The Solheim pick up controversy - what should have happened?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Though I do recall playing a pairs comp with format that had first ball of a pair in the hole being the one that counted. I remember it well as my partner holed out before me for a par on a hole that I got a shot and he didn’t - with me yet to putt for a par. Can’t recall the name of the format or why it was played that way. I think it was better ball bogey but can‘t think why ‘ball in hole first‘ scores would add to the challenge or interest/fun.

The OP question. Though part of the ball overhung the hole, the ball’s CoG was nowhere near over the hole; it had stopped moving, and no way whatsoever was the ball going to drop ever. Rule is, or should surely be, that the 10s applies if there is any possibility of the ball dropping.

Cor Blimey. H - How the hell are you gonna decide whose opinion counts, I.e you consider it a possibility it might fall, Joe thinks there isn't a possibility etc etc.
The rule is clear and fair...."... if any part is overhanging.......the walk to the ball and then 10 seconds, applies."

The rule makers clearly reckon that if it ain't falling in that time - in excess of 10 seconds- then it ain't falling.

Seems fair. However,
If it were up to me, I would change the rule so that the ten seconds starts from the moment the ball comes to rest, I.e does not fall into the hole.
That stops different ideas of what is a reasonable time. Another subjective to be argued about.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also you can't play out of turn, so tapping in is out of turn
The ones I saw were for half.
Their op was halfway to the next tee and they are looking for a gimme from 2”.
It’s quicker to just put it in.
If the op was still to putt I am sure they would still be on the green and concede the putt.