Thoughts?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Best will in the world, will someone reoffend regarding this issue is quite a deep thing. It would take more than a few questions from untrained golf members to get to the bottom of his true situation. You would hope the club have some restrictions in place.

Totally agree but if the club are aware of Johnson and his past, you have to assume (trust) that they will make judgement calls on who he can play with in terms of competitions and what and where he can do in the club, course and practice facilities in terms of U18's being around. Call me a radical, but maybe, just maybe, all he wants to do is get a break from the self-imposed spotlight and escape and enjoy a few hours on the course

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My responses were initiated by your first reply (which you edited)
Of course they know who he is, but the Club is more than a Golf Club, it holds weddings, does lunches etc is open to the Public, all of those events could include children in attendance.
He could of made all the promises in the world to join that Club, but ultimately they are carrying the risk.
There is no way in this world they can guarantee he wouldn’t reoffend.
Obviously we all hope he doesn’t, I just very much doubt it’s all based in a feeling.
Where do you draw the line? Should he be allowed down his local Asda? There might be kids shopping with their mums. Should he be allowed to have a walk in the park? What if some kids are playing football there?

D

Deleted member 16999

Where do you draw the line? Should he be allowed down his local Asda? There might be kids shopping with their mums. Should he be allowed to have a walk in the park? What if some kids are playing football there?
Do you do this on purpose? Are any of your examples private clubs were you have to apply to gain entry?
See Backwoodsman’s reply.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To those who say he’s served his time....would you feel the same way if it was your daughter he had groomed and abused?

Likewise what if you were the one in AJ’s shoes?

I hope that last question disgusts you as much as it does me, and yet he is still defended?

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
To those who say he’s served his time....would you feel the same way if it was your daughter he had groomed and abused?

Likewise what if you were the one in AJ’s shoes?

I hope that last question disgusts you as much as it does me, and yet he is still defended?

I have two daughters however the law isn’t seen from the eyes of the offended it’s seen from impartiality. I don’t believe in the death penalty however if someone murdered my daughter I could be tempted to change my views. Does that then make my views any more correct? If someone stole from my house do I have right to want their hand chopped off?

I’ll reiterate this, If he has no restrictions placed on him and the golf club then decide to place restrictions on him he is being discriminated against regardless if you like it or not. The issue is no one is a member who can say for a fact, people are speculating based on an article from the sun or whatever source it is (haven’t given it the clickbait opening those articles crave)

D

Deleted member 16999

I have two daughters however the law isn’t seen from the eyes of the offended it’s seen from impartiality. I don’t believe in the death penalty however if someone murdered my daughter I could be tempted to change my views. Does that then make my views any more correct? If someone stole from my house do I have right to want their hand chopped off?

I’ll reiterate this, If he has no restrictions placed on him and the golf club then decide to place restrictions on him he is being discriminated against regardless if you like it or not. The issue is no one is a member who can say for a fact, people are speculating based on an article from the sun or whatever source it is (haven’t given it the clickbait opening those articles crave)
It’s not all speculation and some of us live within 15 miles of the Club and 8 miles of his home, some of us are also JLO’s in the area and may of been involved in discussions reference our own Club.
I totally agree with the bit in bold and mentioned similar in my first post on the thread.
It is not about him and any promises he may or may not state or gut feelings of any one individual, it is solely about the Club and them ensuring they have policies and procedures in place to guarantee the safety of children on their premises from any sort of harm.
How their membership respond and any fallout that may or may not occur will also be down to them.

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
It’s not all speculation and some of us live within 15 miles of the Club and 8 miles of his home, some of us are also JLO’s in the area and may of been involved in discussions reference our own Club.
I totally agree with the bit in bold and mentioned similar in my first post on the thread.
It is not about him and any promises he may or may not state or gut feelings of any one individual, it is solely about the Club and them ensuring they have policies and procedures in place to guarantee the safety of children on their premises from any sort of harm.
How their membership respond and any fallout that may or may not occur will also be down to them.
If he has no restrictions placed upon him they cannot have anything in place or else they will be using part history against him. If he has restrictions in place the club will be aware and will follow or else he’ll be hauled back off to jail it’s pretty simple

D

Deleted member 16999

No it’s not that simple, ie, he’s playing the 4th and puts his ball in the trees, a 14yr playing the 9th and puts her ball in the same trees unbeknown to each other and completely innocent they come into contact, still simple?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No it’s not that simple, ie, he’s playing the 4th and puts his ball in the trees, a 14yr playing the 9th and puts her ball in the same trees unbeknown to each other and completely innocent they come into contact, still simple?

