Tiger Woods Return To The Tour

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
tiger is done. people that say he needs to get match fit are laughable. even if the old tiger was on display i think he would still struggle. golf has moved on and golfers are better today than ever.

Drivel.

Great drive down 9 for Tiger. Frustrating, he's driven the ball really well, it's been everything else letting him down, basically the polar opposite of last week. He's obviously worked really hard getting his driving ready and perhaps neglected the other parts of his game. Scorecard doesn't look pretty, but has been some good stuff today. If his putter was as hot as it was on the first day last week he'd be under par today.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Genuine, non-Anti Tiger question..
How long until he is Tournament fit..?
Ok, he's been out for 15 months, not played much before that but he's been back hitting balls for a while now.
Played 4 rounds back end of last year and will have been practicing since.
Two rounds last week, plus practice rounds and, I imagine, plenty of range work too...
He's currently +4 and apparently walking a bit gingerly.......

Commentators discussed it earlier and said 2 years, he hadn't got 2 years in him at this rate.

The chunk to 100yd pin with 70yd carry to get wet speaks volumes.

D

Deleted member 15344

No chance.

No one has come close to Tiger at his peak.

It's a very hard thing to quantify because the sport evolves - when Woods was at his peak he was driving it further than anyone else , his short game was better than anyone and his mental strength was unbreakable but was he surrounded by as many great golfers as we see now

When Woods started a major he was clear favourite everytime and the competition around him wasn't a great amount - Els , Singh and Micklson were the main three but none were consistent

Now whenever a major starts there is prob a group of 10 maybe more that you could see winning it - the competition is so much stronger

If you have McIlroy and Woods at their peak of their game it would be very hard to say who would win

But now Woods isn't in that group you would see challenging for a major - and I don't think that will change anytime - he can't hit it as far , he can't hit fairway after fairway and his short game isn't solid - he is now at this moment just a regular Tour Pro in terms of play. And I don't see that changing tbh - the competition is far too great now

Last edited by a moderator:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
No chance.

No one has come close to Tiger at his peak.

that's right, no one was as good as Tiger at his peak. but the golfers of today are alot different to golfers 10 years ago. if tiger had to play against today's golfers back then he still would have won alot but he wouldn't have dominated

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Commentators discussed it earlier and said 2 years, he hadn't got 2 years in him at this rate.

The chunk to 100yd pin with 70yd carry to get wet speaks volumes.

Not really accurate. More like an 85 yard carry to get over the water. 2 yards further and he'd have been fine, 8-10 yards further and it'd have been really good; just caught the slope at the front of the green and spun back into the water. Was a poor shot, as he should have gone long like Fitzpatrick and Willett did from the same position before him, but these shots can happen when you've not played a lot of golf. Wasn't THAT bad though.

Same old story on 9 for Tiger today. Good drive, decent iron, poor putt, par. Would have made 6 or 7 birdies if he'd putted like he did on Thursday at Torrey.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Drivel.

Great drive down 9 for Tiger. Frustrating, he's driven the ball really well, it's been everything else letting him down, basically the polar opposite of last week. He's obviously worked really hard getting his driving ready and perhaps neglected the other parts of his game. Scorecard doesn't look pretty, but has been some good stuff today. If his putter was as hot as it was on the first day last week he'd be under par today.

a great drive??? that's one. are you actually watching him at the moment?. he's hacking it.

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
tiger is done. people that say he needs to get match fit are laughable. even if the old tiger was on display i think he would still struggle. golf has moved on and golfers are better today than ever.

Don't be fooled, he is not passed it by any means!!! HE WILL BE BACK!
In that man is a golfer everyone else is still scared an in awe of, including Day, Johnson etc.

Remember the young Justin Rose missing 21 cuts in a row...? Look at him now.
Stenson went through a serious slump - as have many others. Darren Clarke etc.

Don't forget the numerous examples of "past-it" golfers who have won, including Majors etc.
Think Jack won Masters at 46? Then there's the amazing Tom Watson story etc. etc.
Stricker tied 4th in the Open last year aged 48?

Some of those albeit great/fantastic players were never in the league as Tiger at their peak.
It's true he needs to get his game up a level, they say his ball flight too low currently.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really accurate. More like an 85 yard carry to get over the water. 2 yards further and he'd have been fine, 8-10 yards further and it'd have been really good; just caught the slope at the front of the green and spun back into the water. Was a poor shot, as he should have gone long like Fitzpatrick and Willett did from the same position before him, but these shots can happen when you've not played a lot of golf. Wasn't THAT bad though.

Same old story on 9 for Tiger today. Good drive, decent iron, poor putt, par. Would have made 6 or 7 birdies if he'd putted like he did on Thursday at Torrey.

you just seem to find any excuse possible to justify why he's playing bad.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's a very hard thing to quantify because the sport evolves - when Woods was at his peak he was driving it further than anyone else , his short game was better than anyone and his mental strength was unbreakable but was he surrounded by as many great golfers as we see now

When Woods started a major he was clear favourite everytime and the competition around him wasn't a great amount - Els , Singh and Micklson were the main three but none were consistent

Now whenever a major starts there is prob a group of 10 maybe more that you could see winning it - the competition is so much stronger

If you have McIlroy and Woods at their peak of their game it would be very hard to say who would win

But now Woods isn't in that group you would see challenging for a major - and I don't think that will change anytime - he can't hit it as far , he can't hit fairway after fairway and his short game isn't solid - he is now at this moment just a regular Tour Pro in terms of play. And I don't see that changing tbh - the competition is far too great now

i could have wrote this

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
I felt really bad for Day and Johnson being paired with Woods at Torrey Pines. They are top 5 players in the world playing in a group with the world number 700 (or whatever Tiger is currently ranked). That isn't right.

