Thrifty car hire

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We will be heading to Florida on holiday this summer and will be hiring a car. In previous year we have booked with Dollar, and whilst the cars are ultimately fine there have been some right "warmers" who have tried to deal with us on arrival. Last year the plonker tried to add on extras,including a free e pass voucher which could have cost us dearly if we had not just explained, rather bluntly, that the package we had covered everything we needed. He then barely spoke to us as he completed the registration.
Anyway, that was a little aside.

When we have been collecting the cars, the next desk is nearly always empty and is for the hire car company Thrifty. I was told they are part of the same company, but not sure.

Has anyone used the. And what was their experiences ?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 17920

Alan, is that Orlando international or Sanford? My experience of international was a complete pain compared to Sanford. I used thrifty at both and the queue was a pain, did the upgrade and wish I hadn't bothered. Never got the e pass thing offered.

Drove up to myrtle beach and then to Atlanta from Orlando and added 3000 miles in 14 days on to the car. Guy checking in couldn't believe the mileage.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are heading to International. It's just that every time we have been to Orlando International airport there has been no queue at the Thrifty desk.

I always feel they are trying to take advantage of you after a longish flight and usually a very early rise in Scotland.

D

Deleted Member 1156

One tip I've picked up when booking a car in the States......

I always book my car online over here (I use ebookers to book hotel/flight/car together as a package). I book the cheapest class of car, when you pick it up at the airport they will always try to talk you into an upgrade. They have the flexibility to offer discounts. Last year I upgraded from the cheapest car to a Mustang convertible for $8 a day.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One tip I've picked up when booking a car in the States......

I always book my car online over here (I use ebookers to book hotel/flight/car together as a package). I book the cheapest class of car, when you pick it up at the airport they will always try to talk you into an upgrade. They have the flexibility to offer discounts. Last year I upgraded from the cheapest car to a Mustang convertible for $8 a day.

If we were travelling alone I would think about that, but my in laws are going and want things all signed and sealed before we fly, and want to know exactly what car we will be picking up.