Yer dads car.

AliMc

Visit site
I had a Triumph Herald, the full front bonnet including both wings lifted forward, leaving the engine and the radiator sticking up. Easy to work on :love:
My mate had one, trouble was sometimes the bonnet catches came loose and the bonnet popped up slightly (but was kept down by aerodynamics) passenger had to lean out of side window to pop the catch back down, those were the days !

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My mate had one, trouble was sometimes the bonnet catches came loose and the bonnet popped up slightly (but was kept down by aerodynamics) passenger had to lean out of side window to pop the catch back down, those were the days !
My best mate's first car was a 2CV - with manual windscreen wiper and super-tilt (the wrong way) for cornering.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Do you remember when this was. I recall they were pretty rare at first? (See post #55)

I think it was circa 1977/ 78 when they got it, that's about when the Cortina was nicked, and we had it when we moved in 1979. Both parents worked for the same company, the company sold off ex company cars to their employees. I think it belonged to a salesmen previously, it was red and as I recall a P reg (maybe wrong), and had about 80K on the clock. I remember for sure that the green one they traded it in for was a W reg, which would have been circa 1980.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ford Thames minibus the predecessor to the Transit.
We made several multi day trips to Barcelona in it during the late 50s early 60s and brings back fond memories

Van.jpeg

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Dad's first car - Austin A40 Somerset Saloon - about 1964 (he clearly thought it worth taking a photo of - must have been an early trip out)
Austin Somerset.jpg

Last edited:

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
The earliest car i remember is a Ford Sierra Xr4. Was a rocketship but a horrible place to sit in the back, it made me seasick on the 8 mile trip to local town! Great car though! Just not for rear passengers!!

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it was circa 1977/ 78 when they got it, that's about when the Cortina was nicked, and we had it when we moved in 1979. Both parents worked for the same company, the company sold off ex company cars to their employees. I think it belonged to a salesmen previously, it was red and as I recall a P reg (maybe wrong), and had about 80K on the clock. I remember for sure that the green one they traded it in for was a W reg, which would have been circa 1980.
Ok.

Think my dad got his a bit earlier - I know he had it quite a bit before I went to Uni in 1976, so could have been 74/75. I only remember that he wasnt best pleased when my mum .was driving it & got hit by a bus just a week after he got it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The earliest car i remember is a Ford Sierra Xr4. Was a rocketship but a horrible place to sit in the back, it made me seasick on the 8 mile trip to local town! Great car though! Just not for rear passengers!!
I owned a Ford Sierra 2.3 (might have been a 2.0) Ghia - whichever - it did indeed shift...

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
My dad didn't learn to drive till he was about 40 and bought himself a little Austin A30 to learn in and take his test.
image-asset.jpeg

However, it wasn't really a car suitable for two parents and three boys aged between 6 and 18 so he sold it and bought himself a Vauxhall Victor Estate. He bought it a week before my brother was due to take his test and it was about three times the size, gear shift on the steering arm and, needless to say, my brother failed his test! :ROFLMAO:

Vauxhall_Victor_estate_registered_May_1962_1507cc.jpg

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
My dad didn't learn to drive till he was about 40 and bought himself a little Austin A30 to learn in and take his test.
image-asset.jpeg

However, it wasn't really a car suitable for two parents and three boys aged between 6 and 18 so he sold it and bought himself a Vauxhall Victor Estate. He bought it a week before my brother was due to take his test and it was about three times the size, gear shift on the steering arm and, needless to say, my brother failed his test! :ROFLMAO:

Vauxhall_Victor_estate_registered_May_1962_1507cc.jpg
What was the one we went to Workington in and had to knock on someones door to get water?