Enjoy every second

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I wish you and your mum well also. Tragedy hits us all at different points in life and at times the pain is beyond imaginable. It is so true that we don't value life and good health in particular enough. We don't appreciate the simple things in life often enough and sadly it often takes a tragedy to remind us of what is truly important.

I lost both my parents quite young in life and unlike many other relationships their is simply no replacement for mums and dads. Enjoy every moment and above all never forget as a parent they will always want the best for you....therefore do whatever it is that keeps you healthy, sane and balanced as I have little doubt your mum would want that for her child.

Hoping all works out well

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Today of all days am gutted for you me man. Hope coming on here and talking about it helps especially with some of the heartfelt comments.
Oddly enough I had never been on a golf course on my own until last week when I played our par three. Thoroughly enjoyed the time on my own. It was odd having thoughts to myself. Don't matter where it is, but you need " me time" to recharge your batteries and have time to think. The game/score is not as important as the " me time".
Best of luck in the near future.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thoughts are with you Capella and completely get the golf course therapy nothing wrong with it in the slightest so no need to feel bad, you’ve enough on your plate but hope for the best outcome

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Thank you all so much for your kind words. You really made me feel better.

My dad just told me on the phone that when he visited my mom today, she told him how much she hopes they will be able to play golf again together later this year, even if it was just three or five holes or "maybe we can take a cart". That's my mom for you. Her left side is completely paralised at the moment, she cannot swallow and has to be fed through a tube, my dad and I worry if she will ever be able to eat and walk again, and she is planning golf rounds :cool: I always said she is a greater golf nut than me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

My dad just told me on the phone that when he visited my mom today, she told him how much she hopes they will be able to play golf again together later this year, even if it was just three or five holes or "maybe we can take a cart". That's my mom for you. Her left side is completely paralised at the moment, she cannot swallow and has to be fed through a tube, my dad and I worry if she will ever be able to eat and walk again, and she is planning golf rounds :cool: I always said she is a greater golf nut than me.

At this stage, don't worry too much about the tube. It's very common and I expect your mum will be on a large amount of sedation to try and take pressure off the brain and help her whole body recover. It's good that she is talking so positively and hopefully she'll get some aggressive (in a good way) physio while she is in ICU to try and get movement to all limbs as early as possible. Realistically, it'll be a long road and while its feasible she may get her out in a cart to play, please bear in mind it may not happen this year or at all. Aside from that I am pleased to see your mum looking on the positive side and I hope she continues to make good progress. Please continue to update us and hope you continue to be able to get on the course to clear your own head as often as possible

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
This one is a bit up close and personal, but I need to get this out of my system. My mum, who got me into playing and is also my favorite golf sidekick, had a stroke earlier this week. She is still in the ICU and at the moment it looks as if she is probably never going to play again. I am totally devastated. She had been feeling under the weather for about two weeks, but her doctor did not find anything and we thought she was maybe just coming down with the flu or something. But the stroke itself came pretty much out of the blue.

I took a few days off from work (luckily my bosses were very understanding), but since I can only visit her for a few hours in the afternoon as long as she is in the ICU, there is really not much I can do for her. And the weather has been gorgeous here the past few days. So to keep my mind off things and clear my head, I did go to the golf course almost every day. I felt very egoistic doing this, but on the other hand, it always gives me something to talk about to my mum when I get to the hospital.

I think where I am going with this is: when you play with friends or your loved ones and also the ability to play yourself, don't take it for granted. Savor every second of it, because it can be over so quickly.

Amen and sympathy to this from me! I 'lost' much of my brother to stroke(s) a long time ago. I wish you both well and hope she makes a better recovery that the current prognosis indicates. A lot of the 'recovery' is dependent on the patient's attitude, so be positive. It can be a long process, but she seems to have the determination and realism to recover pretty well.

You are, of course, correct about enjoying every second! And it's not a negative thought!

Last edited:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

Sorry to hear the news Jutta. I wish your mum a speedy recovery, i love her attitude and positivity. That's the first big step.

D

Deleted member 21258

Hope you mum recovers and makes it back to the golf course. Sounds like you mental approach is brilliant.

Life and health well being can to short, and no time like now to do something you would always have liked to.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry to hear this sad news Capella.I hope in time your Mum makes a good recovery.
I was chatting to my Brother in Law recently, who is a Stroke Ambassador, and asked him his best advice for someone who's had a stroke, his reply was, "They should do everything possible to not have another one". Mainly by changing their lifestyle and diet.
Can i suggest you google : Stroke Association, where you will find lots of useful advice and information.

Best wishes to you and your Mum on her recovery.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

Sorry to hear about your mum, but this post did make me smile. You're mum seems a fighter and a positive person, you MUST be the same for her as this time. (As I'm sure you will be). I wish you and your mum and dad, the very best.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Sorry to hear this sad news Capella.I hope in time your Mum makes a good recovery.
I was chatting to my Brother in Law recently, who is a Stroke Ambassador, and asked him his best advice for someone who's had a stroke, his reply was, "They should do everything possible to not have another one". Mainly by changing their lifestyle and diet.
Can i suggest you google : Stroke Association, where you will find lots of useful advice and information.

Best wishes to you and your Mum on her recovery.
Thanks. But that's the sad irony: my mom is one of the most health aware persons I know. She is not overweight, eats a good varied mostly home cooked diet, always make sure she gets enough fruits and veggies, eats fresh fish twice a week, little red meat etc. She quit smoking more than 30 years ago and hardly ever drinks any alcohol (like maybe a glass of wine once or twice a year). On top of playing golf at least once a week she always tries to go for a walk or get some other light exercise in every day. She goes to bed early and is also a very relaxed person who does not stress or worry much. She meticulously goes to all health check ups regularly and the doc is always impressed with how good her blood values are etc. I really can't think of a single thing to change that would reduce her stroke risk.

My dad is a chain smoker and he did have a lot of trouble with clogged arteries in the last couple of years. Him having a stroke would still have hit me hard, but it would not have surprised me in the slightest.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I know not all strokes are the same, as are not us humans. My mum had a stroke a few years back, she was living on her own in America, fortunately, when she didn't show for work someone went round and found her. She has since recovered almost fully with regards to her motor abilities and speech etc. She is not the fittest, and is massively overweight, but otherwise eats and drinks pretty healthily. Life isn't always fair but if my mum got through it, there is hope for your mum. Wish you both good health.