Just seen that Tiger is ranked 666 in the world! If that's not an Omen, I don't know what is.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
a great drive??? that's one. are you actually watching him at the moment?. he's hacking it.

Am I watching him? Yeah, I've been up since half 4 watching him, have you?

He didn't play well, he shot +5 but it wasn't all bad. He drove the ball very well today (after the 1st) and especially on his back nine. His iron play was pretty average, his proximity to hole won't have been good, but he lost a lot of shots with the putter. Missed 2 three-footers for par, 3 putted from the edge of the 12th green and then must have missed at least 4 or 5 makeable birdie putts. Hopefully he'll come back tomorrow with a hot putter and make some birdies. Doubt he'll make the cut, but an under-par round would at least give him some confidence.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Don't be fooled, he is not passed it by any means!!! HE WILL BE BACK!
In that man is a golfer everyone else is still scared an in awe of, including Day, Johnson etc.

Remember the young Justin Rose missing 21 cuts in a row...? Look at him now.
Stenson went through a serious slump - as have many others. Darren Clarke etc.

Don't forget the numerous examples of "past-it" golfers who have won, including Majors etc.
Think Jack won Masters at 46? Then there's the amazing Tom Watson story etc. etc.
Stricker tied 4th in the Open last year aged 48?

Some of those albeit great/fantastic players were never in the league as Tiger at their peak.
It's true he needs to get his game up a level, they say his ball flight too low currently.

Nobody is scared or in awe of Tiger currently, your a deluded fanboy!

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

I do kind of agree with this, but i think that Woods played at his peak far more often and that is the significant difference.

In regards to his competition and how good they were, i think the fact woods was dominant makes them appear worse. Woods is polarising and so even if (he wont) beat Nicklaus record as well as sneads detractors would still claim he wasnt as good.

He was imo a game changer for the world of golf, there are players now who got into the game because of him so for all his fault, his lasting effect ion golf is positive imo.

I'd love to see him improve, but if after 3/4 months he's still where he is now i'd hope he retires knowing his body just isn't up to it.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Am I watching him? Yeah, I've been up since half 4 watching him, have you?

He didn't play well, he shot +5 but it wasn't all bad. He drove the ball very well today (after the 1st) and especially on his back nine. His iron play was pretty average, his proximity to hole won't have been good, but he lost a lot of shots with the putter. Missed 2 three-footers for par, 3 putted from the edge of the 12th green and then must have missed at least 4 or 5 makeable birdie putts. Hopefully he'll come back tomorrow with a hot putter and make some birdies. Doubt he'll make the cut, but an under-par round would at least give him some confidence.

no, i dont have a tiger crush like you so i sky plussed it. there's no photos on a scorecard so you can come up with all the excuses you like about why he's plus five and they don't wash. the golfers who are 2 under could tell you why they wasnt 10 under using the same excuses as tiger

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
Nobody is scared or in awe of Tiger currently, your a deluded fanboy!

Actually not particularly a fan. I think he's a bit of a ar$e.
You are of course entitled to your opinion.
But 6 years ago I said a similar thing about Andy Murray to someone who had the same kind of attitude you are currently displaying.
Think Murray kind of proved my point rather well.

We shall see in due course shall we...

Fish

Banned
Visit site
But 6 years ago I said a similar thing about Andy Murray to someone who had the same kind of attitude you are currently displaying.

Murray has youth, to a degree, on his side, Tiger has........:mmm:

He's a spent force.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
no, i dont have a tiger crush like you so i sky plussed it. there's no photos on a scorecard so you can come up with all the excuses you like about why he's plus five and they don't wash. the golfers who are 2 under could tell you why they wasnt 10 under using the same excuses as tiger

They're not excuses, just my analysis of his round. If you don't agree that's fine, but there's no need to be an arse about it. Why the attitude?

D

Deleted member 15344

Can you really compare the two ?

Murray was still in the peak years of his career and hadn't had two years out with injuries a number of times and wasn't in his 40's and Murray was still winning comps regularly

Woods is in the later years of his career been playing for two decades now at the height but has suffered with lots of injures over the last 6 years and is now in his 40's

Two totally different stages in their respective careers

Tour players aren't in awe or scared of Woods anymore - that stopped a long time ago

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
Murray has youth, to a degree, on his side, Tiger has........:mmm:

He's a spent force.

So all golfers over a certain age are a spent force are they? What age is that then?
I mean, TW is 41. Stenson is 40.
Just checked Clarke was about 42 when he won his only Open.
I give up - I bow to your superior knowledge on this subject. I don't know Jack.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
They're not excuses, just my analysis of his round. If you don't agree that's fine, but there's no need to be an arse about it. Why the attitude?

not being an arse. i dont get my knickers in a twist when people talk about my rory crush. you clearly cant and wont accept what the vast majority of people disagree with you and only die hard tigers fans try to hold on with dear life to his legacy. he's a spent force. maybe he will win again but he definitely wont dominate again