Tiger - Plenty of work to do

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
After Bubba won his first Masters, his Major results were CUT, T23, T11, T50, T32, T32, CUT, and he followed up his 2nd win with CUT, CUT, T64. Think Bubba will win another one? His results suggest not. Predicting major winners is impossible, and just because Tiger failed to win one in 2013, and hasn't won one since 2008 means nothing. If he's fit, he's still one of the best players in the world, as he proved last year, and he could definitely win another major. Not saying he definitely will, but ruling him out seems ridiculous to me. Especially when you consider that since 2008 he's had 9 Top 10's in Majors, two of them last year.

D

Deleted member 15344

Bubba can smash 350 with regularity - his distance alone instantly puts him amongst the challengers

Out of those top 10's how many times did he actually challenge to win it ?

There is no part of Woods game that sets him apart from everyone else now - he is one of the best of the rest.

Woods used to reign supreme - he had the edge before the comp even started - Rory has that edge now.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
His short game AND his putting were what made the difference. While he's chipping like me (and Lee) he has no chance.

But aside from that, I can't help thinking that until he accepts that he has to play 'old man golf' he is just fooling himself. Nothing he says about his swing and aspirations suggests that he's got his head around it yet. Hit fairways and greens and rely on cunning and short game. Might not beat Rory if he's playing his best (but who can) but gives him a chance in the 75% of tournaments when Rory's A game goes awol.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Everyone seems very quick to write him off after a particularly poor 1st round in his 1st tournament back!

While I definitely think he's now merely 'one of those who could win if he gets in contention' rather than a 'favourite', I wouldn't be so quick to write him off. His first target is to get through a tournament without injury. Swing looks a lot smoother than a year or more ago - except for those chipping duffs!

Agree that he seems a little lost putting as well, but that's also to be expected imo.

Let's see how he plays for the rest of the tournament and the next couple!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Looking better but still over par and still throwing in some wild shots. If his fitness is anywhere near 100% then no doubt he'll be a draw on the PGA tour but I still think others have moved on and so in the majors I still don't see him being a force. Just my opinion. I'm not actually a Tiger hater and think what he did for the game (forget the other crap) was what it needed at that time and he was the best of a generation

D

Deleted member 15344

Finished with a 2 under 70

He doesn't look very comfortable walking - looks like he is walking on eggs shells ?

Great round from Rose and Stenson doing well also

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great piece from Holmes on the chipping technique from Woods round yesterday and some basic flaws. Very strange why there isn't any hinge set on a pitch and the arms broke down and he was peaking early

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great piece from Holmes on the chipping technique from Woods round yesterday and some basic flaws. Very strange why there isn't any hinge set on a pitch and the arms broke down and he was peaking early

Without seeing the piece, I'd wager the cause of Tiger's chipping woes is because he's using his new swing takeaway (later hinging) on his chips.

Also mentioned on the early commentary that TW has a mild fever?

D

Deleted member 15344

Without seeing the piece, I'd wager the cause of Tiger's chipping woes is because he's using his new swing takeaway (later hinging) on his chips.

So that's why he looked very tentative

Ads749r

Head Pro
Visit site

Crikey a mild fever causing him to duff his chips, I better get the doctors then as I must of had a fever for years :) haha

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

I missed the bit where he stated WHY he had changed his chipping technique! Or at least how his full-swing change (less dipping) was affecting the chipping one. A before/after view of Tiger would have been a much better way of showing the difference imo.

Seems to me that he may be caught between old and new techniques on his 'flubs' as he lifts out of the shot as if expecting to fat it - and duly does!

Certainly seemed a little more comfortable on Greens than on the 1st day.

I wonder if Zach Johnson is going to regret dropping 2 shots from rushing! :rolleyes:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yes I liked the piece.
He explained it so simply and you could see exactly why he duffed the chip.
Of course he will eradicate it completely in time and overall his game looked more solid today.