The Solheim pick up controversy - what should have happened?

D-S

Visit site
I thought the ref checked with the TV studio (she was talking for a bit of time on her radio) to check whether the footage showed whether it was overhanging or not as she could not see from her position. Either way, 7 seconds is pretty fast to walk from your position whilst the opponents are putting several yards away and pick up the ball. I think everyone has learnt a lesson, particularly the European players.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I saw the brief video of it. Looked like there was absolutely no way the ball would have dropped in. The American team should have just taken the gimme and moved on. As others have stated the rules official had no business getting involved unless called upon. And the American team potentially wouldn't have done. Honestly just looked like cheating from the rules official to favour the US team.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking at post 142 on the Solheim cup thread, the ball seems to be overhanging.
Not saying it's going to drop, just that some part if the ball seems to be overhanging.
AFAIK. No one has mentioned that the teams have probably , almost certainly, been told before play began, that referees will call rule breaches if seen.
A very unfortunate incident. Lesson learnt? Don't pick up the ball , just say "that's good" or similar.

I agree that the European side shouldn't have picked up the ball, but that ball was not overhanging.

Screenshot 2021-09-06 at 09.14.55.png

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have vague memories of the Solheim Cup having a few rules issues / controversies over the years, playing out of turn, putts given or not given etc, can't really think of any in the Ryder Cup (we will ignore charging over the green at Kiawah Island). Any particular reason why one has attracted them and the other has not?

Springveldt

Visit site
This and the fact they were 3.5 to 0.5 down down...The over zealous American referee wanted to help out a little. No way the ref could have seen from where she was that there that no part of the ball hanging over the hole.
After SKY interviewed one of the referees about 5 minutes after the incident, this was my feeling as well. The referee kept referring to Korda by first name, Nelly this, Nelly that and then stuttered and said “um, the European player picked it up at 7 seconds and didn’t give it the full 10 seconds so the decision is correct”.

I wonder if the referee would have been so quick to jump in if the roles were reversed?

The ball was never going to drop in, it wasn’t overhanging as the mass of the ball was all on the ground outside the hole, it was also past the hole on a downslope. They could have left it till today and it still wouldn’t be in the hole.

D

Deleted member 18588

I have vague memories of the Solheim Cup having a few rules issues / controversies over the years, playing out of turn, putts given or not given etc, can't really think of any in the Ryder Cup (we will ignore charging over the green at Kiawah Island). Any particular reason why one has attracted them and the other has not?
Charging over the green was at Brookline.

Kiawah Island was the distasteful "War on the shore!"

It was also one of the venues where Seve got involved in disputes with the Americans and had a troublesome cough.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because women are the worst cheats, obviously.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What should've happened is that it never should've happened

The planning and prep in these events is unbelievably detailed (we can see that) and as a controversial SC topic its hard to believe ‘concessions’ weren’t discussed in a team meeting prior to the event, but it seems not

Even a basic; So there’s no misunderstandings. When conceding a putt, this is what we’ll say, this is what we’ll do… ok everyone. Nice and friendly though, we can be informal without being unprofessional

If it had been discussed does anyone think 'touching/moving an opponents ball without the players consent’ would’ve been given the green light as a good thing to do?

Dam the US for not ‘correcting’ it but double dam Europe for causing it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Because women are the worst cheats, obviously.
It wasn't meant as a sexist pop at women. I don't watch the Solheim Cup but obviously dip in when certain things blow up. There just seem to be more of that type of incident in the Solheim than the Ryder Cup. The Ryder Cup has it own issues, fan behaviour being the number 1, but I don't remember rules officials stepping in too often on their own or at the behest of players.

sunshine

Visit site
By the rules what should have happened is exactly what did happen in this case

I’m not sure why it’s still such a big debate

The European was at fault and the referee acted how they had been instructed to act.

The players moved on - time for everyone else too now

Not sure about this. The timing and contribution of the referee is questionable. If she thought a breach had occurred she should have jumped in straight away and explained the issue, checked information from both teams, got the facts straight, consulted video footage if required. Instead the approach she followed came across as sneaky and under hand.

The US team then missed the chance to balance things out with a concession. This was a golden opportunity to provide a moment of genuine sporting history that would have elevated women's golf. I'm not going to be too harsh on the US players - they looked like rabbits in headlights - but a more measured response (from the captain?) was sorely missing.

YandaB

Visit site
If the referees were there to prevent rules infringements as has been suggested, then why did they not tell Sagstrom to leave the ball alone as it was overhanging the hole?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
How often do you see an opponent actually pick up a ball when conceding a putt? Normally they would say "That's fine" or similar and let them pick up their own ball. The fact she rushed in and picked it up looked to me like she thought it might drop.

peld

Visit site
after all this, I hope Europe ask the referees to watch Salas and the time she takes. Slowest player ive ever seen.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
How often do you see an opponent actually pick up a ball when conceding a putt? Normally they would say "That's fine" or similar and let them pick up their own ball. The fact she rushed in and picked it up looked to me like she thought it might drop.

Often enough that it is usually unremakable, actually, including at the Solheim.

D

Deleted member 1147

If I'm near the hole, and my opponent has put one close, I'll often knock or throw it back to them

D-S

Visit site
I seem to remember a kerfuffle with Seve and Tom Lehman regarding Lehman putting out when Seve 'wanted to use his marker as a line' as well as Kiawah, Brookline etc.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I seem to remember a kerfuffle with Seve and Tom Lehman regarding Lehman putting out when Seve 'wanted to use his marker as a line' as well as Kiawah, Brookline etc.
Azinger and beck switching balls during 4somes was a big stooshie at the time
Both well before my golf playing times. Must just be coincidence that these unfortunate happenings have come at this event in recent times (y)

D

Deleted member 18588

you cant put out in matchplay?
You can in fourballs if your partner is next to putt.

Your score will then be your side's score for that hole but the advantage to your side could be your partner's putt not giving a line to your opponents.