What has been the "best" car you owned?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Most of my working career was spent out on the road and I've always had an interest in cars so had a few that I've really enjoyed. My current BMW 335d MSport is probably the 'best' car I've had. Remapped to 400BHP so all the power you need on the road but still capable of 45mpg in everyday use and 50mpg if going easy. Enough room for my clubs, fun to drive and a nice looking car as well.
Other notables include a BMW 325d MSport, 2 Vectra GSI's, a Golf GTI and a remapped Mini Cooper SD. Wow that was fun to drive! As a tool for my job though I think a Rover 214SLi was probably the best car. Had it for 3 years from new, covered 97k miles in it and it was absolutely faultless, not even a blown bulb. Comfortable, reliable, economical and practical.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had one. The MOT garage called them " bomb proof". And they certainly were. Brilliant cars.
My mum has an Avensis, auto. It must be 12 + years old. A couple of years ago she was muttering about changing it as it was getting old when collecting it from a service. The mechanic handing it back told her not to, it was a diamond. It's never missed a beat, it just keeps going. It's as dull as dishwater but the bomb proof title is well earned.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
My "best" car was the Mondeo MK1, 2litre with all the gadgets in. Smooth as silk on the motorway. Great in town. Got it for £800 with 40k on the clock. Only had it for 18 months as it got nicked off me drive one night. I'm currently looking for a new car as the club's don't quite fit in the boot of my Mazda 3 which is a shame.

NedPizza

Visit site
Datsun Cherry, loved that car as never had a problem with it and engine was so quiet.

Now my BMW E39 582i, silky smooth engine but expensive on fuel, but as its my weekend car not so much of a problem.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Torn between two if I’m honest.

I traded my 06 v6 mondeo ST220 for a fully specced BMW E60 550i with a beast of a 4.8 litre v8.

Thing had a list price of about 68k but I got it 6 years old with 40k on the clock for a staggering 16 grand.

Was phenomenally quick through every gear. Sounded fantastic too.

However I’ll plump and say My current 17 plate Audi S5 sportback trumps it.

It looks the dogs, is rapid enough for me and despite Doing 0-60 in about 4 seconds, it still can achieve 34mpg on the motorway

First Quattro I’ve had but won’t be the last. I can throw it into corners at speeds I would have not considered sane, in any other car.

The turbocharged V6 sounds sexy as hell too.

It’s also extremely comfy despite its suspension setup.

A proper all rounder with a very naughty streak.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most of my working career was spent out on the road and I've always had an interest in cars so had a few that I've really enjoyed. My current BMW 335d MSport is probably the 'best' car I've had. Remapped to 400BHP so all the power you need on the road but still capable of 45mpg in everyday use and 50mpg if going easy. Enough room for my clubs, fun to drive and a nice looking car as well.
Other notables include a BMW 325d MSport, 2 Vectra GSI's, a Golf GTI and a remapped Mini Cooper SD. Wow that was fun to drive! As a tool for my job though I think a Rover 214SLi was probably the best car. Had it for 3 years from new, covered 97k miles in it and it was absolutely faultless, not even a blown bulb. Comfortable, reliable, economical and practical.

What remap did you go for bud?

Aside from my s6, I’m currently in possession of my late dads BMW f06 640d. It’s an incredible car but was sniffing around a remap potentially.

It certainly does not need anymore power. However I’m always curious in the ‘art of the possible’ ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

What remap did you go for bud?

Aside from my s6, I’m currently in possession of my late dads BMW f06 640d. It’s an incredible car but was sniffing around a remap potentially.

It certainly does not need anymore power. However I’m always curious in the ‘art of the possible’ ?
Celtic tuning down in Cornwall although they do have mobile guys if you don't fancy the drive. If you do go down though they will dyno your car for free ?

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Range Rover Sport SDV8 Autobiography Dynamic (4.4 Twin Turbo V8 Diesel) with pretty much every option going. Comfiest, nicest place to be in any car I've ever owned. Certain things like remote climate/seat warming/cooling etc. I can't live without now so had to also get the relevant in control subscriptions which last for 3 years at a time.

Picked it up in December to replace my Tesla Model X, was a great car but let down with cheap feel interior with exception of the main screen, the tech was amazing though and a lot of cool features. Just feel as a complete package the range rover nails it for me as an everyday mile muncher. I've always been a petrol head and whilst I did enjoy the tesla it never charmed me.

Had the Range Remapped last weekend and it has no right to move like it does with its size, 402 bhp and 810Nm torque now and averages 40mpg down the M1. Absolutely fantastic all around car. Already done 5k in it and loved every mile.

Last edited:

RichA

Visit site
Year 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0 Orvis edition.
Beautiful, characterful, comfortable, powerful - the original SUV. Looked like a 9-year old's drawing of a car, like a box with wheels. Can't believe Mrs A bullied me into selling it for something "more reliable". It never let me down once.
The Golf R that replaced isn't too shabby, to be fair.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Datsun Cherry, loved that car as never had a problem with it and engine was so quiet.

Now my BMW E39 582i, silky smooth engine but expensive on fuel, but as its my weekend car not so much of a problem.

Sorry to produce a quote from a month back but my Dad had a Datsun Cherry back in the 80s - I am an 80s kid so just about remember it. It had a fantastic engine but the body was god awful :p

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Torn between two if I’m honest.

I traded my 06 v6 mondeo ST220 for a fully specced BMW E60 550i with a beast of a 4.8 litre v8.

Thing had a list price of about 68k but I got it 6 years old with 40k on the clock for a staggering 16 grand.

Was phenomenally quick through every gear. Sounded fantastic too.

However I’ll plump and say My current 17 plate Audi S5 sportback trumps it.

It looks the dogs, is rapid enough for me and despite Doing 0-60 in about 4 seconds, it still can achieve 34mpg on the motorway

First Quattro I’ve had but won’t be the last. I can throw it into corners at speeds I would have not considered sane, in any other car.

The turbocharged V6 sounds sexy as hell too.

It’s also extremely comfy despite its suspension setup.

A proper all rounder with a very naughty streak.

This is what I love about my M340i. Just a plain old family saloon to the eye but has that potential underneath without being as ostentatious as a full blood M car.
Remapped recently giving it a few extra horses its certainly a keeper...

For now.

RichA

Visit site
This is what I love about my M340i. Just a plain old family saloon to the eye...
Only if you optioned it with a Nissan Bluebird body kit. Nice looking car.
I used similar justification for the Golf R. "It's a VW Golf. It's basically a practical shopping car."
Once she figured out the truth she claimed it as her own and I was left to drive the clunker.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only if you optioned it with a Nissan Bluebird body kit. Nice looking car.
I used similar justification for the Golf R. "It's a VW Golf. It's basically a practical shopping car."
Once she figured out the truth she claimed it as her own and I was left to drive the clunker.

Think its just the exhausts that are different between the 330 and the 340 on the G20 3er.

She has a CLA45S that she just got to replace her X4 30d so I get to keep mine ?

RichA

Visit site
Chopped the clunker Saab last year for a G30 x-drive. That gave Mrs A a dilemma. The Golf is fun but the BMW is oh so comfortable.