The Solheim pick up controversy - what should have happened?

Mandofred

Visit site
I agree that the European side shouldn't have picked up the ball, but that ball was not overhanging.

View attachment 38284
Actually....from this photo.....looks like it is just barely overhanging. Barely. Ain't gonna drop though......

People must really be bored to put this much angst into watching someone else play golf.......I only care about how I play golf.

Again I say....make everybody putt out......solves this problem entirely. I still hear people at the club whinging about how somebody in a match play didn't give them the putt....."I gave them a putt a few holes earlier!!" Feelings hurt all of the time. It's not hard to putt in a "gimmie". If they have to think about it and line it up.....it's not a gimmie.

CountLippe

Visit site
Again I say....make everybody putt out......solves this problem entirely. I still hear people at the club whinging about how somebody in a match play didn't give them the putt....."I gave them a putt a few holes earlier!!" Feelings hurt all of the time. It's not hard to putt in a "gimmie". If they have to think about it and line it up.....it's not a gimmie.

Half the fun of matchplay is the psychology around gimmies.
I never expect to be given anything, although if asked to finish a short one, I might decide to take an excessive amount of time to read and prepare.
Conceding easy putts early on prevents your opponent getting into a rythym, especially in foursomes.

Mandofred

Visit site
Half the fun of matchplay is the psychology around gimmies.
I never expect to be given anything, although if asked to finish a short one, I might decide to take an excessive amount of time to read and prepare.
Conceding easy putts early on prevents your opponent getting into a rythym, especially in foursomes.
I could say.......messing with people's heads isn't sportsmanship......:)

I agree with what you are saying though......I just think people are getting overly excited over something that is almost completely unimportant, as usual.

sunshine

Visit site
Both well before my golf playing times. Must just be coincidence that these unfortunate happenings have come at this event in recent times (y)

Since the battle of Brookline in 1999, I think the Ryder Cup has largely been played in the right spirit. It got out of hand in the 90s with the war on the shore at Kiawah etc. (before my time). We've seen some obnoxious fans certainly, but the players themselves have been competitive but gracious as far as the opposition are concerned.

The most offensive thing I can think of are some of the shirts the Americans have worn.

Mandofred

Visit site
The most offensive thing I can think of are some of the shirts the Americans have worn.
Won't quibble about offensive shirts because.....well....it's golf. The purposeful lack of taste is something golfers somehow seem to ignore when it suits them..............
Ian-Poulter-2.jpg

sunshine

Visit site
Won't quibble about offensive shirts because.....well....it's golf. The purposeful lack of taste is something golfers somehow seem to ignore when it suits them..............
Ian-Poulter-2.jpg

To be fair, the US team have looked pretty smart in recent years since Ralph Lauren sponsorship. I wonder what Justin Thomas will wear this time though?

Mandofred

Visit site
To be fair, the US team have looked pretty smart in recent years since Ralph Lauren sponsorship. I wonder what Justin Thomas will wear this time though?
I'm just constantly amazed that people care how other people are dressed. Me.....clothes are on....check. Did I go to the bathroom.....check. Is whatever I put on that morning stink?...check. I'm good to go.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think the whole thing should have been settled with a bare-knuckle fist fight..get Mel and DLD in there as back up and we'd have taken them...;)

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Its competitive sport, not an under 10s pitch and putt. That would just have made a mockery of it as a serious sporting event. What next: give putts here and there to ensure all matches go to the 18th, and concede putts to that the cup is halved and every one goes home happy with a medal ? If Korda had done that it would have been an unforgivable devaluing of the cup to a lets all be best girlfriends and ensure no hard feelings first and winning isnt what its about vibe. Making it just an exhibition match.
Maybe tell that to Jack Nicklaus?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
You can in fourballs if your partner is next to putt.

Your score will then be your side's score for that hole but the advantage to your side could be your partner's putt not giving a line to your opponents.

Query this? In fourball better ball, if I am furthest away ( thus being "our "turn ) my partner , being closest , could putt for , say, a four thus freeing me to go more boldly for a three. Which if I got it would be our sides score.

Re Lehman /Seve , if it were singles surely Lehman played out of turn if he putted out from the closer position? I don't recall what happened. Did Seve require him to replay ( in turn)?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I could say.......messing with people's heads isn't sportsmanship......:)

I agree with what you are saying though......I just think people are getting overly excited over something that is almost completely unimportant, as usual.

I understand re the sportsmanship angle, but in matchplay you are playing the opponent, not the course. That is known, so it isn't relevant to bring stroke play values into match play. Lulling opponents into a false sense of security is OK etc.
And I speak as one who is affected by this more than most if now called upon to sink a two foot telling putt suddenly at a vital stage of the match.
I have to say that I find a quite large number of members st a club who go into matches not knowing the difference in the rules that match play requires

wjemather

Visit site
Re Lehman /Seve , if it were singles surely Lehman played out of turn if he putted out from the closer position? I don't recall what happened. Did Seve require him to replay ( in turn)?
Lehman (well up in their match) putted up to the hole and tapped in from about 6 inches; having played out of turn, Seve complained and Lehman eventually replaced his ball and marked it. Seve claimed he wanted to use Lehman's marker as an aid in lining up his own putt - no gamesmanship involved (cough, cough).

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ah well it’s been and gone . But would have been funny if she had left it and Korda had waited 10s and done a slow walk … would have been worth asking if that was slow play??

sunshine

Visit site
I'm just constantly amazed that people care how other people are dressed. Me.....clothes are on....check. Did I go to the bathroom.....check. Is whatever I put on that morning stink?...check. I'm good to go.

You're amazed that people are interested in clothes and how they look?

In case you weren't aware, the fashion industry is pretty big. Most people like buying clothes, there are lots of shops selling clothes (online tool). It's been "a thing" for a while, thousands of years in fact.

D

Deleted member 18588

Query this? In fourball better ball, if I am furthest away ( thus being "our "turn ) my partner , being closest , could putt for , say, a four thus freeing me to go more boldly for a three. Which if I got it would be our sides score.

No. I believe onceyour partner had holed for a four that is your side's score for that hole.

Visit site
No. I believe onceyour partner had holed for a four that is your side's score for that hole.

Cracker - No wonder Captains Day 4BBB things are so slow, if people are marking their ball 1 inch away from the hole to avoid having their bogey 5 count for their team!!!

With regards to the topic of this thread, it's a completely ridiculous ruling and the official should never have got involved. It was never, ever dropping, nor overhanging and therefore was perfectly acceptable in my eyes to throw the ball back to her.