The time has come....

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Alot of good advice above regarding expectations and swinging easy,you should definitely take that in...but... it's one of life's joys to breath in the fresh air, take in the view, smile to yourself as you toss the headcover off your driver full of intent as you tee it high and let it fly!! Scuff it? Probably and do what?..but....., what if you nail it ?? It's why we're all here.......

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Don't worry about the tough course talk, if you've never played before the difficulty of the course won't mean a thing to you as you'll have nothing to compare it against.
Just play your best, enjoy the highs and the lows, take in the experience and hopefully you'll be hooked like so many on here.

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
Keep your head down! there is a tendency in beginners to look for where the ball has gone before you've hit it, resulting in it being topped or missed completely.

Pancho Villa

Hacker
Visit site
Don't worry about the tough course talk, if you've never played before the difficulty of the course won't mean a thing to you as you'll have nothing to compare it against.
Just play your best, enjoy the highs and the lows, take in the experience and hopefully you'll be hooked like so many on here.
Spot on this in my humble opinion.i was in a similar position to you about 6 years ago.
I played the Kernow first and then the Nicklaus.Got absolutely beaten up but i parred the 11th on the Nicklaus and I was hooked.
I wish you all the best playing St Mellion and just enjoy the experience 👍

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You may be against it, but considering people's comments, then I would suggest being a little relaxed on rules to give yourself a chance. So if the yellows have a 150yd carry you can't hit then tee it up on the reds. I'd also suggest teeing every shot up (even on the fairway) until you're round by the green if you find that easier to hit an iron that way.

Plenty of time once you've got used to the game to make it harder for yourself.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Keep your head down! there is a tendency in beginners to look for where the ball has gone before you've hit it, resulting in it being topped or missed completely.

I don't mean to be picky but that's not what I'd advise.
I'd go for keep your head still, but I'm prepared to be corrected. (y)

JayPR

Visit site
So, just on the way back from St Mellion after my first two games of golf ever.

Yesterday-Kernow, Enjoyed it, had some terrible holes, had some good (for me) holes.

Woke up this morning, a bit more confidence, went on the range, hot some good balls, went to the Nicklaus course, hated every second. What a knob head of a course. It destroyed me. Lost balls, lost my head, score was ridiculous.

That is the summary of my first two games!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
As predicted .... you are not first to experience that and you won’t be the last. Anything other than a good shot there is punished, severely. I’ve seen single figure golfers walk off dejected...

But, remember the landscape and views and think...one day I’m going back and do ok. Hope overall you had a blast with your mates....after all, that’s what it’s about!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Yesterday-Kernow, Enjoyed it, had some terrible holes, had some good (for me) holes.

Woke up this morning, a bit more confidence, went on the range, hot some good balls, went to the Nicklaus course, hated every second. What a knob head of a course. It destroyed me. Lost balls, lost my head, score was ridiculous.

Keep the faith. You were warned about the Nicklaus course. It's eaten and spat out far better and experienced golfers from here than you and will continue to do so. Glad you enjoyed the Kernow and had some good holes. The bad holes will always be there (I managed a magnificent 24 points in a competition today and I've been playing on and off for forty years). Keep hitting the range, work on your game (maybe some more lessons) and simply have fun.

Pancho Villa

Hacker
Visit site

Don’t be too hard on yourself,the Nicklaus is a brute.
Hope you had a good laugh and just take the experience for what it is👍

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This weekend I am off to Cornwall for a weekend of golf with some friends!
Now, I have only been hitting a ball for a month.

I have had 3 lessons-Fundamentals, Putting and today, my swing!

I can’t consistently strike a ball and I can hit around 100 yards (I know right, long way to go)

i barely know golf etiquette! Dress codes and where to change shoes is what I have picked up.

I have a lot to learn but I am going to embrace the weekend, losing isn’t a worry. But....

If you could give me one piece of advice, what would it be?

Cheat And enjoy it

By that i mean tee it up all the way to the green

Practice then play by the rules at a later date