Tiger - Plenty of work to do

D

Deleted member 1147

Don't forget Rocca at the Open in 1995! :) At least that was only one though...

I remember seeing him do one on the Sunday of the '93 Ryder Cup as well, 11th or 12th hole I think.

D

Deleted member 1147

Didn't Rose also duff a chip in either Turkey or Dubai?

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And only 11/18 GIR?

Looked to me as if his all round game was (understandably) extremely rusty and any sing changes he may have made are, again understandably, a long way from set.

I am sure he will improve over the coming months but it does not appear that all the work is yet done.

What about the 11/18 GIR? I don't recall saying it was a great ball striking round or indeed anything about his iron play. I mentioned that his driving looked better.

I agree with you that his all round game was rusty. But it looked really bad because of the shocking short game, without those duffed chips and shot left in the bunker he would have been around even par.

Much improvement needed, obviously, I was just drawing out that I felt there was something positive in there.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tournament rusty I agree but golf rusty? Really? It's not as if this week will be the first he's picked a club up in months. He's had a bad day yesterday big time but it's more poor technique than anything, I don't buy into this rusty lark.

D

Deleted member 18588

What about the 11/18 GIR? I don't recall saying it was a great ball striking round or indeed anything about his iron play. I mentioned that his driving looked better.

I agree with you that his all round game was rusty. But it looked really bad because of the shocking short game, without those duffed chips and shot left in the bunker he would have been around even par.

Much improvement needed, obviously, I was just drawing out that I felt there was something positive in there.

I'm not knocking the man, with his record that would be absolutely stupid.

Merely trying to give some context to his first round back when some are suggesting that he looked good when he didn't.

At his best yesterday he looked distinctly average and remember his score was eight shots worse than the average for the rest of the field.

Definitely not a Tiger hater but I do think it is far too early to judge what level he is likely to be at when match fit.

What I am certain of is that he will not dominate again in the way that he once did.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's not the first return of Tiger woods - must have been 5 now and doubt we will see anything different than in the last 6 years

He is not the stand out golfer anymore - part of the pack chasing the top 3 or 4 guys

In 2013, the last time he was fit for a decent period, he won more times than anyone else on tour, finished top of the money list and won player of the year. But then I guess that was all of a year ago so doesn't count.

You don't have to like Tiger but he proves time and time again that when he is fit he is still up there with the best in the world. He may not be the stand out player any more but all you need to win a major is 4 good days and he has as much chance as anyone of doing that.

As usual when it comes to Tiger I think too many let their dislike of him cloud the facts.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

In 2013, the last time he was fit for a decent period, he won more times than anyone else on tour, finished top of the money list and won player of the year. But then I guess that was all of a year ago so doesn't count.

You don't have to like Tiger but he proves time and time again that when he is fit he is still up their with the best in the world. He may not be the stand out player anymore but all you need to win a major is 4 good days and he has as much chance as anyone of doing that.

As usual when it comes to Tiger I think too many let their dislike of him cloud the facts.

But hasn't really challenged for a major in the last 6 and half years

So as I iniitaly said - he will win the odd tour title on the PGA possibly a WGC on his favourite courses but not a major imo - far too many golfers playing a higher consistent standard than him now in the majors.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

You don't have to like Tiger but he proves time and time again that when he is fit he is still up their with the best in the world. He may not be the stand out player anymore but all you need to win a major is 4 good days and he has as much chance as anyone of doing that.

Same could be said in reverse about Tiger lovers. The minute he is back swinging a club all we hear about is how many more majors he WILL win, we've been hearing that for years now.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But hasn't really challenged for a major in the last 6 and half years

So as I iniitaly said - he will win the odd tour title on the PGA possibly a WGC on his favourite courses but not a major imo - far too many golfers playing a higher consistent standard than him now in the majors.

