldo's long iron into 13 in 1996 Masters was the best for me

There are hundreds of technically better golf shots but for greatness you need context, drama and crowd excitment thrown in, none have the drama or excitement of that chip, sorry.

I'm far from Tigers greatest fan but recognise he is the best golfer and that was a moment in time shot. It's an absolute stand out golf shot that even non golfers remember. Stuff of legend.;)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site

tiger fans seem to be a special breed. no matter what he does or how he plays he still farts rainbows and given the chance they'd mount him like a dog