Asda won't print my cake! Any Copyright Law experts here?

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My local Asda offer a service whereby you can upload a photo to a machine from your phone and they'll print it out onto a birthday cake for you. I have done this before at the same branch and on that occasion it was for my youngest son and they printed a picture of Brennan Johnson with no issues.

It's now my oldest son's birthday and I thought I'd do the same for him. I found a picture of his favourite player Alisson Becker on Google, uploaded it to the machine and went to the bakery to collect. Woman came out from the back and said "Sorry we can't print this. It's a footballer. We're not allowed to for copyright reasons." I looked puzzled, expressed my surprise and explained I'd done it before at the same branch with no issues. She said "Well whoever did it shouldn't have done. It's us who'll get the fine." So I had to leave it.

Now, I don't wish to have a go at Asda or their staff. I have no doubt the woman was correct in everything she said. Them's the rules, that's the law and the staff member who did the previous one for me was either ignorant of that, didn't clock that it was a footballer, or didn't care.

What I am very interested in is the actual application of this law. Specifically, in what scenario and circumstances would Asda actually end up on the receiving end of a fine if they had printed a picture of Alisson on my son's birthday cake? How would the chain of events go which ended in them having to pay out?

In my case I'd take the cake home, my son would love it, we'd eat it and that would be the end of it. But I suppose in theory "someone" could see that cake and set off a legal chain of events. But who could bring this case about? Would it have to be Alisson himself (or his representaives)? Does he own the copyright to his image? Would it perhaps be his employers, Liverpool FC who instructed their lawyers to go after Asda? Would it be the person who took the picture, or the company who employs him/her? Or could it just be any random busybody - and if so, where would they direct their complaint about this?

As said, I'm not seeking to slag off Asda. Just genuinely interested in these issues!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I can only think it is something to do with image rights, which I believe is where footballers and others sell the rights to their images, but that’s just a layman’s educated guess, no expertise involved at all.

MACM85

Visit site
I would imagine that due to Asda not owning the image rights to Alisson or any other football player then they are unable to offer that service. It is daft but that is the law. On the very slim chance that Alisson was to see it or his people then Asda could have a legal case and have no option to pay out due to the evidence being cleary against them.

Look at it the other way video games like Fifa have to pay to get image rights from football clubs, players and nations. If they don't then they have to call the team something else or change the badge or withdraw the player from the game.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suspect that it would be a comulative effect. One cake would not make any difference but Asda could potentially be selling thousands of cakes every day. This would be pretty profitable and so you can see a group action be it from a club, management company or any other body on the part of their members or clients. Not tried it but I suspect that there are other issues with pop stars, superheroes and all sorts. Guess the may have had a legal letter or two as this sounds like the response of a company that has been burnt before.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is also a copyright on the actual photo for the person who took it.

I would say as Asda are using the photo for profit then the copy right rules apply ( I would expect there to be copyright issues even if there are no profits involved).

Using others photos without permission is something we tend to take for granted in this internet age.

Last edited:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
It's quite simple. Whoever took the photo owns the copyright, full stop. That person may have given a licence to a third party to use the image. Either of these parties has a right to sue anyone who uses it without permission. It's unlikely anyone would find out that their image was being stolen but an organisation like Asda must be seen to be obeying the law.

I was a pro photographer before I retired & it wasn't unusual for people to download watermarked photos from my website. I could, in theory, have sued them but it would never have been worth it.

The likes of Getty Images have been known to sue individuals who have used their images on Facebook & websites. They are quite ruthless & would certainly have a go at Asda if they found out, even after the evidence was down the toilet.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Agree with the others. Have you considered writing to Liverpool explaining the situation, how your son idolises him, pictures on his wall etc, enclose the pic and ask whether Alison would confirm it is OK for pic on birthday cake only.

Great PR for The Club and win/win for you and your son. May even receive a signed photo!

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies all.

It's quite simple. Whoever took the photo owns the copyright, full stop. That person may have given a licence to a third party to use the image. Either of these parties has a right to sue anyone who uses it without permission. It's unlikely anyone would find out that their image was being stolen but an organisation like Asda must be seen to be obeying the law.

I was a pro photographer before I retired & it wasn't unusual for people to download watermarked photos from my website. I could, in theory, have sued them but it would never have been worth it.

The likes of Getty Images have been known to sue individuals who have used their images on Facebook & websites. They are quite ruthless & would certainly have a go at Asda if they found out, even after the evidence was down the toilet.

Ok this is interesting. My question was WHO could bring about a case against Asda. If I understand your reply correctly, it’s the person who took the photo who could do it (or whichever third party they gave the rights to). NOT Alisson himself. Alisson wouldn’t have a case. Only the photographer (or third party) would.

Have I got that right…?

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agree with the others. Have you considered writing to Liverpool explaining the situation, how your son idolises him, pictures on his wall etc, enclose the pic and ask whether Alison would confirm it is OK for pic on birthday cake only.

Great PR for The Club and win/win for you and your son. May even receive a signed photo!

I like this idea!