Definitely agree it's not simple but I do think if the club have put "appropriate" policies and procedures in place they will have been seen to have taken all reasonable care of their members. Now should a meeting as you describe take place, there would be other PP's in the vicinity if not looking for one or both balls and so while I get the connotation you are making in truth, do you think anything untoward would happen (especially with only 3 minutes to look for a ball now lol!!!)

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hang him by his Todger and cut his throat.

Barbaric, some might say, theres no defence for nonce's.

He’s not a paedophile. The girl in question was not pre-pubescent.

I’m not defending the man, but I doubt Golf Monthly are going to be very happy about people making allegations of him being a “nonce” on their website.

There is a clear distinction between someone that broke the law and did something that society considers (quite rightly) to be wholly unacceptable, and someone that finds pre-pubescent children sexually attractive.

I wouldn’t want unsavoury characters joining a golf club I was a member of, but I’m sure there are plenty. I can’t see Johnson posing a danger to any juniors at a golf club, but ultimately, if it’s a members club, it’s up to the members.

D

Deleted member 16999

H
Definitely agree it's not simple but I do think if the club have put "appropriate" policies and procedures in place they will have been seen to have taken all reasonable care of their members. Now should a meeting as you describe take place, there would be other PP's in the vicinity if not looking for one or both balls and so while I get the connotation you are making in truth, do you think anything untoward would happen (especially with only 3 minutes to look for a ball now lol!!!)
His first contact with his victim was an autograph, how long did that take?

HamiltonGuy

Visit site

Do you know if he has restrictions in place that he cannot come into contact with a 14yr old? If he has no restrictions then yes it is pretty simple he can come into contact with anyone without breaking his licence

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site

Not defending the scumbag in any way but do you not think he would have more opportunity (not sure if that's the right word) to re-offend whilst travelling those 15 or 8 miles or indeed while just going about his life, rather than on what is a relatively closed community of a golf club ? Surely if he has been released early there will have been assessments and such, also i would have thought he would have had to inform someone of his intention to join a facility where young people are around as part of his release clauses?

User20204

Visit site
I’m not defending the man, but I doubt Golf Monthly are going to be very happy about people making allegations of him being a “nonce” on their website.

I've been labelled a nonce sympathiser, beggars belief the replies on here, if you have a differing opinion to some on here you're a ***/troll and a nonce sympathiser, but it seems golf monthly find that certain members on here can say whatever they wish, with impunity.

The fox in a coup comment tells you how their minds work, no wonder the country is in the state it's in with the mindset of some.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

what would happen in none golf life when a person like Johnson is let out of prison, on the register and happens to be in a situation - like a supermarket, restaurant etc and a 15 year old walks down the same isle/sits opposite at a table?

D

Deleted member 16999

Do you know if he has restrictions in place that he cannot come into contact with a 14yr old? If he has no restrictions then yes it is pretty simple he can come into contact with anyone without breaking his licence
I don’t care about him, I care about the young girls and protecting them from him and his sort, his restrictions, or lack of, are down to the probation service.

D

Deleted member 16999

Not defending the scumbag in any way but do you not think he would have more opportunity (not sure if that's the right word) to re-offend whilst travelling those 15 or 8 miles or indeed while just going about his life, rather than on what is a relatively closed community of a golf club ? Surely if he has been released early there will have been assessments and such, also i would have thought he would have had to inform someone of his intention to join a facility where young people are around as part of his release clauses?
As I posted above, so long as the Club believes they are covered by their policies and procedures then the risk is up to them.