There is a Viable Alternative to Apple and Android. Loving my Windows Phone

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
There have been a number of threads on here about Apple and Android phones and until recently I have been an Android fan. I liked the flexibility to be able to set up a phone just how I wanted. The problem is that with every one I have had, the phone has started to run slowly after a while and some research seems to suggest that this is no unusual with android.
As I had 6 months still to run on my contract and felt like a change I decided to take a punt on a windows phone. Not as popular, certainly not fashionable but from what I had read the operating system is stable, intuitive and runs very smoothly. After a few weeks of use I have to agree. It is easy to set up, easy to use, talks to my PC and my Xbox as you would expect and it is just a very good system. The Lumia 640 I picked up for £110.00 new with no contract does pretty much everything you would want a smartphone to do without the unnecessary gimmicks that clog up most new phone releases. It also has the benefit of a changeable battery and expandable memory so should last a while and allow me a far cheaper, sim only contract next year.
So, just thought I would post something about this as there is an alternative to the 2 big players that sits somewhere inbetween the 2 for reliability and ability to customise. Looking forward to the windows 10 upgrade now.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not so convinced its android itself but the bloatware most of the manufacturers, especially Samsung, overload their new phones with that cause the issues ultimately. Am on my second Sony and after clearing off all the unneeded software not had any problems with the phones slowing down at all.

That said, am about to replace the old nexus tablet and definitely think Windows 10 the way to go for this now, just got to find a few pennies more to be able to afford the Surface I want

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I've had my first Android (Sony Xperia Z3 Compact) since last November. I like it. Previously had a Lumia 820 with Windows Phone 8. The main reason for switching for me was the Sony Phone itself, battery life etc and very much the app availability - I had to wait ages for some pretty basic apps (banking etc) to be available on Windows. That said, I've just upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 (from 7) and it's made me realise just how much I actually miss my Windows Phone. It is a really easy interface, and the convergence with the PC OS is really nice. Come upgrade time I'll certainly be considering moving back.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
What impressed me was the way it took everything from my old phone. Connected them over Bluetooth and the windows phone found and ported over all my contacts, photos, texts and music in minutes

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I use an iPhone for work and an Android for personal use. Thankfully my Android is a Motorola Moto G so it doesn't get stuffed with all the bloatware that you find on so many others.
The Father-in-Law has the Nokia 750 and I am impressed by it. Easy to use interface, good sturdy phone. I could be tempted next time.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's no Yahoo Fantasy Sports app available on windows phones, so it's a no go for me, when I'm running up to 5 fantasy sports leagues at a time! (among other things).

Plus I now get a work phone, which will be (hopefully, if they're released in time) an iPhone 6S in January. :thup:

DCB

Visit site
Been using Nokia Lucia at work this past few months and have to say it's not too shabby at all. A windows phone, so no problem using it along with my windows laptop, no special drivers or sync software needed. Good battery life, good screen size. Very happy with it. Far better than the HTC I had issued before it 😉

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
GB72, do you use the GM forum on your phone and if so which browser.

On my 2nd and still have problems, but only on this site.