Tiger - Plenty of work to do

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thing is all the time it is LAST YEAR. Did not contend in the two Majors THIS YEAR that he played in and we none of us can successfully fight Old Father Time.

Whatever the sport there comes a time when the greats have to accept that their time has passed. Each injury and recovery period generally only serves to hasten this process.

The Open was his second tournament after back surgery, the PGA he was clearly injured - did you really expect him to challenge.

The point people seem to be missing is that you don't need To be contending regularly in majors to win a major, here are some results from recent major winners for the four majors before they won;

Ernie: Cut, Cut, Didn't qualify, 9th
Rose: T21, Cut, 3rd, T25
Bubba: T50, T32, T32, Cut
Mickleson: Cut, T56, T34, T2
Kaymer: T59, T32, T33, T31
Dufner: T27, T20, 4th, T26
McIlroy: Cut, T8, T8, T23
Scott: T8, T15, 2nd, T11

Winners of Majors rarely contend consistently before they win so what Tiger did this year while injured or coming back from injury is irrelevent.

What is relevent is his injuries. He may not win another but if he can get back to fitness, I still haven't read a logical reason how anyone could categorically write him off.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Last year he was awful needed to make some changes and allow the body to heal.

If he gets back to 2013 form Id back him to win at least one more. A lot of the players Id pick over him haven't won a major either it's an obstacle they would need to overcome also.

If his form was that good in 2013, why didn't he win one then?

D

Deleted member 18588

Winners of Majors rarely contend consistently before they win so what Tiger did this year while injured or coming back from injury is irrelevent.

What is relevent is his injuries. He may not win another but if he can get back to fitness, I still haven't read a logical reason how anyone could categorically write him off.

Well I have not written him off. What I have said is that due to his age and, most importantly, his fitness issues the odds are stacked against him.

To suggest his performances in The Open and USPGA were irrelevant is disingenuous at best.

They are entirely relevant as they highlight the difficulties he faces.

Any top sportsman in the latter stages of his career has to accept these problems and the severity and nature of his injuries only make "fighting against the fading of the light" harder for Tiger.

It appears that, on this forum, if I am not a Tiger fan I must be a Tiger hater and that has coloured my remarks, this not true but it would seem that now might be the right time for some of the Tiger fans to face up to the reality of his position.

OldMate

Head Pro
Visit site
If his form was that good in 2013, why didn't he win one then?

Countless players have had years like Tiger's 2013 and not won a major. He still finished top 6 in two of them. Not winning a major is hardly an argument against the fact that he had a good year.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Countless players have had years like Tiger's 2013 and not won a major. He still finished top 6 in two of them. Not winning a major is hardly an argument against the fact that he had a good year.

You miss my point or misinterprete my post. It was suggested if he gets back to the form of 2013 he'll definitely win a major, I merely asked why if his form was that good then why didn't he win one in 2013.

Soft hands

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You miss my point or misinterprete my post. It was suggested if he gets back to the form of 2013 he'll definitely win a major, I merely asked why if his form was that good then why didn't he win one in 2013.

I said he would definitely win one as people were saying he would definitely not.

None of us no for sure,but if he regains that form of 2013 he has as good a chance as most.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Tiger finally showing signs of getting it back together a bit. Some nice solid shots, an up and down, decent par putt and now some birdies. Would be good if he could shoot a number in the 60's to finish

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
just watch a clip of Tiger duffing chip after chip , it is not good , I was a guy who could get it up and down from anyway and lost it and i was duffing chips like that and it gets into your head and then your hands after a bit and it is hard to get it back , took me a long time and and it much better now . also saw them giving odds of him winning a major again , cockoo land these guys are in

Tiger Woods

Medal Winner
Visit site
Even in 2013 when Woods was back at No1 he still didn't challenge for a major

Those players won a major because they got 4 rounds in a major in - Woods hasn't done that since 2008 and there isn't much to point towards him doing it

Overall the viewing of golf is better without Woods , the game has moved on now and can stand on its own without Woods.

Woods is now part of the sport instead of being the sport.

He achieved great things but it's now past his time.

Heres one for the local expert...

imagen.aspx.jpegRory-McIlroy-Celebrates-during-the-TOUR-Championship.jpg

Screen-Shot-2018-09-24-at-11.22.21-630x420.png

1038818462.jpg

D

Deleted member 15344

Some people are looking very foolish today :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Why ? Because they thought a guy who could hardly walk without pain would struggle to win again ?

I suspect most of the golfing world thought the same including himself when he doubted he would even ever play on tour again but his self determination got him back in again

People don’t look foolish on opinions four years plus ago - still got a long to go yet

People could go through the forum searching for plenty of posts that have turned out to not be true but then they aren’t that pathetic to do that - well most people aren’t

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site