Tashyboy scammed by Goldcar Car hire

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Went to Italy (Milan) for five days and booked a car through Atlas choice. The car was third partied out to Goldcar. The cost was £65.
When we arrived at Luton airport sat morning the flight was delayed. Original pickup time for the car was 12.00 as original flight was 08.30. Flight was changed to 11.00 and on arrival at airport was changed to flippin 15.20.
arrived at Milan some six hours late. Tried ringing atlas choice and the company was closed for the day. (1810) Tried ringing Goldcar 3x and no answer. On arrival Gold car had cancelled my contract which I had paid for on 22 nd May, because we were 6 hrs late. I told them I had rang both companies with no success, I told them I had put the flight details on my booking and did they know It was late. there answer was " YES BUT IT IS NOT OUR PROBLEM".
The only way we could get a car was to pay £175. The last thing the guy said was the car is ready and perfect to drive away. Really. When we arrived at the hotel and took bags out of the car there was the biggest paintwork damage you could imagine. We took photos and were livid with ourselves. We had paid for the top insurance but we had this nagging doubt we were being scammed.
When we returned the car we mentioned the previous damage and was told " why should you be concerned it will not cost you anything as it will come out of your insurance". I said the " flippin damage was already done". They were not bothered one bit. I was seething.
I had called Santander on Monday to advice them of the possible insurance scam. Half an hour later after I had dropped off the car I received an email from atlas choice saying that they were still charging me for the car. In essence I had paid £65 on 22 nd May and £175 yesterday. I was seething. I have spoken to Santander once more and told them of the scam by Atlaschoice and Goldcar. They have started a dispute.
Ironically, Atlaschoice asked for some feedback last night.

Avoid these two companies at all costs. I write this as I have been " reminded" by a post on the Portugal golf thread.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I'd always been advised then when hiring cars in Italy always use one of the big well known car hire companies. And even then do a very thorough inspection before you put the key in the ignition and photograph every scratch and dint. You are not the 1st and certainly won't be the last to be scammed when hiring a car over there.

Damn, is that a reason for leaving the EU though? Hoisted by my own petard yet again.....

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
In Italywuth Goldcar car from Milan airport and so far very happy with it. 10k on the clock and no dings or scratches. Was very careful driving round Lake Como.

However sorry to hear about your troubles TB and hope you get it resolved .

Apart from the motorways have found the driving to be no where as bad as feared .

Tashyboy

Visit site
In Italywuth Goldcar car from Milan airport and so far very happy with it. 10k on the clock and no dings or scratches. Was very careful driving round Lake Como.

Apart from the motorways have found the driving to be no where as bad as feared .

Upside down, hope your hol is going well. Which airport did you get it from, Malpensa, Linate or Bergamo which is like London/Luton. Motorways are deffo mental.
drove in Italy X number of times but will deffo book through a main retailer in future.
The car I drove in Sicily was a fiat 500 with 7km on the clock. It took me two seconds to upgrade the insurance.
What narked me with this experience was that they knew the damage was on the car as they had tried to polish it out with polish around the plastic bumper. They already knew it was done.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

Have you driven through Naples where they literally just ignore red lights or down the Amalfi coast where the road is very windey so you can't see round corners, the local seem to want to drive at 60 mph, the road is just wide enough to fit one car down at times and people drive 2 yards from your back bumper? Never been so scared in a car in my life, never again.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was Malpense TB and lad was very helpful.
Nope up around the Lakes and the Como road was narrow and I just pulled over when it was prudent. Naples sounds horrendous

Tashyboy

Visit site
Have you driven through Naples where they literally just ignore red lights or down the Amalfi coast where the road is very windey so you can't see round corners, the local seem to want to drive at 60 mph, the road is just wide enough to fit one car down at times and people drive 2 yards from your back bumper? Never been so scared in a car in my life, never again.

Have been to Naples (not driven there and would deffo not) and it was like driving dodgems. Coming back from one end of Naples in a taxi one night and it was taking us to our hotel at the front of the train station. The taxi pulled over to let a police car through that had its blues and twos on. When the police car went by the taxi stuck straight behind the police car, the police car was leathering it through the trees and the taxi was 5ft behind the copper. Everyone was trying to budge in and do the same. It was an unbelievable ride. When we got out you could see his car was a right mess. Bumps and scratches all over.
Amalfi coast is a stunning beautiful coastline. but it can only really be viewed by road and what a road it is. Did it on the local bus from Sorrento to Amalfi. Enjoyed it so much we did it again the day after. Would I do it in a car. Dream on.

teetime75

Medal Winner
Visit site
[Amalfi coast is a stunning beautiful coastline. but it can only really be viewed by road and what a road it is. Did it on the local bus from Sorrento to Amalfi. Enjoyed it so much we did it again the day after. Would I do it in a car. Dream on.[/QUOTE]

If you go again Tashyboy take a boat trip.
The view from the sea is fantastic.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I lived in Naples for a year, certainly one of the most chaotic places I've driven but defo not the most aggressive. Saudi wins that hands down.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Unfortunately Naples is memorable for all the wrong reasons. But you have to go there to travel onto Sorrento, Amalfi coast, Ischia, Capri, Pompei etc all of which are stunning.

was in Milan on Tuesday and had a gorgeous Gelateria in the plaza Duomo. It was the same ice cream shop in which someone tried picking my rucksack 10 yr ago. I went after him but another guy with his family stopped me and said they carry knives and will use them.

Another time a pal of mine whilst outside the San Siro in Milan had a pick pockets hand in his coat pocket. He turned round and hit him full in the face, he was 6ft 3".