Things We Take For Granted

• Thread starter Deleted member 16999
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

Posted in the Random Irritations thread early about a power cut in the local area, affected over 4,000 homes.

Northern Power initially stated it would be restored by 10 tonight, it came back on just after 8pm, 3 cheers for Northern Power.

Anyway, it caused a small bit of chaos in our house, some genuine issues and some just plain daft ones.

One daft one was making a brew on the stove the wife spilt sugar on the floor, carpet tiles, and she couldn't hoover it up, did the dustpan and brush thing, but for the next 10 minutes went into a flat spin about armies of ants invading and wasps, bluebottles the lot because she was sure we didn't get all the sugar up.

Genuine issue, my M-in-Law has terminal cancer and we've moved her in with us to look after her, she was tired with the heat today so she lay on her bed with a couple of fans in the room to keep her cool, not only did she start to overheat and get uncomfortable we couldn't move her downstairs cos the stairlift was off.

Hope did families and people cope 40-50 years ago without lots of things we take for granted.

Bit of blessing it was summer and not winter, it would've been dark by 4 and whole lot of other issues would've raised their head.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
About 20 years ago I bought a 2nd hand 3kw generator because my missus broke both ankles and was bed ridden in summer while the road was tore up. Cost about £200 notes < I isolate the mains and plug it in the 13 amp socket ring. Sits in the garage I check it often but only used a few times a boon.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My sister was up at the weekend. We went out on Saturday and it was obviously very hot. We got in the car, climate control kicked in and we reminisced about family holidays in a car in the 70's, plastic seats, no aircon. How did we managed two weeks in August, Cheshire to central France? The answer is we knew no different. Same for Paul's story.

Life is soft now. I prefer it &#128513;.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
When I worked at Rufford pit about 30 yrs ago we had a power cut a couple of weeks before Christmas. Everyone at the pit had picked up there free frozen turkey and were crapping bricks coz they thought it would defrost. Lo and behold, every garden on our estate had a six foot pile of snow in there front gardens and sat in the middle was said turkey with the rest of the frozen stuff.
the power was off for a couple of days due to the freezing temps. As soon as the power came back the stuff went back in the freezer and a claim went into the insurance company for hundreds of pounds worth of defrosted stock that was no food.
The only lifeline was the radios which run on batteries. Someone advised flushing the toilets with the water from the snow. An hour later the radio presenter had to explain that the snow has to melt before it could be flushed. People were cramming snow into the cisterns and could not understand why it would not flush.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Having money to spend on food and the certainty of having a roof over my head.

This said having seen my son homeless and having no money at all having been sanctioned.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Was thinking about my Dad Sunday. Anyone missing their Dad?

[video=youtube;C7OgO0oFf1I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7OgO0oFf1I[/video]