Tiger - Plenty of work to do

D

Deleted member 15344

Both Rose and Kaymer won majors and Stenson Fed Ex

Those players are getting it done when it matters - they are up there challenging for Majors - Woods last challenged in 2008

Soft hands

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When was the last year he challenged for a major? He hasn't for ages and with swing changes, injury and the quality of world golf it's getting harder to do so which is why I simply don't think he'll win another. He'll win on tour but is that being a major force? Many players win over the course of a season. If he was to come out and win the FedEx and be the most consistent player over the year then maybe but I don't even think that'll happen

Which is exactly what he did in his last healthy season.

Multiple winner inc. Players Championship,PGA player of the year and 2nd in FedEx.

That must be classed as major player or Rory is the only major player in World golf.

D

Deleted member 15344

Which is exactly what he did in his last healthy season.

Multiple winner inc. Players Championship,PGA player of the year and 2nd in FedEx.

That must be classed as major player or Rory is the only major player in World golf.

But he didn't challenge in a major. Jimmy Walker won three times this year - would you call him a "major force"

Soft hands

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Both Rose and Kaymer won majors and Stenson Fed Ex

Those players are getting it done when it matters - they are up there challenging for Majors - Woods last challenged in 2008

You missed my point you said Rose and Stenson or major players right now.

So what is the difference between them now and Woods' 2013 when apparently he wasn't a major player in the game?

D

Deleted member 15344

You missed my point you said Rose and Stenson or major players right now.

So what is the difference between them now and Woods' 2013 when apparently he wasn't a major player in the game?

I said that they were a major force in the game right now - because they challenge in the majors and the WGC and step when needed

Woods hasn't chsllenged for a major since 2008 - even when in 2013 he won 4 or 5 comps he still didn't challenge in the majors.

Soft hands

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I said that they were a major force in the game right now - because they challenge in the majors and the WGC and step when needed

Woods hasn't chsllenged for a major since 2008 - even when in 2013 he won 4 or 5 comps he still didn't challenge in the majors.

Im just saying their seasons this year and his then are not dissimilar. I can only remember Rose having a realistic chance of major this year US open I may be wrong though.

In 2013 Woods won the Players' IMO getting back to that level would make him a major force. We never going to agree anyway and neither of us can state for fact either way.

D

Deleted member 15344

Again he hasnt challenged for a major in 6 years

That's 24 majors have gone by and not once did he realistically challenge in any

In 2013 Rose won the U.S. Open

The Players is an overhyped PGA Tour event

Until something happens to point towards Woods challenging for Majors again he will not be a major force in the game

Soft hands

Assistant Pro
Visit site

That's 24 majors have gone by and not once did he realistically challenge in any

Until something happens to point towards Woods challenging for Majors again he will not be a major force in the game

And again if challenging is good enough Fowler is a major force in your eyes even though he doesn't win any events.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
unless his injury problems continue.

And this is what I see as Tiger's biggest challenge - staying fit.
He's had so many injuries and set backs, some pretty serious. Once you have a dodgy back you have a dodgy back. As he gets older it will be harder to keep the back from going again.
If he can stay fit then he will probably win again, PGA, WGC and even a Major.
But that's a big "IF"....and I don't see it happening.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

Twisting the facts to suit your conceit, I'm afraid.

He's had nine top tens in majors since he last won one - two top ten finishes in 2013.

The players is widely acknowledged as an "unofficial 5th Major" - it's more than an ordinary tour event.

D

Deleted member 15344

Twisting the facts to suit your conceit, I'm afraid.

He's had nine top tens in majors since he last won one - two top ten finishes in 2013.

The players is widely acknowledged as an "unofficial 5th Major" - it's more than an ordinary tour event.

Having a top ten finish doesn't mean he challenged to actually win it

Unless you can point to a major where he actually challenged to win it ?

And the players is widely acknowledged by the PGA at the "5th major" because they hype that way - doesn't mean it is. Believe McIlroy has given it a miss in recent years - plus a few other players as you need a PGA tour card to enter - so over hyped PGA event.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Right now Fowler is becoming a major force in golf -

I rate Fowler but your argument is just perverse. You dismiss Tiger's performance in 2013 (the last season he was mostly fit - he still had an injury break) and yet herald Fowler.

In 2013 Tiger won 5 times, including two WGCs and the players and was top ten in two of the majors. Rickie doesn't even compare to that.

I'm no Tiger fan but you are talking a load of nonsense on this subject. Take the blinkers off.

D

Deleted member 15344

I rate Fowler but your argument is just perverse. You dismiss Tiger's performance in 2013 (the last season he was mostly fit - he still had an injury break) and yet herald Fowler.

In 2013 Tiger won 5 times, including two WGCs and the players and was top ten in two of the majors. Rickie doesn't even compare to that.

I'm no Tiger fan but you are talking a load of nonsense on this subject. Take the blinkers off.

I said Fowler is "becoming" a major force as witnessed by his consistent performances in the majors this year - emphasis on the "becoming"

Woods had a great season in 2013 on the PGA Tour - not one person has denied that

Again Woods didn't "challenge" in any of the majors - coming in the top ten doesn't automatically mean challenge

In 2013 in the Masters he was never near challenging same with in the Open ( his top ten places in major in 2013 )

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Fowler is indeed flattering to deceive with his progress, yet lack of real magic! He does have the advantage of time over Woods, but there are plenty of young guns moving up a lot faster than either!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
In 2013 in the Masters he was never near challenging same with in the Open ( his top ten places in major in 2013 )

Easy to say but only one outrageous piece of bad luck kept him out of the playoff. (And then an equally outrageous piece of good luck stopped him being DQ'd; but that's a whole other thread)