Tiger Woods Return To The Tour

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd imagine he'll of gone straight to the range after yesterday's round trying to work out the issues off the tee, considering the amount of missed fairways and the depth of the rough his score could've been a hell of a lot more embarrassing than +4.

I'd image the Gameplan will change today. I think he'll make the cut.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'd imagine he'll of gone straight to the range after yesterday's round trying to work out the issues off the tee, considering the amount of missed fairways and the depth of the rough his score could've been a hell of a lot more embarrassing than +4.

I'd image the Gameplan will change today. I think he'll make the cut.

He's been back hitting balls for weeks now, surely he should have sorted out basic things like this long before going out on the course? :eek:

U

User62651

If he is to do well, he's going have to sort out his driving. He only hit 4 fairways on the front 9 and none on the back 9.
What I don't understand is, with all his experience, why did he not switch to the 3 wood on the back 9 when it became obvious his driver wasn't working.
You have to be pretty stupid to keep hitting the driver when it's costing you bogeys
Or maybe that's it, he is just stupid?

Does make you wonder, he's also saying his new 3 wood is the longest he's ever hit 3 wood so why not use it, no brainer to leave the driver in bag, first thing most golfers would do if you can't hit it that day. Do you think it could be a sponsors thing? - i.e. he has to be seen hitting a particular new driver to push sales to the public? If it was that it'd be a very sad day that a player would forsake a score just to satisfy a sponsor, for huge bucks obviously. Hopefully not the case :mad:

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does make you wonder, he's also saying his new 3 wood is the longest he's ever hit 3 wood so why not use it, no brainer to leave the driver in bag, first thing most golfers would do if you can't hit it that day. Do you think it could be a sponsors thing? - i.e. he has to be seen hitting a particular new driver to push sales to the public? If it was that it'd be a very sad day that a player would forsake a score just to satisfy a sponsor, for huge bucks obviously. Hopefully not the case :mad:

He tried to hit 3-wood on a couple of tees lat night and it wasn't going any better. A pull-draw three-wood started his bogey run yesterday.

The course is incredibly long too, well over 7000 yards, so unless he wants to end up leaving 200+ into every green, he has to at least try and hit driver. When he got it away he was getting good distance out of it, he just didn't hit enough fairways and I doubt it would have been any better with the 3-wood. Hopefully after a bit of work on the range he'll be much tighter today but he's facing a real uphill battle to make the cut!

mikeb4

Head Pro
Visit site
in my experience not intentionally i have a different mind set in a bounce game to a medal, i am more nervous (though more of an adrenaline rush) in a medal and i dont like going up .1, (who does) though i try to stick to the same routine for each shot, i do notice that in a bounce game for example i dont take so much time in reading the putt, my handicap has dropped in 5 years from 20-6 therefore in a medal i do put pressure on myself to reach cat 1. which obvs i dont have in a bounce game.

Also in a bounce game we have "gimmes"
imo its just so different, however if i play my mates for money then i do go into "medal zone"
Hope this clarifies why i think its different.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
He's been back hitting balls for weeks now, surely he should have sorted out basic things like this long before going out on the course? :eek:

No doubt he's been pounding balls for weeks, He's just turned up on the day with a dicky swing, Its something I suffer from also on the odd occasion ;)

A few tweaks here and there and he'll be rolling birdies in and fist pumping all over the place!

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
On the positive side, his short game yesterday was superb, could have been MUCH worse if his putting and chipping wasn't so good. That bunker shot on 3(?) was brililiant.

Raesy92

Assistant Pro
Visit site
He was also playing the tougher of the two course yesterday, think Day and DJ were also both over par for their rounds.

Wind has to pick up today so could be a few big scores from those to play the south course and maybe Tiger can get a decent round and make the cut. If not at least he has had some tournament experience and will be playing another 3 events out of the next 4.

D

Deleted Member 1156

in my experience not intentionally i have a different mind set in a bounce game to a medal, i am more nervous (though more of an adrenaline rush) in a medal and i dont like going up .1, (who does) though i try to stick to the same routine for each shot, i do notice that in a bounce game for example i dont take so much time in reading the putt, my handicap has dropped in 5 years from 20-6 therefore in a medal i do put pressure on myself to reach cat 1. which obvs i dont have in a bounce game.

Also in a bounce game we have "gimmes"
imo its just so different, however if i play my mates for money then i do go into "medal zone"
Hope this clarifies why i think its different.

It is probably different for us but I don't think for one minute that a tour pro stands over the ball in a tournament with a 'bounce game' mentality in his head. Woods would certainly have been giving 100% over every shot, it's in his nature.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Simply he just didn't hit enough fairways and was hacking out of the rough far too often.

Today is a different day and I expect a decent round or a lower score at least.

I'm sure he kept going with the driver due to his new deal with TM otherwise he might as well thrown it in the lake,i certainly feel his pain with the driver.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Simply he just didn't hit enough fairways and was hacking out of the rough far too often.

Today is a different day and I expect a decent round or a lower score at least.

I'm sure he kept going with the driver due to his new deal with TM otherwise he might as well thrown it in the lake,i certainly feel his pain with the driver.

Exactly right. You can't play that course from the rough and he said himself he was battling for a score all day. It was a tough place to make his comeback but at the end of the day it's all about staying fit and getting back into tournament mentality.

From what I saw his short game and putting didn't look too bad but I didn't see every hole so could be wrong?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
His short game and putting was excellent, but there's only so much you can do at Torrey relying on chipping and putting all-day. Could easily have been 7 or 8 over though, played some superb chips and pitches.

D

Deleted member 1147

The South course at Torrey Pines in a notoriously tough course (all those who scored worse than Tiger were on that course as well). So it was difficult enough to begin with, then he couldn't hit a fairway, making the difficult damn near impossible. It was pretty much to be expected that he would find it hard going, and it proved to be. hopefully on the easier North course, he can get a bit of confidence and sneak past the cut mark. But if he doesn't it isn't the end of the world, as he gets into any tournament he wants to play in, and will have plenty of time to get back to something like competitive. Plus, the Masters is one tournament where being bad off the tee isn't the end of the world, and I'm sure competing in that will be his main aim.

D

Deleted member 15344

he can't keep it in the fairway , even then from the fairway he couldn't find a green - no chance of making the cut imo and watching yesterday don't see him making one any time soon let alone challenging the top guys. It was a shame to see him so poor - he did well to not be dead last with a few scrambles

U

User62651

Yep, better 200+ yards out but on the fairway by using 3 wood off tee than in the deep stuff with driver. 200 yds is only 6 iron for TW.