Tiger Woods Return To The Tour

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing I was trying to see was his driver.. I swear on day two got a quick look and it was the original M2.. wondered if he had changed the bag after the new one didnt fly the way he wanted in day 1

He didnt do that bad.. Fowler, Day and DJ all missed the cut aswell he wasnt far off DJs score

Would have thrown himself into this one knowing it was tough one

He will win an event this season im sure.. wont be a major tho

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
He did improve for his second round but still looks like a guy who will struggle to make the cut everytime he tee's it up.My question is why is TW so worn out at 41?,he looked like an old man coming to the end of his round,could his body actually of handled 4 days golf?
Many of golfs elite were fit and competitive well into their 40's Nicklaus,Norman,Monty,Watson, etc but TW looks done.

U

User62651

Shame he didn't make the cut just to get the mileage of 4 consecutive competitive rounds in his body which is what he needs. Early days but he's moving forwards it seems at least. Hope he can get where he needs to get, has definitely mellowed in his attitude and soundbites, think even he acknowledges in himself now he's not near the best anymore and he needs to enjoy what time he has left in PGA tour golf.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think what annoys me about the whole thing is that almost all the coverage on news reports is about Tiger missing the cut.
Virtually nothing about anyone else including the leaders....
It should be the other way round.
It's not like he missed the cut by a shot and was unlucky - in reality he was nowhere near.
I appreciate that Tiger pits bums on seats but the times they are a changing.
And another thing - how can anyone look at Tiger's performance over the two days and summise that he's definitely going to win this year..?
He showed nothing to make you think that.
That's not to say he won't, but he hasn't shown anything yet.
People need to be realistic.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I think what annoys me about the whole thing is that almost all the coverage on news reports is about Tiger missing the cut.
Virtually nothing about anyone else including the leaders....
It should be the other way round.
It's not like he missed the cut by a shot and was unlucky - in reality he was nowhere near.
I appreciate that Tiger pits bums on seats but the times they are a changing.
And another thing - how can anyone look at Tiger's performance over the two days and summise that he's definitely going to win this year..?
He showed nothing to make you think that.
That's not to say he won't, but he hasn't shown anything yet.
People need to be realistic.

Yeah he really is a mile off actually being in contention on a Sunday.

Yes Dj & Day missed the cut,but that's just a bad week for them & will still be favourites next week if they play.

Tiger will do well to get a top 10 this year imo.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
He did improve for his second round but still looks like a guy who will struggle to make the cut everytime he tee's it up.My question is why is TW so worn out at 41?,he looked like an old man coming to the end of his round,could his body actually of handled 4 days golf?
Many of golfs elite were fit and competitive well into their 40's Nicklaus,Norman,Monty,Watson, etc but TW looks done.

You are aware he hasn't played for 18 months right?

D

Deleted member 3432

I was under the impression he played all 4 rounds of a no cut event a few weeks ago!

Regardless of this he is miles away from getting involved in the business end of a tournament on Sunday afternoon.

It will be interesting to see how his game develops as the season goes on but to become competitive he has to play regularly and i'm not sure if his body is going to allow this.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Monty fit? never

If you look back on the players that won majors supposedly well past their best Tiger has a very good chance.

If people believe he will win again on the PGA tour he has to have a chance in the majors as its basically the same world ranking players.

Whilst I agree he looks a long way off he will only get better,his 2nd round faiway wise was so much better than his opening round.

If he can use his brain and actually stop trying to thrash the hell out of it and hit fairways he can be competitive,a lot shorter hitters than Tiger have won majors.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Monty fit? never

Monty was very competitive well into his 40's and on the US seniors tour into his 50's,weight issues sometimes yes but he hit the gym when he had to and was always match fit and as for Tiger winning a major again hilarious,like I said before the worlds best have moved on without him and he knows it.

Last edited:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Monty was very competitive well into his 40's and on the US seniors tour into his 50's,weight issues sometimes yes but he hit the gym when he had to and was always match fit and as for Tiger winning a major again hilarious,like I said before the worlds best have moved on without him and he knows it.

I'm not saying he will win a major but the worlds best don't always win the majors so you can't really write him off. First though, he has to get through the next 4 weeks without further injury. If he can stay fit I agree with Pokerjoke in that he will win again on tour and if he can win on tour, he could win a major, there are worse players than him who have won one.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was under the impression he played all 4 rounds of a no cut event a few weeks ago!

Regardless of this he is miles away from getting involved in the business end of a tournament on Sunday afternoon.

It will be interesting to see how his game develops as the season goes on but to become competitive he has to play regularly and i'm not sure if his body is going to allow this.

That was more of an end of season Jolly than a tour event but my point is, you can hardly say he looks like missing the cut every time he tees it up when he's barely played in a year and a half. If there's no improvement in 6 months, then you'd have a point

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Yes but we have been here before with a comeback that never happened and believe me TW has practised and played a lot of golf in the last 18 months and even he said he was ready,like I said before i'm a big fan of Woods but he simply hasnt got the game he once had.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not good today. Been watching since the 2nd and he's actually played alright. Hitting it well off the tee in the main, irons have been okay and he's been hitting greens but his putting has been worse than I've ever seen it. The first putt from off the green at 12 was awful, but not as bad as the one he just hit at 3 which was, as the commentators agreed, the worst putt they'd ever seen him hit. The 100 yard chunk into the water was bad as well, a bogey from a great position. Some promising stuff, but can tell he's hardly played recently, very scrappy.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Genuine, non-Anti Tiger question..
How long until he is Tournament fit..?
Ok, he's been out for 15 months, not played much before that but he's been back hitting balls for a while now.
Played 4 rounds back end of last year and will have been practicing since.
Two rounds last week, plus practice rounds and, I imagine, plenty of range work too...
He's currently +4 and apparently walking a bit gingerly.......

D

Deleted member 3432

Only 2 of the field behind him with 3 to play.

Looking like another weekend off.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
tiger is done. people that say he needs to get match fit are laughable. even if the old tiger was on display i think he would still struggle. golf has moved on and golfers are better today than ever.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's less than 5 months difference between Stenson and Woods, Tiger looks barely a shadow of himself and ready for retirement while Stenson looks to be in the absolute prime of his golfing life and a favourite for majors for the next couple of years at least!

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I felt really bad for Day and Johnson being paired with Woods at Torrey Pines. They are top 5 players in the world playing in a group with the world number 700 (or whatever Tiger is currently ranked). That isn't right.