In the last 3 years Jason Dufner, Phil Mickleson, Justin Rose, Webb Simpson and Ernie Els have all won majors. I wouldn't exactly class any of those as playing at a consistently high level. I'm not saying Tiger will win one but I wouldn't rule it out. Being consistent gets you to world number 1, being good for 4 days wins you a major. If Tiger can get back to fitness, he has as much chance as anyone

D

Deleted Member 1156

In the last 3 years Jason Dufner, Phil Mickleson, Justin Rose, Webb Simpson and Ernie Els have all won majors. I wouldn't exactly class any of those as playing at a consistently high level. I'm not saying Tiger will win one but I wouldn't rule it out. Being consistent gets you to world number 1, being good for 4 days wins you a major. If Tiger can get back to fitness, he has more chance than most

FTFY :thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

In the last 3 years Jason Dufner, Phil Mickleson, Justin Rose, Webb Simpson and Ernie Els have all won majors. I wouldn't exactly class any of those as playing at a consistently high level. I'm not saying Tiger will win one but I wouldn't rule it out. Being consistent gets you to world number 1, being good for 4 days wins you a major. If Tiger can get back to fitness, he has as much chance as anyone
Even in 2013 when Woods was back at No1 he still didn't challenge for a major

Those players won a major because they got 4 rounds in a major in - Woods hasn't done that since 2008 and there isn't much to point towards him doing it

Overall the viewing of golf is better without Woods , the game has moved on now and can stand on its own without Woods.

Woods is now part of the sport instead of being the sport.

He achieved great things but it's now past his time.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tiger's a winner. If his body stays strong, there's every chance he could win another major. He won 5 times last year. He had a really bad 2014, but his body was a mess most of the year. If he can stay fit, I wouldn't bet against him.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Even in 2013 when Woods was back at No1 he still didn't challenge for a major

Those players won a major because they got 4 rounds in a major in - Woods hasn't done that since 2008 and there isn't much to point towards him doing it

Overall the viewing of golf is better without Woods , the game has moved on now and can stand on its own without Woods.

Woods is now part of the sport instead of being the sport.

He achieved great things but it's now past his time.

So what you're saying is the guy who only last year was good enough to be the best player on tour is categorically not good enough to win a major. There's logic in there somewhere but I can't see it.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
A lot of golfers have been consistent, but not won a major. Four good days in a major are not easy, and have so far been beyond the likes of Westwood, Donald, Stricker, Garcia, and of course Monty.

I think he will win on the PGA tour again, and could well win the money list again, but not so sure about a major. His putting is nothing like it was when he was in his pomp, and under the ultimate pressure in a major.:mmm:

D

Deleted member 15344

So what you're saying is the guy who only last year was good enough to be the best player on tour is categorically not good enough to win a major. There's logic in there somewhere but I can't see it.

Woods last year won tournaments - tournaments where he was comfortable and won numerous times before - when it came to the majors he didn't challenge

A number have been No1 in recent years yet not go on to win a major - Westwood and Donald two examples

So whilst Woods will challenge and Prob win PGA tour events I don't think he will win a major again.

Last year he was player of the year - did he win a major ? No

Another year later ,another injury , another coach - if he couldn't win when he did win a number of PGA titles in a short space in time why will he now ?

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tiger's a winner. If his body stays strong, there's every chance he could win another major. He won 5 times last year. He had a really bad 2014, but his body was a mess most of the year. If he can stay fit, I wouldn't bet against him.

Was a winner , now he is washed up , done , past his sell by date , no way jose , he has to beat Rory , Adam Scott , Ricky Fowler , Bubba , to name a few , in other words he is not even worth a place money , he is still good for TV mind as lots of fans still want to see him do it , they still he has one last hurrah in hi , maybe he has but I still can not see him winning another major , his name and red shirt on the leader board is history

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Funny that. 12 months ago he'd just finished a season where he won 5 tournaments and came 2nd on the Fed-Ex Rankings. Sports fans can be a fickle bunch. If Tiger is truely over his injuries, he could have as good as 2015, as he had a 2013. And will be in contention for a major. People were writing Rory off until May last year.